Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of reading and planning... but the project actually went quite well. Installed new 996 GT3 front calipers with the Vision Motorsports kit (thanks Roland), along with Girodisc 350mm 996 GT3 spec rotors and Pagid Black pads. Vision will sell the kit bundled with AP rotors, or without. I wanted to use Girodisc, so I opted out. The key to their kit though is the included adapter, which allows the larger rotor to mount to our stock caliper mounting holes.

For the rear, I rebuilt the stock calipers (a good cleaning, new dust boots, inspected pistons, replaced bleed screws, etc.) and installed with the 325mm Girodisc kit and Pagid Black pads. Stainless lines installed all around as well (ECS tuning). Bled the system, bled it again, bled it again, and then one more time. Took four bleeds, but it's now fully de-aired and feels great. Ready for the Glen next week!

As always, thanks to this awesome P-9 community for the various articles / discussions / advice that made this project possible (and made it a DIY, saving me probably a grand in labor!). Thought I'd share this all back, in case it may be of value to others down the road. If anyone tries this in the future and needs tips, please reach out.

:dance:

IMG_3638.JPG IMG_3677.JPG IMG_3641.JPG IMG_3676.JPG

·
Registered
84 Posts
Depends on the disc. I don't know about those discs, but some discs are directional and some are not. This refers to the veins inside the rotor, and the intended direction for air to flow outward. Ask your girodisc vendor. If there is only 1 part number for both left and right, they are unidirectional (not ideal imo).

And this goes without saying, but if they are directional, make sure you didn't install them on the wrong wheels. Otherwise air will have a real hard time flowing through them and they'll run hotter than intended.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, they are directional... as Reach pointed out though, my impression is this is a function of the direction of interior venting, not the surface slots. The rotors in the "before" pic are Sebro slotted (which are also a directional rotor, in the front at least)... so it seems the two manufactures cut their slots in opposite directions.
Thanks though, an intersecting observation... but I checked myself ~52 times when doing this project; they're installed as they were marked by Girodisc

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Given them a call and ask for Roland - he's the right contact there for this. Pacific time zone, btw. Or, feel free to PM me - did a bunch of homework and may be able to answer what you need.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Night and day.

This was definitely not just a cosmetic upgrade. I was having major issues with brake fade... boiling fluid 10-15 min into a session, needing to bleed frequently... total loss of confidence in my brakes on track. After doing all this, the performance was unreal. Bite from the Blacks is simply awesome... way better than the Yellows ever were. And absolutely no loss of performance over a 35 min session with hard use. They just work. Period.
Really glad I did this finally... wish I had done it sooner.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
looks like its filling out the wheels nicely BE455.

how long did it take you to DIY this job and how much should someone budget for this?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
looks like its filling out the wheels nicely BE455.

how long did it take you to DIY this job and how much should someone budget for this?
Actually, it's a reasonably straightforward bolt on solution. If you can change brake pads and rotors, you can do this. The challenge is bleeding... lots of air to get out (new calipers, and new lines all around in my case as well)... so it took several re-bleeds. But in the end, it's solid. As far as budget, in ballpark numbers, figure about $1100-1200 per axle for rotors, around 2300 for the front caliper kit (including adapter bolts / spacer), 100-200 for lines, and then whatever pads you want (600-700 for pagid blacks all around, a little more for yellows).

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jaundice - I run the same wheel size as you. 19 on the street, 18 on track. It fits just fine with that, but that's it... 17s wouldn't work. This pics in the original post are the 18" OZs.

·
Vendor
707 Posts
Congrats BE455 - I know the folks that make this kit for Vision. We have sold a lot of them and the fact that the modified 996 GT3 Cup front calipers work without having to buy new suspension uprights at the tune of $850 EA is a HUGE WIN! Your car looks great! Keep up the good work and tell the folks out there I said hello!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Congrats BE455 - I know the folks that make this kit for Vision. We have sold a lot of them and the fact that the modified 996 GT3 Cup front calipers work without having to buy new suspension uprights at the tune of $850 EA is a HUGE WIN! Your car looks great! Keep up the good work and tell the folks out there I said hello!
Can you give me a website or contact info for the kit? I like to look at it before I call people on the phone.
Thanks

·
Vendor
707 Posts
Can you give me a website or contact info for the kit? I like to look at it before I call people on the phone.
Thanks
I probably need to wait and get BE455 to reply; the work on his car was done by Vision who is a vendor of that product and he started the thread so I don't want to hijack it. If you don't find the information you seek, send me a PM.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jaundice - I dealt with Roland at Vision... all by phone and email (he's in California, I'm east coast). He's very helpful. Vision Motorsports
You won't see anything on their website about this kit unfortunately. I just heard about it online and called him up. There's actually an article on this site with some info that may help you, but otherwise you can just call him direct (link pasted below). If BGB has access to the same kit as he commented above, certainly no reason you couldn't get info from them as well. As I understand it, Vision doesn't manufacture this, they are just re-selling, but I gather whoever makes the adapter doesn't sell retail. The initials "WR" are on the adapter... Wrightwood Racing I think?

Big Brake Kit for Cayman - Articles

·
Vendor
707 Posts
That's correct. The kit is available from Wrightwood who provides wholesale parts to race teams and shops like ours. This kit can be quoted with or without AP racing 350mm front discs; it can be ordered with Pagid pads and we can also source OE pads or even OE discs if desired for the street. Feel free to call the shop if you can't get any info. The new number is (386)265-1979.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
866 Posts
A lot of reading and planning... but the project actually went quite well. Installed new 996 GT3 front calipers with the Vision Motorsports kit (thanks Roland), along with Girodisc 350mm 996 GT3 spec rotors and Pagid Black pads. Vision will sell the kit bundled with AP rotors, or without. I wanted to use Girodisc, so I opted out. The key to their kit though is the included adapter, which allows the larger rotor to mount to our stock caliper mounting holes.

For the rear, I rebuilt the stock calipers (a good cleaning, new dust boots, inspected pistons, replaced bleed screws, etc.) and installed with the 325mm Girodisc kit and Pagid Black pads. Stainless lines installed all around as well (ECS tuning). Bled the system, bled it again, bled it again, and then one more time. Took four bleeds, but it's now fully de-aired and feels great. Ready for the Glen next week!

As always, thanks to this awesome P-9 community for the various articles / discussions / advice that made this project possible (and made it a DIY, saving me probably a grand in labor!). Thought I'd share this all back, in case it may be of value to others down the road. If anyone tries this in the future and needs tips, please reach out.

:dance:

View attachment 60560 View attachment 60561 View attachment 60562 View attachment 60563
Be455- Did you also change the master Cyl? Not sure if I missed that part...

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes - GT3 master cylinder. But I did that a little while back now... not part of this project. From what I've seen, it may not be essential to make this setup work, but I'd certainly recommended it. Search around a bit and you'll see the merits of the GT3 MC, universally very positive reviews. Much better pedal feel - firmer / higher. The mushy stock pedal feel is an embarrassment.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts