Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery of my new 911 C2S last week and handed in my Cayman S, which I drove for about 20 months. I'm in a pretty good position to give you a view of the two cars. In short, the C2S easily out guns the Cayman on performance (as you'd expect) and the Cayman in my view is the more raw (and possibly more fun!) car of the two.

Beyond the big power difference - in the CS I could thrash it to the limit without worrying too much; in the C2S you really have to think before you put your foot down because it gets to 120 a lot quicker - the handling, ride, exhaust note and road presence are the most noticable differences. With the exception of road presence the other differences may well be down to the options I chose, rather than the cars themselves!

Here's the spec of my C2S:

Atlas black
Full black leather
19" Sport design wheels
Sport Chrono
Thicker sport s/wheel
Red s/belts
Black dials (really like these!)
Sat Nav
Telephone

My Cayman S:

Arctic Silver
Full black leather
Sport s/wheel
6-disc
etc.

As you can see the C2S is loaded with 'sports' equipment, but my Cayman wasnt - the C2S has PASM as standard too. It's these items which make a a big difference for me between the cars. In other words I can imagine that a similarly spec'd CS would be great fun. PASM is fantastic - perfect for the British roads in standard and great for flat surfaces in sport. The sport chrono transforms the car - again, its probably just as good in the CS. One item of equipment that I'm sure the CS cannot match is the the sports exhaust. The Cayman cannot come close to the sound of the 911.

So, which do I prefer? Unfortunately (or fortunately if you drive a CS and get hung up on the 911 debate) I have to conclude that they are simply different, each with benefits over the other. If a more powerful (and noiser) Cayman came out I'd buy that over a 911...it would be a blast. And that's probably why there never will be one!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Good review! Thats what I felt about the 05 C2S I tested drove before picking up my 07 Cayman S. the C2S is way quicker, but both cars drive differently.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Congradulation on your new porsche!
I am not a skilful driver, I feel more secure driving fast in my cayman s!
I like the 997 better straightline speed and it feels more intimidating in a fun sort of way----a unique experience!
I think the cayman sounds louder cause the engine is RIGHT BEHIND YOU! You can make it louder by removing the sound deadening cover on the rear compartment---it helps to demist your rear screen during winter!:D

PS. 997 looks nice in dark colour---in an ideal world you would love to have both cars plus a RS4 for all motoring occasion

·
Registered
250 Posts
911 C2S compared to CS

Glad you enjoyed your CS and also that you're staying in the Porsche family. Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here and say that a MODIFIED CS changes the comparison quite a bit and that even with the extra costs of the modifications you most likely come in well under what a 911 C2 costs and also most likely can outperform it due to the inherent balance/nature of the CS. I LOVE BOTH CARS but yes, I own a thoroughly modified CS. :)

A stock CS is I believe rated at 297 hp at the crank, just by adding in a full aftermarket exhaust/sport intake filter/ECU reprogram you can get up to around 350+ hp at the crank AND greatly improve the sound. My car and many others are there! So that puts you almost exactly on par hp wise with a stock 911 C2S (355hp) and within 30 hp of the 911 C2s with the X51 kit (381 hp) but the CS is a few hundred pounds lighter than a 911 C2S I believe... Straightline they should be very close, in the twisties or on a track the mid-engine nature of the CS should give it an appreciable edge... There are many folks on here that do track their cars on a regular basis and could speak to that better than I.

911 C2S Stock MSRP (US) $83k
CS Stock MSRP (US) $59k

That leaves you around $24k of aftermarket performance enhancements you can add in just to get to the same price of the stock 911C2S... Throw in the X51 kit and the gap gets wider still.

Not trying to slam your choice AT ALL! By all means drive the car that makes you the happiest and everyone understandably has different prefs. :) Just playing devils advocate here a bit.

My CS has:
Dealer options
Sport Chrono
Sport Seats
Auto Climate Control
Pref package (Bi-Xenon, rains sens etc...)
19" Carerra Classic wheels
Aftermarket options:
Full Milltek Exhaust
Evo sport intake filter
GIAC ECU tuning
Techart aero kit
lowered coil over Bilsteins
Stiffer sway bars
Avic Z2 touchscreen radio Nav/phone/Ipod (+amps, upgraded speakers)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Congratulations on the new Carrera. I like Atlas Grey, my CS is the same.

I'm thinking of switching to a C2S also. I'm going to keep my CS and let my wife have it. That way I can still drive the CS whenever I want. :)

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
Please do not take this as an argument. I can only tell you my experiences with my car; I do not own a 911. I have a Cayman S with PASM and sport chrono. I added Miltek headers, and catbacks; This makes the sound more raw and the way I like a sprts cat to sound. As far as the other aftermarkets exhaust sound it is probably the tamer of them out. That is what I was looking for. The PASM is excellent. The roads here are horrible, and I track the car every so often. I use PASM normal all the time except when I track the car. I have 19" rims and 18", I have opted to use the 18 most the time because I added H&R sway bars front and back, The sway bar stiffen the suspention a little bit say 10-15%. With this setup the 18" are easier to live with.

