Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have demonstrated that a Cayman S can indeed outbrake a 95' Honda Accord in the wet.

Driving home from work on 17-N yesterday. It was raining and the car in front of me stopped. I stopped too, but the Honda just kept on coming and started to skid all over the place. I rolled forward a little bit to give him more space but in vain, he hit me probably doing 10 mph. The two bumper guards popped out and there are several scratches on the bumper cover. He must have hit me in an angle, because the right cover looks much worse than the left one.

I do not see any visible damage beyond that, but worried about the exhaust/spoiler and hatch. Called the local dealer today and they have their cars repaired at Signature Auto Body here in Charleston. Does anyone know anything about this shop?

It was incredibly frustrating because the car is just 3 weeks old, got the license plates last Friday...

Tamas

·
Registered
607 Posts
I know it sucks, but just be thankful that it wasn't worse. at 10mph, your chassis should be fine. Everything else can be put back to place... but once the chasis is bent out of shape, things will never be the same.

Just make sure that the paint thickness will come VERY close to the rest of your body panels. Porsche paint thickness is very close from panel to panel, where American brands are not, let your body shop know about this. Check to make sure about the tape lines too... just small things to give it that perfect touch and everything will be like new.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Hi guys,

I have demonstrated that a Cayman S can indeed outbrake a 95' Honda Accord in the wet.

Driving home from work on 17-N yesterday. It was raining and the car in front of me stopped. I stopped too, but the Honda just kept on coming and started to skid all over the place. I rolled forward a little bit to give him more space but in vain, he hit me probably doing 10 mph. The two bumper guards popped out and there are several scratches on the bumper cover. He must have hit me in an angle, because the right cover looks much worse than the left one.

I do not see any visible damage beyond that, but worried about the exhaust/spoiler and hatch. Called the local dealer today and they have their cars repaired at Signature Auto Body here in Charleston. Does anyone know anything about this shop?

It was incredibly frustrating because the car is just 3 weeks old, got the license plates last Friday...

Tamas
Sorry to hear about the crash. I would recomend that you have the Dealer inspect the car before you accept the repair from the body shop or accept anything from your Insurance Co.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Sorry to get off track, but looking at the pics you uploaded, you just made me regret my decision in stepping out of my 07 CS and into my 997.2 C2S... your car really is a gem, should have got into a 987.2 S instead. I guess you don't appreciate things until you lose them.

If all that got damaged were the bumperettes and a few scratches on the bumper, I wouldn't worry about it too much and if it's a body shop the dealer works with, then I am sure they have worked on plenty of Porsches... just remind them about the paint thickness if they have to repaint the bumper to match the rest of your body panels.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys,

Thanks for the input! I will go to the body shop today to check them out and call the adjustor from State Farm. Will take some pictures of the damage and upload them in my gallery.

Tamas

·
Registered
113 Posts
I got rear ended years ago when I had a 911C4. A lot of sheetmetal damage. I had a real hard time when it came time to sell the car. No one wanted a resprayed 911. Since this happened I uderstand you can get additional insurance claim for deprecated value. Anyone hear of this?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi guys,

Tamas

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. The advice from another member with regard to paint thickness is a good one. Many dealers use a paint meter now to check to see if a car has been repainted as body shops are becoming increasingly aware of their tape lines.

Maybe you can use your car being in the shop as an excuse to paint some interior pieces and or wheels? Just an idea that may help turn a lemon into lemonade!

·
Registered
607 Posts
I got rear ended years ago when I had a 911C4. A lot of sheetmetal damage. I had a real hard time when it came time to sell the car. No one wanted a resprayed 911. Since this happened I uderstand you can get additional insurance claim for deprecated value. Anyone hear of this?
This is exactly why I mentioned the paint thickness issue. There is a small device, which I don't know the name of, that inspectors use to check for damage (one of many) which measures the thickness. On Porsche cars, there is very slight deviation of paint thickness between body panels. Domestic cars tend to have a greater variation.

Porsche buyers tend to be a bit "picky" so you have the right to also be "picky" when it comes to repairs. You can also claim the depreciated value from their insurance, just prove the car was 3 weeks old and bought new, etc.. and a few grand can be had depending on how hard you try.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
A friend had pretty major damage to his GT3 and tried everything but a lawsuit to claim depreciated value but the insurance company refused to pay it. It stressed him out for the better part of a year trying to get those $.

As said above, I don't think you have very much to worry about if it was just the bumperettes and the bumper cover.

·
Registered
113 Posts
A friend had pretty major damage to his GT3 and tried everything but a lawsuit to claim depreciated value but the insurance company refused to pay it. It stressed him out for the better part of a year trying to get those $.

As said above, I don't think you have very much to worry about if it was just the bumperettes and the bumper cover.

My wife car was in a flood and they fixed it . I tried to get depreciated value and was told it required a second party, like being hit by someone. In that case you can claim against the person who hit you. Not sure if this is really how it would work.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry to hear about the crash. I would recomend that you have the Dealer inspect the car before you accept the repair from the body shop or accept anything from your Insurance Co.
Good idea, thanks! This shop came highly recommended by the local dealersip, but I will ask them to take a look. Called my salesman today and he advised me to take some pictures of the damage so later on I can prove that it was not major.

Ouch! Almost suffered a similar fate last week-young woman on her phone.:(
Croctor, the driver was my age. He was just not driving according to the road conditions. I have already ordered a base ball bat with a Porsche logo to take care of similar incidents...;)

A friend had pretty major damage to his GT3 and tried everything but a lawsuit to claim depreciated value but the insurance company refused to pay it.
BIC, I will take a look into this. I do not understand why I have to incur some financial losses way down the road because of some random idiot.

Tamas

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. The advice from another member with regard to paint thickness is a good one. Many dealers use a paint meter now to check to see if a car has been repainted as body shops are becoming increasingly aware of their tape lines.
Jason and Boobernackle,

I will ask the shop about the paint meter. I am familiar with it, the dealer checked the paint-thickness with the device before we sold my Mother's car.

Cayman vs. Carrera S? I drove an 07 Cayman S and an 09 Carrera and was fairly underwhelmed by both. I am sure that the Carrera S is a great car, but it did not do it for me. The Gen2 Cayman on the other hand...:)

Tamas

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
BIC, I will take a look into this. I do not understand why I have to incur some financial losses way down the road because of some random idiot.
You might check with your insurance if they can collect it from his insurance, however, I am pretty sure you will not have to worry about much if any loss with the amount of damage you suffered-pretty minor stuff even though I know it hurts to see it on a new car.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You might check with your insurance if they can collect it from his insurance, however, I am pretty sure you will not have to worry about much if any loss with the amount of damage you suffered-pretty minor stuff.
BIC,

Spoke to my salesman again today. He said that the insurance companies usually pay 10-15% of the repair cost as depreciation. Say 300 dollars on a 2000 dollar repair...We have the same insurance company and the same agent that may not make things easy either.

Anyway, you can check out the damage in my gallery.

Tamas

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FrankTR, Jputt, Boobernackle and BIC,

My car has been repaired and it is better than ever. No structural damage, the rear bumper cover, bumperettes and heat shield were replaced by Performance Auto Collision in Atlanta. They did a flawless job.

The repair came to 2.000 dollars and State Farm payed 1.000 on top of that for depreciation. I am perfectly happy with that.

I would like to sincerely thank you for the all valuable information that you provided throughout. I would have never even thought of depreciated value and paint thickness. Thanks again!

Tamas

1 - 17 of 17 Posts