Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. so I had the oppurtunity to drive the car for 1 full day. What I got from the dealer was a black with silver stripes 86, I think fully loaded without navi/screen. The car is an automatic with paddle shifters.

Looks: Now let me start by saying, when I first saw pics of the 86 I thought it was one of the ugliest cars i've ever seen. I totally hated it, from the looks, to the specs, engine power, etc.

Then, one day, I saw it infront of me at toyota plaza while servicing my FJ. And I thought hmmmm, that doesn't look so bad at all.

Day by day, seeing more pics I've grown to love the looks. I think it looks fantastic.

The LED front headlights, the beefed up bumpers, the hood.. I think it looks fantastic! Though the wheels look like cheap knock offs and definetely need a drop and a wheel change.

My rating 8.5/10

Interior: The interior is OK, it has nice touches here and there, nothing special or fancy and definetly alot of plastic.. But I like how it is, the seats are very nice and comfy for bucket seats, the stereo looks nice, the gauge/dash looks appealing.

My rating 7/10

Power: Ok, one word, SLOW. I never expected it to be fast but come on toyota, this is really slow. The car literally has no power until you pass RPM 5500. After 5500 is another life, it's not blistering quick but do-able for some spirited driving. If I buy this car, i'd definetly look for some power upgrades ASAP.

My rating 5/10.

Handling: one word, WOW. This thing handles like a go kart.. I loved the way it hugs the corners. I love taking cars to salmabad and try to turn in and out of the roundabouts quick, and this one never disappointed. The steering feel and balance was perfect, and there was no body roll whatsoever. Never thought a toyota will handle like this! Good job.

My rating 9/10.

Verdict:
Would I buy this car? Yes and no.

No, I think it is overpriced for what you get. It looks nice, handles well, but seriously lacks power.

But, do give me a turbo version + manual, i'd buy it in an INSTANT.

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
Thanks for the review.

In your market, how does the price of this car compare to a base cayman? Reason I ask, is that in the US market, I don't think anybody can say it's priced too high. Even given its low power output.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just read this week that Subaru have announced that they will be releasing a turbo model, that should be a bit more entertaining!!

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
The model designation is different in this country, & is marketed as a Scion FR-S, not Toyota.

Is it an automatic or a dual-clutch transmission, a'la PDK?

John

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Scion/toyota/lexus, all the same company. In the US its a marketing thing. I won't pay for a $50K toyota but a lexus on the other hand....

I've been reading up on the pair recently, the Subaru and the Scion. I don't know if it's the same everywhere but the Subaru is the more "upscale" of the two and will be the only one to have navigation.

I also recently read that the BRZ "R" will have style upgrades like a bigger spoiler and such, handling upgrades like brakes and suspension, but NO turbo. I was very disappointed to read this. One theory is that it would take away from the WRX STI.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,758 Posts
In my country, the 86 is approx $35000 and the base cayman is approx $60000 for a fully loaded model.
Oh, now your comment makes sense, cause its regarded as the best value by far here for a sports car.

Base '86 is $30k here and base boxster is $122k.

There will be aftermarket turbo kits coming for the '86.

Oh and if you think that '86 is slow, drive something else lower in the pecking order :hilarious:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The toyota does come with navi here.

Also, i'm not talking about aftermarket, I know the aftermarket is huge for this car.

I'm talking about stock out of the box package, it is VERY slow.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The model designation is different in this country, & is marketed as a Scion FR-S, not Toyota.

Is it an automatic or a dual-clutch transmission, a'la PDK?

John
I don't think so, I think it's just a normal automatic.

But the shifts were not bad at all, I wouldn't call it slow but it's not PDK fast.

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
They start at $25k US here. Suburu BRZ and Scion FR-S. I have been spec'ing and pricing them as a "New Normal" alternative.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
They start at $25k US here. Suburu BRZ and Scion FR-S. I have been spec'ing and pricing them as a "New Normal" alternative.
Rare as hens' teeth, to hear the local Subaru dealer tell it. Probably expect some 'additional dealer mark-up' on the final sticker. :hilarious:

John

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
Rare as hens' teeth, to hear the local Subaru dealer tell it. Probably expect some 'additional dealer mark-up' on the final sticker. :hilarious:

John
Same around here. None to test drive. No Scions. No Suburus. But a saw a black one on the road yesterday. First one in the US that I have seen in the flesh. I saw the GT86 in Switzerland on a lot for US $45,500.

Eventually they will settle back down to Earth, and a less than $40k Turbo with 300HP is a near certainty at some point.

Reactions: jpccarguy
1 - 12 of 12 Posts