You have a great car, and I also considered it, because I have two little ones that could ride in the back. I chose the Cayman S because it is not my daily driver, and I liked the looks much better. It is also my first Porsche. It is also a lot easier to drive for a driver that is learning than the 911. The difference in $ did not hurt. I am happy with my choice.

I am sure you are happy with your car. Congratulations on your new car! I think we both are lucky to be driving great cars.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A stock CS is I believe rated at 297 hp at the crank, just by adding in a full aftermarket exhaust/sport intake filter/ECU reprogram you can get up to around 350+ hp at the crank AND greatly improve the sound. My car and many others are there!
Are those gains dyno tested by someone other than the parts manufacturers? If so, I'm amazed the CS motor opens up so well with bolt-on mods.

·
PCA Member
80 Posts
Thanks for the comparison I find it very useful because I am planning on switching late next year from my 2.7 liter to a C2S. I don't look at this as an upgrade or one car being better than the other - I love cars and switch as often as financially possible. For me the C2S is next on my list.

Erik

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I'm not sure what "road presence" is. Is a C2s more present than a Cayman is if they are side by side on the road? That sounds like car salesman talk. I think all Porsches are great cars, so you can't go too wrong. The price difference for what are very similar cars seems a waste to me. Mid-engine placement and body styling give the Cayman my nod. Essentially, by your notes, it comes down to HP. You could add so much HP for the price difference it seems an odd purchase. Maybe you just wanted a new car -- which I certainly can relate to:rolleyes:, but short of a tt of a GT3, it's all kind of splitting hairs. For me, anyway, when I replace the Cayman, there will need to be something more substantial offered than the difference between todays' C2S and my car. I'm sure my rant sounds like so many sour grapes, but, FWIW, it is my honest opinion. In the end, if you're happy, and your wallet doesn't feel abused, go out and have fun driving:burnout:

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here and say that a MODIFIED CS changes the comparison quite a bit and that even with the extra costs of the modifications you most likely come in well under what a 911 C2 costs and also most likely can outperform it due to the inherent balance/nature of the CS.
That was the thought process I went through. A C2S with the options I wanted was $92K. The "thoroughly" modified CS with similar options: $85K.

·
Registered
250 Posts
dyno proof

Are those gains dyno tested by someone other than the parts manufacturers? If so, I'm amazed the CS motor opens up so well with bolt-on mods.
I haven't personally dyno'd my car but I have exactly the same mods that a few others have and they HAVE dyno'd theirs. (I may go ahead and dyno mine since its actually in ImagineAuto having the coil over Bilsteins put on right now!) Yes individual cars vary just a tad but in general they will be very close. I believe Kman-S is getting around 360ish with the same mods but with the Capristo exhaust as opposed to the full Miltek that I have; though he used to have the milltek on his (prior to their rework of the cats in the headers, which I have) and unless I'm not remembering correctly he dyno's just north of 300+ AT THE REAR WHEELS. The calculation to convert to what that is at the crank is somewhat contentious but he used the generally accepted driveline losses that are echo'd by various Porsche shops that do a lot of dynoing like ImagineAuto.

Yes, 50 something hp is a pretty good jump but ya gotta remember that Stutgart actually went out of their way to hold the CS back a bit. The stock Cat appears to be AMAZINGLY restrictive so doing a comprehensive upgrade from intake, ignition via the ECU through to the exhaust can show a very solid improvement not only in performance but also in SOUND.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Freestyle; Thanx for the write-up. Good informaion and insight into a question I wonder about once in a while...Though I won't be giving up the Cayman any time soon!!!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Beutiful car man. How long did you wait, I am thinking about a C2S and was told 11 months currently in the UK; infact my dealer said I would be ordering an MY09 car!!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Thanks for the post.

I have to agree 'road presence' sounds like expensive car hype. But I really wish you had PASM and SC on the CS to have a sound basis for comparison. I mean I sense a big difference in engine response (power) and handling just between those times when these options are on or off in the CS. Maybe you could do a little study of the 997S with PASM and SC off vs your CS. Think about the shifter, the steering, try to isolate the rear engine effect, etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What beautiful car! I am not a fan of black cars...or I wasn't...I am changing my mind...those wheels really set it off...enjoy in good health.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd be curious to see if a 300rwhp Cayman S can actually hang with or beat a stock C2S. On paper it looks like the modded Cayman S should win, but the real world outcome may be different.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd be curious to see if a 300rwhp Cayman S can actually hang with or beat a stock C2S. On paper it looks like the modded Cayman S should win, but the real world outcome may be different.
That makes little sense since "on paper" a lot of cars you'd think would be much better than the cayman but in reality the little cayman is riding their butt on the track. I'm not sure how some more hp from the cayman would reverse this.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts