Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Road Atlanta this weekend for a CHIN DE event in my 2014 CS. A friend and I saw Randy Pobst and went to say hi. We got to talking and I asked him if he would like to take my Cayman for a drive in the open session at the end of the day. He said sure! He said he would take it easy at first, but I encouraged him to have a go. He drove it for about 30 minutes at what seemed like 10/10ths to me! The track was fairly congested so he never got a clean lap. But wow, can he drive. He posted a 1:39 but thought he could have done a 1:36 on an open track. My previous best time had been in the 1:42s, but thanks to watching Randy demonstrate what is possible, I knocked over 1.5 seconds off my time today and got down to a 1:40.8. I have upgraded brakes and Nitto NT01 tires, which he said made a huge difference from the stock models he has driven. Randy was a super nice guy. Its hard to imagine most pro racers being so generous with their time.
20141129-1127.jpg

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Randy IS a super nice guy. He has been to many of our Audi Club events over the years. His love of cars and the people who love to drive them is always evident.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hes a really nice guy, he was in Santa Barbara a few weeks ago for a local event. He's the hardest working guy in the driving biz kind of the James Brown of driving.. Did you catch the max oil temp on track? outside temp? thanks carl

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Too cool, label me jelly.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wow! Absolutely jealous! I would love to meet Randy one day and have him go bonkers in my CGTS.

·
Registered
314 Posts
What feels like 10/10ths to us mere mortals is probably only 8/10ths of what professionals are capable of. And they would never "go bonkers" and run the risk of crashing someone else's prized possession, their reputation and the ensuing lawsuits are simply not worth it. If anything, they know that a few light compliments to the owners and their choice of car and mods would really make someone's day. He seems like a nice guy, for sure - its quite rare to find race car drivers who still have their feet on the ground.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Video or it didn't happen.
:cheers:

·
Registered
456 Posts
That is awesome! Would love to do a track day with Pobst someday!!

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hes a really nice guy, he was in Santa Barbara a few weeks ago for a local event. He's the hardest working guy in the driving biz kind of the James Brown of driving.. Did you catch the max oil temp on track? outside temp? thanks carl
I didn't catch the oil temps. The only indication I had of the intensity was some wheels weights that fell off, despite having them taped with high temp aluminum tape! That has never happened to me before.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What feels like 10/10ths to us mere mortals is probably only 8/10ths of what professionals are capable of. And they would never "go bonkers" and run the risk of crashing someone else's prized possession, their reputation and the ensuing lawsuits are simply not worth it. If anything, they know that a few light compliments to the owners and their choice of car and mods would really make someone's day. He seems like a nice guy, for sure - its quite rare to find race car drivers who still have their feet on the ground.
Totally agree. He was probably driving 5/10ths! I was still surprised at his pace, given all that can go wrong on a race track. It was a particularly crazy weekend - there were three spin outs right in front of me this weekend and I had to go 4 wheels off to miss one of them by a few inches. Will post some video of the Randy laps shortly.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Wow.....driving with Randy Pobst is definitely an experience to remember. Thanks for sharing this with us.

I would have asked him about the Motor Trend Best Driver's Car thing he does with them every year. Did he have any stories to tell?

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow.....driving with Randy Pobst is definitely an experience to remember. Thanks for sharing this with us.

I would have asked him about the Motor Trend Best Driver's Car thing he does with them every year. Did he have any stories to tell?
As you might imagine, he needs to be careful when talking about personal favorites. He said he was a big fan of the way the 1st generation Cayman drove, mechanical issues on the track not withstanding. When we were on the track, he commented multiple times that he wasn't expecting my Cayman to be as fast and drivable as it was. I was happy with that!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Rich
Nice video and it was fun to watch Randy's style of driving on this track in your car.

Regarding the video--which program did you use and how did you get that gauge layout (981) ?
Also, I think I saw brake and acceleration bar graphs on he video--true? Using an OBD reading or something more sophisticated?

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rich
Nice video and it was fun to watch Randy's style of driving on this track in your car.

Regarding the video--which program did you use and how did you get that gauge layout (981) ?
Also, I think I saw brake and acceleration bar graphs on he video--true? Using an OBD reading or something more sophisticated?
Mike,

The gauges come from an AIM Solo DL in combo with their Smartycam HD. There is a hard wired connection to the OBD port. I'm still using Harry's with my VBox Sport as well. They each have their advantages. The Solo/Smartycam has a more foolproof approach with the hard wired connection compared to my Harry's setup, which relied on Bluetooth for OBD and the external GPS. However, I think VBox Circuit Tools provides far superior lap time analysis. I'll post some Circuit Tool comparisons with Randy's lap tonight. As you can see, I'm still working through some of the bugs in the Smartycam setup. The OBD feed doesn't tell you the gear, and the calculated field isn't working correctly (it is saying 7 most of the time). The brake and throttle graphs aren't perfect either. I'm going to seek out some Solo DL geeks to see if I can work through the issues.

·
Registered
155 Posts
awesome. I need randy to teach me how to drive!!!

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The most valuable part of the whole experience was seeing where I could add some speed. Here is a video of my fastest lap on Sunday, when I had an open track. I also attached a Circuit Tools analysis of two of Randy's laps compared to my fastest lap. Although the difference is only 2.2 seconds it would have been around five if he wasn't hitting traffic. His lines are blue and red and mine is green. He is killing it in the esses (position index 200-350) and is fearless in turn 12 (position 100), which carries over to more speed in the front straight (position 0-50). For those not used to GPS speeds, remember that the speedometer in the 981 reads about 3-4mph more than the accurate GPS speeds which are shown here.

Randy comparo.JPG

1 - 20 of 29 Posts