Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank God, today I placed my order for a 2015 991 GT3 as listed below. But my story first goes like this:

I was away from this forum for months while was in love with the 991 GT3 as I was following all its reviews and videos online. Then as I was getting close to placing the order, I got disappointed to learn here I was running out of time. And to be honest, nothing in Porsche's current models interest me except the 981 Boxster (not the Cayman) which is very impractical where I live + does not deliver the power I starve for, and the 991 GT3 which has a steep price that took me sometime to justify. I love the turbo but its similarity to the Carrera (in terms of looks) kept pushing it down on my list.

Today, I was feeling the itch for a new toy. And I spent the morning at Land Rover's dealer considering buying a Range Rover. But they had 6 to 8 months waiting list, which did not appeal to me. From there I went to Porsche dealer where I saw a 991 GT3 Darth Vader (in black) that got me drooling. I couldn't resist it by any mean, and went forward to pay the 10% downpayment to reserve it. Unfortunately, the salesman came back apologizing for it turned out to be reserved to a prince. But it was too late for me to go back with a broken heart. They had another one in white, which is not my cup of coffee. They had five on order, three of which were reserved (3 Agate Gray) and two not reserved (one black with over the top additions like leather A/C slates and colored panels all over, which is not to my taste + one GT Silver that I liked but since I had my 987 in silver I wanted to change).

On the spot, I configured one with the salesman as listed below. I got hesitant a bit between the black and red, but although I madly love the black but it is inconvenient here, therefore I went with red. He called Germany, and he was told they have very limited allocation slots left but assured him it could be delivered in March 2015. I decided to sleep on it, in order not to be taken by the moment then regret it later. Now I came home, I find I can't sleep at all with adrenalin rushing through my body waiting for tomorrow's morning to pay the 10% deposit. For an hour I thought of changing the color to yellow but I'm afraid it will be too flashy therefore I am settling for red.

I could not tell anybody except my best friend who still went on laughing for a long time. So I decided to share this with you guys. To the outside world, we are crazy but to P9 members we are very much sane. :)

Now I'll be counting down the coming 12 hours to go and pay the deposit. Then start counting the days, weeks and months for my 43rd Birthday gift... yes, thank God we are all here blessed.

Code Individual equipment
G1 Guards Red
68 Black leather interior, seats leather/Alcantara in conjunction w. option contrast seams in Red
082 90l-Fuel tank
602 LED main headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+) 250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
474 Lifting system front axle
431 20-inch GT3 wheel
447 Inflatable spare tire added
509 Fire extinguisher
581 Luggage net passenger footwell
583 Smoking package
630 Light design package
810 Floor mats
CGG Instrument dial Sport Chrono stop clock in Guards Red Exclusive
CPK Vehicle key painted Exclusive
G1 - Guards Red
P05 Sports seats Plus (4-way, electric)
XFG Instrument dials in Guards Red Exclusive
XSX Seat belts in Guards Red Exclusive
749 Decorative seams leather interior package in Red
CLP Extended interior package door panel in leather/Alcantara Exclusive
490 Sound Package Plus
643 Sport Chrono Package incl. Porsche Track Precision App and preparation for laptrigger
666 Telephone module
P23 Porsche Communication Management (PCM) including navigation module UN1 Online Services

سبحان الله العظيم وبحمده

·
Incurable Gearhead
966 Posts
What a lovely beast you've built there. Congrats!
:cheers:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Masha'allah brother. My favorite color for GT3 is white.
I am sure you will have a lot of fun :D

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Congrats! Excellent spec

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure if it's buyers remorse or what... I'm sleepless tonight and I started having second thoughts now. I even wanted to delete this thread as my mind keeps swinging.

Thank you gentlemen, but i guess the final decision would be determined with my action or the lack of it.

Is it normal for one's mind to shift 180 degrees in the opposit direction after being excited?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Individual decision of course. I put down a deposit 20 months ago. I felt hot and cold over the car through all the stop sale and delay stuff. Thought of bailing out more than once. But it is in my garage now and I am very happy with the car. It is special. Best of luck with your decision.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was a very long day and my mind couldn't remain set for more than 2 hours either way.

So I called the dealer and asked him to check with Germany the last day I can order a GT3. He came back to me saying they'll stop producing it on April 2015. And as of now February allocations are almost full.

Since I'll be traveling this Saturday for few weeks, we did set Dec 16th a day to visit him... either to go forward with it or cancel.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
.... And to be honest, nothing in Porsche's current models interest me except the 981 Boxster (not the Cayman) which is very impractical where I live + does not deliver the power I starve for, and the 991 GT3 which has a steep price that took me sometime to justify....
Just curious: Why is the 981 Cayman a no go, if the Boxster was worth a look?

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 981 Cayman is fine looking if the Boxster wasn't around. But I don't look at the 981 Cayman when the Boxster is in the showroom or the road. I don't know but the top down suits its unique lines and brings out its beauty. This wasn't the case with the 987, I loved the Cayman more the Boxster then.

I even told the salesman yesterday, my next on the list if not the GT3 would be the 981 Boxster. I even love it far more than the convertible 991.

It's just my preference/taste, has nothing to do with anything I can put my finger on.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well here's an update about my story. Today I called the dealer and then went there to pay the down payment and proceed with the order but ended spending four hours at the showroom and his office without confirmation.

The bad news is that Porsche Germany is no more accepting orders for the GT3. They stopped :( When he told me so, I looked at him and said you know you're turning down a customer!

He kept making phone calls to Porsche Middle East but all in vain. The bottom line is that there are many dealers in the region with frustrated customers who still want to order a GT3 since all in the showroom are sold out. So he asked me to wait for ten days as they're trying to see if Porsche would allow these pending orders to go through. But it's very unlikely. He even refused to take a down payment from me. He said we have your order and once Porsche accepts extending the production period, if and only if, we will call you to pay us on the same day.

To cheer me up he said I'll put your name on the waiting list for the GT3 RS in case any of our customers cancels for it's already sold out!!!

On another thread I posted the details of our conversation but I'll copy/paste here the 911 related stuff:

2) The 991 GT3 RS will be only PDK. It'll come with pit-lane function (launch control from 40 km/hr).
3) all 991 GT3 RS allocations for the Middle East are 100% sold out with a waiting list double the numbers of the set allocations per country.
8) the GT3 RS will have 4.0 L engine
9) the 960 is coming to be shown in 2016 and sold in 2017. It's not built to go after the Ferrari, Lamborghini & McLaren rivals. It's built mainly for a related racing category. And it will slaughter the rivals when it's out on the way.
10) there will be a Carrera turbo, other than the 911 turbo, to be released in the mid-cycle 991 generation.
12) next generation cycle (not mid cycle) all Porsche models will have turbo models along with hybrid models.

Reactions: Ynot

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's an email I just received from the dealer concerning today's visit:

Dear Hassaan,
Nice meeting you earlier today, it is always a pleasure talking to someone who has passion for the Porsche Brand like yourself.
As discussed and to confirm we have emailed the request for the next available allocation for production of a 991 GT3 if available.
We will be in constant communication with our importer to see if this will be feasible and update you by latest by next Wednesday with any news, hopefully positive!
Your name has now been added to the GT3 RS wanted list in the meantime and again we will update you as and when we receive any confirmed allocation, price and specification.
Enjoy your weekend and we hope you don’t lose too much sleep over the GT3, I promise we will do everything we can to try and obtain an allocation if they are available.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wow, selling like hot cup cakes,
I wanted to say this in my earlier comment but forgot, but don't you think that the GT3 is too hard core for our streets? I understand that you might take it to Bahrain circuit sometimes but 90% of the time you will be driving it in our horrible streets,
have you considered the 991 GTS?

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Wow, selling like hot cup cakes,
I wanted to say this in my earlier comment but forgot, but don't you think that the GT3 is too hard core for our streets? I understand that you might take it to Bahrain circuit sometimes but 90% of the time you will be driving it in our horrible streets,
have you considered the 991 GTS?
The streets are terrible in terms of conditions and traffic especially in the light of the metro's construction. And the height of the GT3 is terribly low. I know I'll be changing the bumper often because of such. The front lift I opted for still won't help in case of surprises. And trust I get surprised often in my Land Cruiser, but it doesn't matter in SUVs.

I can't justify paying for the GTS that sum when the price difference is marginally low from the GT3's. Plus I don't see the Carrera as a sports car, it's a GT IMO.

Today I saw the 981 in yellow at the showroom next to a sold white GT3 (I hate whites). And I couldn't stop looking at the 981... For God's sake it's far better looking than a Carrera. It even got me to configure a GT3 in yellow at the showroom but then cancelled it as it turned out all stitches and internal GT3 logos come in gray :(

I won't hesitate walking out of the showroom with a 981 if it had the power of a GT3 but even the GT4 won't come close :(

My configured GT3 is at the price of a 911 turbo but still I won't opt for a turbo... It's faster, yes but lacks the masculinity of the GT3.

So for me, it's either a GT3 or bust :(

PS Reference to your cupcakes statement, the feedback from the dealer was:
1) the 991 GT3 turned to be too cheap for the technology it came out with.
2) the auctioned GT3s in the USA were bought back by the dealer supported by Porsche Germany to reserve the brand image and price.
3) after so many order cancellations of the GT3 following the engine problem, the sales figures/demand went out of the roof as the customers confidence were retrieved.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Congratulations man!! Now... remember... you owe it to us to come back here after you've driven it for a while and let us all know how it's pretty darned good but still not as good as a 981.

Lie to us if you must. It will make us all feel warm and fuzzy inside. :D

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Congratulations man!! Now... remember... you owe it to us to come back here after you've driven it for a while and let us all know how it's pretty darned good but still not as good as a 981.

Lie to us if you must. It will make us all feel warm and fuzzy inside. :D
Forgetting the 918 existence, the 981 is the 2nd best Porsche IMO following the GT3. However, my contact at the dealer who knows much about the GT4 and is madly in love with the GT3 said he'd pick the GT4 over the GT3 in a heartbeat from what he knows about what's coming.

So you guys will be rubbing our noses with the GT4 especially since Cayman/Boxster owners are known to be the true purist pro drivers and already can keep up with a GT3 on the track ;)

PS thanks for the congrats but still my allocation is not confirmed as stated above. So very likely I'll remain Porsche-less :(

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Hearing that an exciting GT4 is coming is interesting news because it means the used market will have many great 981 models to choose from as the hard core amongst us upgrade.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Some black GT3 pics I snapped a couple days ago at my dealer. The seats were surprisingly comfortable (18 way), looked and sounded amazing ... but I want top down driving and prefer the looks of the 981 Boxster GTS over the 991 cab.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Some black GT3 pics I snapped a couple days ago at my dealer. The seats were surprisingly comfortable (18 way), looked and sounded amazing ... but I want top down driving and prefer the looks of the 981 Boxster GTS over the 991 cab.

You should see it in the metallic black... Even more stunning!!! It's Darth Vader machine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts