Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

201 - 212 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Any updates on the stereo? Was it all worth it? I've been quoted around $5k for a pretty solid setup including new headunit, amp/dsp, and a 3 piece illusion audio set and I'm debating on whether to downgrade slightly or just pull the trigger. Installation and soundproofing/tuning is included.
I have not tuned my system fully yet as I wanted to wait until the speakers have loosened up. Sound is clean, but tuning (of time-delays, x-over points & eq) will be vital as I feel that the settings I was suggested by the installer I bought the system from leads to a system with too much deep bass, lack of mid-bass & too much highs. My aim is to properly measure the frequency response and use this as a help in the process, but it might be too ambitious at the moment as time is limited. But in general I would say that it is better to spend money on tuning the system rather than to buy expensive hardware, so the choice of a highly competent installer is key!

·
Registered
40 Posts
My stereo update has finally happened, decided to go with Dynaudio Esotec System 362 Three-Way Component System, (MW172 8“ Woofer, MD 142 3“ Midrange, MD 102 1.1“ Soft-Dome Tweeter) but swapped out the mid for a Hybrid Audio Technologies Legatia L4SE Carbon for better mid resolution.

The ASK amplifier under the seat was replaced by Mosconi GLADEN D2 100.4 DSP (4 * 100 W) tweeters & mid and GLADEN D2 150.2. (2 * 150W) for the 8".

The speakers have been run actively so not requiring the X-overs and tuned with the DSP in the D2 100.4 DSP.

It is all very neatly installed and has retained the original look which is something I was really after.

Yes, I spent a lot more than I had initially intended on the amp and speakers, but very happy that I had it professionally installed as even though there is great DIY info here, getting a good install was potentially testing my skills, and the risk of the hardware performance being compromised by my installation was the determining factor.

Always conscious of buyer bias and self-justification in any review, but the mids and highs are just so much clearer and detailed than the originals and the bass now has tight and defined "authority". The sound deadening has stopped much of the door rumble....... so far so good.

The installer wants me to "enjoy" the system for the next month to loosen everything up and then return the car for half-a-day for a check and final tune. Will provide some more feedback after this.

I must say a 12 year old could have designed a better user interface on the PCM and I really would have liked some more options for lossless media (FLAC) to get the best out of the system, .......................but still the best sound in the car comes from that 6 cylinder thingy behind the seat :)

Speakers Install.JPG Amp Install.JPG

·
Registered
20 Posts
My stereo update has finally happened, decided to go with Dynaudio Esotec System 362 Three-Way Component System, (MW172 8“ Woofer, MD 142 3“ Midrange, MD 102 1.1“ Soft-Dome Tweeter) but swapped out the mid for a Hybrid Audio Technologies Legatia L4SE Carbon for better mid resolution.

The ASK amplifier under the seat was replaced by Mosconi GLADEN D2 100.4 DSP (4 * 100 W) tweeters & mid and GLADEN D2 150.2. (2 * 150W) for the 8".

The speakers have been run actively so not requiring the X-overs and tuned with the DSP in the D2 100.4 DSP.

It is all very neatly installed and has retained the original look which is something I was really after.

Yes, I spent a lot more than I had initially intended on the amp and speakers, but very happy that I had it professionally installed as even though there is great DIY info here, getting a good install was potentially testing my skills, and the risk of the hardware performance being compromised by my installation was the determining factor.

Always conscious of buyer bias and self-justification in any review, but the mids and highs are just so much clearer and detailed than the originals and the bass now has tight and defined "authority". The sound deadening has stopped much of the door rumble....... so far so good.

The installer wants me to "enjoy" the system for the next month to loosen everything up and then return the car for half-a-day for a check and final tune. Will provide some more feedback after this.

I must say a 12 year old could have designed a better user interface on the PCM and I really would have liked some more options for lossless media (FLAC) to get the best out of the system, .......................but still the best sound in the car comes from that 6 cylinder thingy behind the seat :)

View attachment 117265 View attachment 117273

Very nice to hear that you made a choice that you like! I spent a couple of hours this morning to set up a basic tune for my system and now it sounds much better. More defined bass, more open mid & highs. Aim is to get a final tune later with the help of an old (competitor) friend that is a top tuner and it will be interesting to see how far he can push this system. But further than what one can require from a car on the roll, about that I am sure :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was supposed to have my system complete this week but it hit some unexpected issues.

Front stage is hybrid audio L1/L4/L6. I had the L6 lying around so didn't bother buying the L8

Amp. JL HD 600/4: for the 4"/6"
2nd amp: JL rd400/4 (tweeters and rear)

Processors were the new JL FiX82 and TwK D8. This is where issues developed. There was noise and feedback. We rewired, checked ground over and over and it wouldn't go away. We tried multiple units also. The main issue was the FiX and the TwK amplified it. The installer had the older JL Cleansweep and the noise disappeared so we isolated it to the FiX. Because I had the D8 version of the TwK I couldn't go with this set up. Need the TwK 88.

I wasn't thrilled going with the RD400/4 amp as it now won't fit under the seat with the other gear and had to be mounted behind the passenger seat. I had wanted the MX280/4 which is way smaller but since this amp powers the tweeters Installer wanted "better quality".

I have been living with a system using the FiX 82 and just the HD600/4 amp (no rear speakers) for months now and got used to it. The noise was not apparent too much as we dialled down the gains. The Hybrid speakers broke in nicely and gave me a great sound but not perfect imaging (no DSP).

My installer is fed up with the JL for now (wasting hours trying to get rid of the noise) and yanked the TwK and FiX out. I am running active and using the crossovers on the amps and the hybrid passive for the tweeter to cross over higher than the amps (~5000hz) since the L4 mid drivers are best run full range in this set up. The tweeter has opened up going active and feeding it way better/more power but the tuning actually is not as good as before with the FiX.

I now have to make a decision to use the JL TwK 88 and ditch the FiX. This is the best value (one less thing to buy). Or run the older Cleansweep with the TwK 88. The last option is to spend even more and go with an audison bit one or other DSP. I have an alpine dsp in my daily car and love it but not the extra controller. I really like the JL's clean install solution with nothing more than a volume dial controller.

In the end this is a Porsche and it is all about the engine and sound. Especially since my Cayman is the gt4. I just like tunes and I am not good enough of a driver to notice the extra 30lbs I put into the electronics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts

View attachment 117265 View attachment 117273

Any issues with the bass rattling/vibrating your door cards? I recently had my system installed and can't get it to sound quite right.
I got a full Illusion Audio 3way setup with Carbon series 8" woofers, 3" mids, and tweeters, run by a Gladen D2 80.6 amp/dsp under the seat. The woofers are making these intermittent crackling noises, and it sounds like my passenger side door card is rattling when the bass hits.

Looks like our door panels are notorious for rattling according to rennlist.

Turns out one of my 8"s is dead. The 4" died last week and just got replaced yesterday on the same side. Wtf

·
Registered
40 Posts
Any issues with the bass rattling/vibrating your door cards? I recently had my system installed and can't get it to sound quite right.
I got a full Illusion Audio 3way setup with Carbon series 8" woofers, 3" mids, and tweeters, run by a Gladen D2 80.6 amp/dsp under the seat. The woofers are making these intermittent crackling noises, and it sounds like my passenger side door card is rattling when the bass hits.

Looks like our door panels are notorious for rattling according to rennlist.

Turns out one of my 8"s is dead. The 4" died last week and just got replaced yesterday on the same side. Wtf
Sorry to hear you are having troubles with your system.

I am very happy with the Bass performance, tight, solid and no rattle at all, the intro to Hotel California is just beautiful when that drum kicks in :) ....They did put quite a bit of sound deadening on the door cards.

I still need to get it finally tuned, but thought I would let everything burn in really well before I take it back. I would like a bit more lightness/finesse in the upper frequencies, but maybe I am asking a bit too much from a car system in a convertible, but we will see. This now prompts me to book her in.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I still need to get it finally tuned, but thought I would let everything burn in really well before I take it back. I would like a bit more lightness/finesse in the upper frequencies, but maybe I am asking a bit too much from a car system in a convertible, but we will see. This now prompts me to book her in.
Had the "Tune Service" yesterday and now everything sounds just great across all frequencies, the advantage of a DSP I guess.

The Mosconi allows for 4 presets, so I got DriveSound to put their tune in Preset 1, a back-up copy in 2 and I can play in 3 & 4 should I chose at some stage.

For ease of access I got them to install the blue-tooth dongle so I can make any changes from my laptop using the Mosconi software.

Spent more than I intended on the system but now very happy, sensational sound for a highway trip, and then switch over to a perfect sound track with the PSE in the twisty bits :))

·
Registered
204 Posts
PSA: if you install Illusion Audio c8s in your doors, make sure you rotate them so the terminals don't get cut off by the door stop inside the panel!

6 speakers sure sound better than 5

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey guys, sorry to revive this thread but I have a quick questions - I have just installed a Mosconi D2 80.6 DSP in my 981 with PCM/SPP and as soon as I increase the gain I get a buzzing sound from the left side. Only happens when the engine is running though.
I could reduce the gain but then the whole system is way to quiet..

From reading this thread it seems everyone has connected their DSP directly to the PCM and removed the stock ASK amp? No pre-amplifiers involved? The PCM signal is pretty weak actually..

·
Registered
71 Posts
hey guys, sorry to revive this thread but I have a quick questions - I have just installed a Mosconi D2 80.6 DSP in my 981 with PCM/SPP and as soon as I increase the gain I get a buzzing sound from the left side. Only happens when the engine is running though.
I could reduce the gain but then the whole system is way to quiet..

From reading this thread it seems everyone has connected their DSP directly to the PCM and removed the stock ASK amp? No pre-amplifiers involved? The PCM signal is pretty weak actually..
Yes when I measured the output of the PCM directly I did find that it was relatively weak. While I could get decent sound out of it by tuning out the noise (lowering the gains on my DSP/amps) I always felt like it was a little lacking. Replacing the PCM with a Pioneer AVIC-W8400 made a huge difference in terms of linearity especially in the sub bass frequencies. It didn't get much louder overall but the sound is much more linear across the entire volume range which is a direct effect of higher output voltage from the HU.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Awesome setup! I have a fully loaded S (except ceramic brakes) and the "top-of-the-line" Bose sound system (with subwoofer). It really sounds incredible and I use to install sound systems. My trade was a fully loaded Lexus LS 460 with the Mark Levinson sound and was worried the Bose system would leave me wanting. I was wrong. However, I'm afraid those cheap paper speakers won't last so I'm already looking for speaker replacements. Does anyone know if this is the standard setup in the doors or is the Bose system different? Thanks in advance for your replies.
from my peers i heard its the same set up. did everything go okay? im new and curious. also what speaker replacements did you go with?

201 - 212 of 212 Posts