Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been noticing a burning smell after getting home from drives recently. Today it was REALLY bad. I smells like burning rubber and is coming from the driver side rear wheel well. I checked the tires and they are not rubbing on anything. I have recently changed to my winter wheels and tires, but the smell was there before with the OEM wheels and tires.

I left the car at my local dealer tonight to be looked at tomorrow, but am fearful as to what they will say. It is still under extended warranty (2006 Cayman S with 31,000 miles on it).

I also am going to have them change out the passenger side fog light bulb. I noticed today that the light wasn't on when the lights were used as DRL's, but works fine when I have them on as fog lights. The service manager says it is a two filament bulb so I am assuming that one of the filaments has burned out.

Any thoughts on the burning smell?

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
That's a weird one definitely.

I wonder if it's possible for a plastic bag or some other object to get flung up and caught in the engine area and is now burning with the heat?

I hope the dealer resolves this quickly for you.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So do I, thanks. I hope it is something that simple.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Just a thought - Have them check the power steering reservoir... I brought my car back from the last LV region DE in the middle of Nov, put it on the battery maintainer. last week, I backed it out of the garage and there was a puddle of fluid a foot-and-a-half in diameter on the floor under the motor. It was PS fluid - when I took the car to the dealer, I could hear the PS pump straining every time I turned the wheel. And, by the time I get there (only 2.5 miles and three turns), the motor was hot enough that the whole thing smelled pretty bad. Turned out the PS fluid reservoir had cracked - not heat related the service manager said, they've seen a few crack like that.

brad

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will bring that to their attention, thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Please keep us posted. It does sound strange.

-Moto

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Any thoughts on the burning smell?
I have smelled the same thing with my car so please let us know what you find out. Could it be belts? Maybe a pulley is dragging?

Just a thought - sometimes road tar will get flung onto the catalytic converter. When the road tar burns/melts it will make that smell. I have had it happen with my BMW motorcycle . . . which has a catalytic converter.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They replaced the bulb under warranty and found a "left side final drive seal seeping slightly". They replaced the seal and checked the bearing and refilled diff again under warranty.

As for the burning smell, the dealership claims that they get quite a few Mercedes and a few Porsches that come in complainig about it this time of year and they attribute it to the non-icing fluid that is put down on the roads around here. They claim that it gets onto the exhaust systems and burns. We will see about that over the next week or so.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
As for the burning smell, the dealership claims that they get quite a few Mercedes and a few Porsches that come in complainig about it this time of year and they attribute it to the non-icing fluid that is put down on the roads around here. They claim that it gets onto the exhaust systems and burns. We will see about that over the next week or so.
My wife's Mercedes had that burning smell about two weeks ago but we don't put non-icing fluid on our roads. I'm still voting for something like tar or rubber.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I have the same smell!!!! It comes and goes, but it started when it got cold outside.... and yes, it smells like burned rubber coming from the driver's side rear well.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^And the plot thickens......

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Have an 06 CS with stock rubber and 20k miles. Have had the same rubber smell from the rear wheel wells since it was new to me at 16k over 6 months ago. No problems have been found and no leaks noted. Have seen similar discussions on this site with many similar complaints so have not made a big deal of it. Think the final conclusion was tires. As far as the deicing theory, don't think Florida DOT uses that brand for the snow and ice we get ;).

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
^ that would apply to me, but many folks here have a lot more miles on the clock and still get that smell, you would think that stuff would be burned off after 30K + miles....

·
Registered
55 Posts
All Porsches give off that smell of burning rubber after long or spirited drives. Learn to love it like I do. It's the smell of a happy engine.:drivingskid:

·
Registered
252 Posts
My '07 new to me since 12/23/09 gives off a similar odor. I believe that this is simply the odor from a hot engine and that, given how the mid engine is covered and located, the odor comes out the wheel well(s).

The owner's manual states, after a long or spirited drive (see the previous reply above) to achieve best cooling let the engine idle for 2 minutes prior to shutting down. Although I think about wasted gasoline as the price is rising quickly again, I do it and the odor does seem less versus when I forget.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^O.K., I guess it's normal.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The Caymans are covered in cosmoline, a corrosion inhibitor and that stuff smells like burning plastic as it burns off. I smelled it burning off of mine for about 6,000 miles.
I spoke with the service dept at my dealer today.
I noticed the smell shortly after getting the '09 Boxster
I was concerned that I was dragging the clutch.

Service mngr said:

1- It's the right side because that's the real vent, the other side is a dummy.
2- It's the cosmoline and normal engine smell.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts