Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tinker with cars.

Sometimes I buy cars that are disheveled and need my tinkering. Sometimes I buy perfectly good cars and can't leave well enough alone. Sometimes (ok, once) I buy new cars and tinker with it to make it how I think it should have been made. But, regardless, I tinker. As much as I wish I wouldn't.

When I special ordered the Cayman, I thought "this car is perfect." The GTS came out a few months later and, since I didn't want to pay the extra for sports chrono, I lamented that it had more HP than mine and cool interior package, but didn't really care cuz the price difference wasn't worth it to me. I knew vendors would eventually crack the computer and I too could have more HP. When the GT4 came out I wished I too could have a 3.8 but knew I didn't really need a bigger engine, as the car was plenty fast. And the GT4 didn't work in the role the Cayman played as daily driver.

But, still I tinkered with this "perfect" car. I got headers. I painted the wheels, got new wheels that didn't work (and sold). I put on a GT4 steering wheel. A few other goodies, like a ducktail and side scoops, and viola it was mine. With the addition last week of 19" CEC wheels (replacing the 21" wheels that were too rough for my daily driving), now it is perfect. For me, at least. Which means I should get bored in about six months and sell it.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Supercar
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Yellow Supercar

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
I tinker with cars.

Sometimes I buy cars that are disheveled and need my tinkering. Sometimes I buy perfectly good cars and can't leave well enough alone. Sometimes (ok, once) I buy new cars and tinker with it to make it how I think it should have been made. But, regardless, I tinker. As much as I wish I wouldn't.

When I special ordered the Cayman, I thought "this car is perfect." The GTS came out a few months later and, since I didn't want to pay the extra for sports chrono, I lamented that it had more HP than mine and cool interior package, but didn't really care cuz the price difference wasn't worth it to me. I knew vendors would eventually crack the computer and I too could have more HP. When the GT4 came out I wished I too could have a 3.8 but knew I didn't really need a bigger engine, as the car was plenty fast. And the GT4 didn't work in the role the Cayman played as daily driver.

But, still I tinkered with this "perfect" car. I got headers. I painted the wheels, got new wheels that didn't work (and sold). I put on a GT4 steering wheel. A few other goodies, like a ducktail and side scoops, and viola it was mine. With the addition last week of 19" CEC wheels (replacing the 21" wheels that were too rough for my daily driving), now it is perfect. For me, at least. Which means I should get bored in about six months and sell it.

View attachment 159874 View attachment 159882 View attachment 159890 View attachment 159898
Gt4 works as a daily driver but I get what you mean with respect to personalizing a car!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
734 Posts
I tinker with cars.

View attachment 159874 View attachment 159882 View attachment 159890 View attachment 159898
You got a good looking car and nicely modded..keep it. The 981 Cayman, with its good looks and N/A Flat 6 will always be special to many.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
K-Man: GT4 wouldn't work for me -- too low for the incline in my garage (the nose scrapes as it is with x73) and I don't like the wing. Otherwise.....

Cayman Ed: Thanks. I'll try to keep it, but my automotive ADHD gets my brain going on a new project and....

Mr. Cheese: 18# and 20#, respectively. Expensive and worth almost half as much as I paid. Wait....

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
When I read the thread title I though you had varnished or lacquered the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I used to be like that too, spend 10's of thousands on modifications when I first get any sports car. With my Boxster S, I haven't spend much, my first mod is usually wheels, then suspension, exhaust, etc. I haven't changed much on the Boxster S, just got an AWE sports exhaust b/c I didn't like the OEM sound. LED side markers, GTS rear lights, and GTS rear diffuser. As I get older, I just don't care that much about modifications, the Boxster S is pretty much perfect the way it is.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Very nice! Are they the c884 forged wheels? Did you stay with stock size tires? I am looking to go to wider gt4 size tires, so I need wider and lighter wheels. I like the clean and simple look of your wheel. Are the prices listed on the website what I should expect?

·
Registered
514 Posts
good luck finding a replacement once the boredom really sets in...ask me how i know

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice! Are they the c884 forged wheels? Did you stay with stock size tires? I am looking to go to wider gt4 size tires, so I need wider and lighter wheels. I like the clean and simple look of your wheel. Are the prices listed on the website what I should expect?
I went with stock but they can make whatever sizes you want I believe. I did not pay those prices (on the web site) but don't know how much it varies depending on size.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I tinker with cars.

Which duck tail did you get and how was the install? I've been contemplating one for quite a while now...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Nice car Ed! :)

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I used to do the tinkering over the 'life' of my ownership (usually quite short), but it was stupid. Ended up spending the same money, and didn't enjoy the mods done near the end of my ownership. Nowadays I do everything I want to do immediately, so I can at least enjoy the car 'finished' for my entire ownership period. And don't have the urge to keep tinkering, but that's just me. By the way, I stopped modifying my cars mechanically, especially now that they're more expensive. I only do cosmetic mods, like installing full LEDs, radar detector mounts and hard-wiring, tint, clear markers, debadging, change trim if needed (not on this car), etc. Don't touch the suspension, engine, or wheels anymore, so always buy the car the way I want it, and leave it alone;).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Looks "OEM+", which is a great look.

Any pics of the GT4 wheel installed?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.