Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I took delivery of my BRZ this week. So far, it's everything that the reviews say it is. I absolutely love the car, and I find it to be the perfect DD/street car for me.

Here are some pics:

Some thoughts come to mind when comparing this car to my spyder:

1) I think Chris Harris' thoughts are spot on. The 987 has everything the BRZ has, but it's just got more of everything.
2) The BRZ suspension is very nice for street use and is not quite as harsh as the spyder can sometimes be.
3) Why is it that a cheap car like the BRZ has deviated stitching EVERYWHERE, as a standard, no cost feature, but Porsche makes you pay for deviated stitching that isn't even complete?
4) The BRZ steering wheel ROCKS. Small diameter, thick wheel, great feel. I'm still confused why Porsche steering wheels are as big as a bus steering wheel.
5) The shifter. Short, precise, notchy, rifle bolt action. It feels very similar to the Porsche short shifter I was able to try once. I can see why some guys like this type of shifter, and I like it too. However, I still like the way my regular spyder shifter feels too.
6) The seats. Awesome. Better than I had imagined. Alcantara center inserts without having to pay Porsche 'elite' model prices. Better than the recaros in my old Evo. Not quite as comfortable and giggle inducing as the sport buckets, but great nonetheless
7) seating position. Spyder still feels better, but only by a small margin.
8) Engine. No comparison. No surprise. Other than the cool induction noise, the rest of the noises being made are bleh. Nothing like the pure music of a flat 6.
9) Power. Very little torque. I can't comment on top end power yet because the car isn't broken in, but I'm not expecting much.

This is a FUN car to drive, make no mistake. I'm lucky to own both cars.

A few 'tweaks' I made to the car:

Red STi push button:

JDM exhaust tips. Compare to USDM ones, which are horribly wimpy

·
Registered
448 Posts
Congrats.
Sounds like the perfect DD.
Appreciate your comparison. My observations after a couple of ride alongs at autoXs are about the same. Nice car for the money. Good foundation for a great autocrosser with more power, tweaked suspension, stickier rubber, etc...
Good Luck with it.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Looks great.. Curious why you went w/ the Subaru version rather than the Scion version?? (I haven't looked at them lately to see if there are any differences other than badging)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hey guys,

I took delivery of my BRZ this week. So far, it's everything that the reviews say it is. I absolutely love the car, and I find it to be the perfect DD/street car for me.

Here are some pics:

1) I think Chris Harris' thoughts are spot on. The 987 has everything the BRZ has, but it's just got more of everything.
2) The BRZ suspension is very nice for street use and is not quite as harsh as the spyder can sometimes be.
3) Why is it that a cheap car like the BRZ has deviated stitching EVERYWHERE, as a standard, no cost feature, but Porsche makes you pay for deviated stitching that isn't even complete?
4) The BRZ steering wheel ROCKS. Small diameter, thick wheel, great feel. I'm still confused why Porsche steering wheels are as big as a bus steering wheel.
5) The shifter. Short, precise, notchy, rifle bolt action. It feels very similar to the Porsche short shifter I was able to try once. I can see why some guys like this type of shifter, and I like it too. However, I still like the way my regular spyder shifter feels too.
6) The seats. Awesome. Better than I had imagined. Alcantara center inserts without having to pay Porsche 'elite' model prices. Better than the recaros in my old Evo. Not quite as comfortable and giggle inducing as the sport buckets, but great nonetheless
8) Engine. No comparison. No surprise. Other than the cool induction noise, the rest of the noises being made are bleh. Nothing like the pure music of a flat 6.
9) Power. Very little torque. I can't comment on top end power yet because the car isn't broken in, but I'm not expecting much.

Red STi push button:

TRD japan makes some nice pieces they call member braces to stiffen up the chassis. As the BRZ and the Toyota version are really the same car the parts should fit fine. I had them on my Toyota MR-S and they really solidified the car.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,600 Posts
What a tremendous value this car is. I'm sure there will be tons of aftermarket support to make it a nice track toy at a very nice price

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, everyone!

Looks great.. Curious why you went w/ the Subaru version rather than the Scion version?? (I haven't looked at them lately to see if there are any differences other than badging)
In the USDM, the Subaru is better equipped than the Scion. This is my DD, so standard features like navi, leather/alcantara seating, heated seats, auto climate control, HID lights, an so on are nice to have over the Scion. Plus I can't get WR Blue Pearl with a Scion. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Congras! I am also thinking about a BRZ as DD in place of my Spyder. How is interior noise level. The Spyder is wonderful for leisure driving, but the noise during commuting hours gets tiring.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I wondered when somebody would out with a car like this:
RWD
Tight suspension
Good brakes
Well thought out interior--for the enthusiast.

For $25K or there abouts it's a great dual purpose car.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, everyone!

Congras! I am also thinking about a BRZ as DD in place of my Spyder. How is interior noise level. The Spyder is wonderful for leisure driving, but the noise during commuting hours gets tiring.
Interior noise level is nowhere near as loud as the spyder on the highways. It's not dead quiet, but it's very tolerable/comfortable. A long trip in a spyder can get tedious with the wind noise. Those roof arms just generate a lot of buffeting wind. It always sounds like the window is open.

I really like the blue. I looked at a base Cayman that was traded on the Scion version. Seems like a nice car but I prefer my Cayman as a DD.
Cayman makes a great DD. Spyder... not so much.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Hey guys,

Here are some pics:

Red STi push button:

Ditto on the deviated stitching and the Alcantara. Are you familiar with the first gen RX7? Would it be something close to that? By the way Alcantara is the biggest scam foisted on the automotive consumer. It's made from polyurethane, it's sold under different monikers, Ultrasuede is the same thing licensed from the the same Japanese manufacturer, I get it for my business at about $70.00 per yard. It's a great product, we spec it for all kinds of furniture, but the prices that Porsche and the Italians ask for is utterly ridiculous, they charge more for it than leather. It's great for durability and stain repellency but it doesn't breath. Congrats on your car, it's beautiful.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ditto on the deviated stitching and the Alcantara. Are you familiar with the first gen RX7? Would it be something close to that? By the way Alcantara is the biggest scam foisted on the automotive consumer. It's made from polyurethane, it's sold under different monikers, Ultrasuede is the same thing licensed from the the same Japanese manufacturer, I get it for my business at about $70.00 per yard. It's a great product, we spec it for all kinds of furniture, but the prices that Porsche and the Italians ask for is utterly ridiculous, they charge more for it than leather. It's great for durability and stain repellency but it doesn't breath. Congrats on your car, it's beautiful.
Thanks! Unfortunately, I've never driven a first gen RX7, so I can't give you a comparison. I'm not surprised at all about Alcantara being a scam...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Your car looks really, really nice. I may need to go down to the Subaru dealer and try to check one out. I thought I'd seen some on the road and not been as impressed, but maybe it was the Scion version.

·
Registered
380 Posts
You neglected to mention that, like on my wife's WRX wagon and Porsches, the tach where GAWD meant it to be.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There's only one interior choice with the BRZ and the red stitching works well with all available exterior colors.

To add deviated stitching to a Porsche is expensive because one color doesn't work for all the standard Porsche color options. Their manufacturing efficiency is decreased to accommodate special requests like this and that is where the extra cost originates.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I am actually considering one of these as a DD as my wifes DD is the Boxster :(

and I was also thinking of using it as a track car due to cost diference to the boxster

1 - 20 of 22 Posts