Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It turns out that my salesguy forgot to order me the Bose upgrade which-- even though it may not sound great-- is actually quite a deal for $700 as the standard system is only 50 watts in total (25 x 2) and uses cheap paper cone speakers.

So I went to a highly recommended guy here in Manhattan and he replaced the door speakers and dash tweeters with a Morel Elate 903 three-way component system (8"+ woofers) and installed an Alpine PDX-F6 600-watt amp (4 x 150) up against the front firewall, and now with a decent source the system sounds incredible without needing a sub-woofer (and is so capable that it makes horribly over-compressed satellite radio sound even worse than it does on a cheap system, lol). The only thing I didn't do was put in rear speakers using the grills behind the seats, but as the seats block those grills and muffle the sound anyway, I didn't think it was worth it or necessary.

It wound up costing me a lot of dough (around $3500 all-in, including an excellent installation job) but for the quality of the top-down sound it was well worth it. (Yes, the engine note sounds great but on a road trip I love listening to great tunes.)

So if you're thinking about upgrading your system, this is a great way to do it at a bit over half the price of a Burmeister (and it probably sounds better than a Burmeister), and due to the woofers in the Morels you won't even need a sub-woofer.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
:picsplz: worthless without pics :)
I beg your forgiveness for my worthlessness. The first photo is of the amp against the firewall, the second is of the stock paper cone speakers and the third is of the Morels. (The Morel tweeters are in the dash replacing the stock ones. In all of my worthlessness, I once again humbly beg your forgiveness for not having photos of those.) Also, there's an output converter under the passenger seat. Again, please forgive the lack of a photo.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I beg your forgiveness for my worthlessness. The first photo is of the amp against the firewall, the second is of the stock paper cone speakers and the third is of the Morels. (The Morel tweeters are in the dash replacing the stock ones. In all of my worthlessness, I once again humbly beg your forgiveness for not having photos of those.) Also, there's an output converter under the passenger seat. Again, please forgive the lack of a photo.
Sir, I by no means meant you were worthless. However the thread was until you added the pictures. :) Now with pictures it's worth a $3500 bucks :eek:
Feel free to start charging car stereo installation shops for the rights to use your pictures. :hilarious:
Back when I was younger and had good hearing I was a stereo junky and still appreciate a good install.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My only gripe with this install is -- why didn't you mount the amp in the middle??? You're ruining the balance of the car
No, this was intentional, as the six-pound weight of the amp is countered by adjusting the balance to pump a bit more volume through the speakers on the passenger side.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Congrats on your new sound system! My only gripe with this install is -- why didn't you mount the amp in the middle??? You're ruining the balance of the car :taunt:
Any time we sit in the car we ruin the balance :p Well, unless of course we have an identical weight in the passenger seat.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Excellent choice on the Morels. They are one of (if not the) best three way component systems out there. Focal makes a nice set too but they are almost two grand on a good day. I bet that thing really screams now! On a side note, I am surprised by how big the side airbag modules are. Holy smokes!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent choice on the Morels. They are one of (if not the) best three way component systems out there. Focal makes a nice set too but they are almost two grand on a good day.
Thanks, as I really had to trust a few hours of on-line research and the installer on this. By the way, although he sold them to me for $1875, the cheapest on-line price for this model appears to be $2300, so they're also in that $2000 or so range.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Fantastic installation
I bet they sound way better then anything porsche could install

I have the Bose and find them lacking in volume with your setup that would not be a problem

I had the three way focals in my 986 with MTX amp and it didn't lack in volume but did lack in bass I might go and have a look at a set like yours

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I agreed with you that the BOSE option on the Boxster S is one of the best value there is for the money (beside the sport design steering wheel and the fire extinguisher :) ).

But your awesome Morel Elate 903 will make any stereo sound better as the most important part of a stereo system is the speakers ... and that Alpine PDX-F6 600 = NICEEEEE!

Very cool!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agreed with you that the BOSE option on the Boxster S is one of the best value there is for the money (beside the sport design steering wheel and the fire extinguisher :) ).

But your awesome Morel Elate 903 will make any stereo sound better as the most important part of a stereo system is the speakers ... and that Alpine PDX-F6 600 = NICEEEEE!

Very cool!
Wow, thanks for the kind words. This experience was sort of like buying the car itself, in that somehow my "bare bones car" wound up with $12,000 of options. I'd always heard that you can get a much better aftermarket stereo for the same or less money as the car's manufacturer charges, so not having the Bose I figured I'd get even BETTER sound for my $700. Well, whoever said that probably hasn't installed a car stereo system lately, lol.

By the way, I also installed a Laser Interceptor, mostly because the whole concept of it seemed really cool to me, lol.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did the PCM throw any error codes with the new amp hooked up?
None, in the mere hour or so I had to play with it. (I had to fly out of town for a few days but will have a lot more time with it this weekend.) However, I do have the simplest PCM system, with no navigation and no USB input. On the other hand, I'm not sure why tapping the output from the head unit could be a problem-- after all, once that signal leaves the head does it monitor what happens to it?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
It wound up costing me a lot of dough (around $3500 all-in, including an excellent installation job) but for the quality of the top-down sound it was well worth it. (Yes, the engine note sounds great but on a road trip I love listening to great tunes.)
Wow, did they provide the lube or did you have do provide your own?

At least I'm hoping they lubed you up before raping you! :eek:

Just kidding, but I did my own install / upgrade for 1/2 that price. Granted it was slightly different. I added a headunit & amp, vs your speakers + amp. But I would think the actual parts probably cost about the same.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, did they provide the lube or did you have do provide your own?
Well, I know the parts were priced fairly as I paid $1875 for the speakers and the Internet prices are $2200 to $2400, and I paid $575 for the amp and the internet prices run from $425 (at Amazon) to as high as $750 (at Crutchfield), so that's $2500 right there. The rest was labor, the various wiring harnesses, the output converter and NYC sales tax.

The real question is whether or not I could have gotten nearly equivalent sound for considerably less money... That I don't know.

1 - 20 of 212 Posts