Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..since I posted the 1st cheapest & best mod (adding red floor mats to a black interior) I've had a lot of emails about the red numbering on the shift-knob. So I'm posting the simple process here.

1. Buy "Testors" enamel paint from any craft store, like Michael's. It MUST be enamel. I recommend Testors FLAT RED ROUGE MAT color #1150, since it is "dead-on" to Guard's red. Naturally, buy the color that matches your sled...but mine is red. Buy the same size tiny jar we used to assemble model cars when we were young.

2. Have a dampened cotton wash cloth on the ready.

3. Get 7 toothpics, and use them to dip the toothpick tip into the paint (very slightly) then fill the shift numbers and pattern in. Use a new toothpick for each number. Once all valleys are filled, wipe gently with the dampened cloth. You may also use a professional micro paint brush also purchased at a craft store, but I used a toothpick...if your toothpick is a bit fat on the tip, sharpen it with a nail file...the sharper the better.

This is easier than it sounds...and a mistake like an over-fill is easily wiped clean with a damp cloth...without taking the paint out of the numbers.

Finally, when doing this...use a steady hand...and leave the beer in the fridge until AFTER you are finished. Good Luck!

PS: I purchased the Testors paint on-line..and it was cheap...but craft stores do carry it. Finally, when I go to PCA events, I get more comments on the colored shift numbers than I do the $4k machined wheels!

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Thanks for the write up and color tip (as I have guards red). You might consider putting this in the articles section.

-Moto

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
croscow

I Like your first 2 Ideas :banana:

Especially the painting of the shift knob .This is cool

I do agree its going to lead to some more interior painting to us mod addicted cayman owners .
maybe suncoast can start a special GB price for those painted interior parts? I am wanting those as well :gossip:

Keep up the cool ideas :thanks:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Also, an easy and very effective way to do this (i did it on my current S2K shift knob and it's working perfectly) is to get finger nail polish, paint it all over the general area of the engraved shift pattern, then wipe it down w/ finger nail polish remover---works like a charm every time and it lasts too!

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
P-car Fan

HTML:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, an easy and very effective way to do this (i did it on my current S2K shift knob and it's working perfectly) is to get finger nail polish, paint it all over the general area of the engraved shift pattern, then wipe it down w/ finger nail polish remover---works like a charm every time and it lasts too!
I am just Imagining what the cashier and other people in line are thinking when I buy nail polish and nail polish remover and telling them its for my porsche :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Re: P-car Fan

HTML:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am just Imagining what the cashier and other people in line are thinking when I buy nail polish and nail polish remover and telling them its for my porsche :)
That's what wives are for! ;-)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I realize this is an older thread, but wanted to second this technique.

Bought the Testor's #1150 paint as described.

I actually used a thin paintbrush to paint all over and fill the grooves. Then, immediately used a paper towel moistened with nail polish remover to immediately wipe the excess.

This technique filled the grooves perfectly. I didn't like the color immediately as it was going on, but now that it has dried this morning, it looks beautiful!

Kevin

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
just purchased testors 1150 flat red to do this myself... did you guys remove the knob to paint, or do the job inside the car? anyone know if the silver top part of the knob comes off w/o having to remove the entire knob? this would make painting easier and would not risk getting paint on the leather...

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Yes the silver top part of the knob pops off. I did this over 2.5 years ago, so I don't exactly remember, but I think I took a small screw driver and pried at the silver piece from the back side. It has 3 clips that hold it on. Once it starts to come up, it comes off easy. Definitely don't need to do any more disassemble than that.

BTW, I used touch up paint and Q-tips. The paint dried pretty fast so I ended up scraping the excess off with a toothpick. It worked great and still looks great after 2.5 years.

·
Registered
41 Posts
yes, the cap pops off.

I popped it off from the top (12 O'clock position)

Use something thinner than a screwdriver if possible. That could slightly damage/scuff the leather.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
..since I posted the 1st cheapest & best mod (adding red floor mats to a black interior) I've had a lot of emails about the red numbering on the shift-knob. So I'm posting the simple process here.

1. Buy "Testors" enamel paint from any craft store, like Michael's. It MUST be enamel. I recommend Testors FLAT RED ROUGE MAT color #1150, since it is "dead-on" to Guard's red. Naturally, buy the color that matches your sled...but mine is red. Buy the same size tiny jar we used to assemble model cars when we were young.

3. Get 7 toothpics, and use them to dip the toothpick tip into the paint (very slightly) then fill the shift numbers and pattern in. Use a new toothpick for each number. Once all valleys are filled, wipe gently with the dampened cloth. You may also use a professional micro paint brush also purchased at a craft store, but I used a toothpick...if your toothpick is a bit fat on the tip, sharpen it with a nail file...the sharper the better.

This is easier than it sounds...and a mistake like an over-fill is easily wiped clean with a damp cloth...without taking the paint out of the numbers.

Finally, when doing this...use a steady hand...and leave the beer in the fridge until AFTER you are finished. Good Luck!

PS: I purchased the Testors paint on-line..and it was cheap...but craft stores do carry it. Finally, when I go to PCA events, I get more comments on the colored shift numbers than I do the $4k machined wheels!
Very cool, I'm sure that Porsche will add this to the option list soon. I can see it now "Porsche Performance Red Shift Nob" Hand Painted $ 140.00.
All kidding aside it looks great!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Very cool, I'm sure that Porsche will add this to the option list soon. I can see it now "Porsche Performance Red Shift Nob" Hand Painted $ 140.00.
All kidding aside it looks great!
Actually, it is $329... Looks identical to the one hand made by the OP...

Limited Edition shift knob from the 2010 Boxster Spyder. Similar to the stock shift knob, but comes with shift pattern in Guards Red.

Boxster Spyder Shift Knob:Suncoast Automotive Porsche, Audi, & VW

·
Premium Member
383 Posts

·
Premium Member
383 Posts

Croscow, based on Danieldolan post, you may have a money maker here. looks like there is considerable margin in this product.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Since I was replacing my shift knob anyways, I tried to purchase the boxster spyder shift knob.

They said to be prepared for a LONG wait, followed by the slow boat from Germany.

I opted for the regular S knob and painted the numbers myself.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts