Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got mixed feelings right now. I've been trying to figure out how to word this and what sort of context to put in but I think I'm just gonna throw out a bunch of words and hope I can convey the emotions I'm feeling.

My car was perfect.

It gave me everything I ever wanted from it and then some. Not just some. It gave me so much more than I ever thought I'd get from a car. When I started dreaming about it all those years ago, I envisioned long drives through winding roads outside of town and enjoying going places with the roof down and the wind in my hair. I never for a second envisioned getting involved in an exotic car club and blasting through back roads with supercars. While I knew I'd be taking it to a race track for some fun now and then, I never thought I'd turn into a full-blown track addict looking forward to the next track day and burning through a set of tires and brakes every year.

Those things all happened, and the car took it all in stride.

If not for going to the track and trying to chase down new friends in faster cars, I think I'd have kept my Boxster forever. I never wanted a 911. I never wanted anything else. It was just perfect for everything I wanted from it. I don't think there's a better car out there for enjoying on the streets. I doubt I'll ever find another car that sounded as good or that could be so rewarding for driving well.

Mechanically, the car was perfect. I never had any warning lights. It never consumed an ounce of oil. It just did its thing over and over and over again and begged for more.

If any of you followed my ongoing thread about my track days, you can see my progression from my very first time to where I was this year. The car punched way above its weight class. I couldn't be prouder of what it was able to do.

And now it's gone. :(

I can only hope that it will now go on to its forever home and the next owner appreciates it even half as much as I did. It's a very special car and deserves to be treated as such.

The last drive was on Monday and it was bittersweet. There were moments as we cruised along, with my wife in the passenger seat holding our dog and just enjoying the ride, where I'd pat the steering wheel gently and try to say goodbye. I hope she knows how much I loved her and doesn't feel betrayed. I'm not lying when I say I gave her a big hug at the end and it broke my heart to see her with her plates removed.

It's time to move on to the next chapter in my life. I'm sure I'll have some regrets but hopefully the change will have been worth it.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I've got mixed feelings right now. I've been trying to figure out how to word this and what sort of context to put in but I think I'm just gonna throw out a bunch of words and hope I can convey the emotions I'm feeling.

My car was perfect.

It gave me everything I ever wanted from it and then some. Not just some. It gave me so much more than I ever thought I'd get from a car. When I started dreaming about it all those years ago, I envisioned long drives through winding roads outside of town and enjoying going places with the roof down and the wind in my hair. I never for a second envisioned getting involved in an exotic car club and blasting through back roads with supercars. While I knew I'd be taking it to a race track for some fun now and then, I never thought I'd turn into a full-blown track addict looking forward to the next track day and burning through a set of tires and brakes every year.

Those things all happened, and the car took it all in stride.

If not for going to the track and trying to chase down new friends in faster cars, I think I'd have kept my Boxster forever. I never wanted a 911. I never wanted anything else. It was just perfect for everything I wanted from it. I don't think there's a better car out there for enjoying on the streets. I doubt I'll ever find another car that sounded as good or that could be so rewarding for driving well.

Mechanically, the car was perfect. I never had any warning lights. It never consumed an ounce of oil. It just did its thing over and over and over again and begged for more.

If any of you followed my ongoing thread about my track days, you can see my progression from my very first time to where I was this year. The car punched way above its weight class. I couldn't be prouder of what it was able to do.

And now it's gone. :(

I can only hope that it will now go on to its forever home and the next owner appreciates it even half as much as I did. It's a very special car and deserves to be treated as such.

The last drive was on Monday and it was bittersweet. There were moments as we cruised along, with my wife in the passenger seat holding our dog and just enjoying the ride, where I'd pat the steering wheel gently and try to say goodbye. I hope she knows how much I loved her and doesn't feel betrayed. I'm not lying when I say I gave her a big hug at the end and it broke my heart to see her with her plates removed.

It's time to move on to the next chapter in my life. I'm sure I'll have some regrets but hopefully the change will have been worth it.
The obvious question becomes WHY??

·
Registered
222 Posts
Okay, I'll share. My CGTS is gone too! :helpme:

I was without a Porsche for about two (LONG) months. :wall: Until...my new 911 GTS was delivered last week. I'll most certainly miss the Cayman, but time moves on and I'll just have to make due with a 911. :banana:

Please let us know the rest of your story. :gossip: Hope it has a happy ending. :cheers:

Reactions: mikeral

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The more obvious questions is ...

OMG, she sat in the front seat Holding the DOG? :eek:

What happens to the dog when you panic brake???
I'm replying to these out of order but this one seems like it should be addressed first. :) It's not ideal, but the best solution we've found is to run a strap around the seatbelt and attach it to her harness. We know this isn't going to save her in a serious crash, but it keeps her safe in terms of ensuring she stays in the car no matter what with respect to driving or panic braking or anything else.

That said... she absolutely LOVES it. :) In the Jeep, we have a box that's seatbelted in and has a strap attached to her harness. That way she can stick her head out as dogs love to do. When we take the doors off, the box moves to the middle.

I got the Boxster in December 2014. The Jeep in January 2015. The dog in February 2015. She's been driving in the open air for as long as she can remember. :)

The obvious question becomes WHY??
I really have become a bit of a track junkie. The Boxster has been an absolute champ and if you've seen my videos, you know I've been able to keep up to most of the people on track but there's some that I can't even dream of catching. It's not a competition, but part of the fun out there is chasing down and playing around and seeing who you can catch and who you can't.

In the past year, I've actually driven more miles on the track than on the street, and loved every moment of it.

Next year I'll move out of the intermediate groups and into the top class. Some of the guys I hang out with at the track have GT3RS's and GT4's and other obviously-faster-than-a-Boxster cars. I don't want to have a faster car than other people, but I also don't want to hit a wall where no matter how much better I'm getting I simply can't keep up.

So it's time for a more track-focused car. It's time for a GT3. :)

It's probably a sign of how much I love my Boxster that the new car is practically a tribute car. Guards Red. Platinum Satin wheels. Black headlights. Nobody will even know I changed cars. :)

Attachments

Reactions: bybybmw

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I'll share. My CGTS is gone too! :helpme:

I was without a Porsche for about two (LONG) months. :wall: Until...my new 911 GTS was delivered last week.
Nice!! And congrats!!

Mine is gonna be a 5-6 month wait... but thankfully that will include the entire winter. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Nice!! And congrats!!

Mine is gonna be a 5-6 month wait... but thankfully that will include the entire winter. :)
Thanks. I'll be putting my car to sleep for a few months soon.

Congrats to you on your forthcoming GT3!! As it looks like it will be a track rat, are you going with PDK or are you old school and like to shift for yourself?

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
I remember how long it took you to get your Boxster.

Do you need another gofundme site for your GT3? lol.

Good move.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
So it's time for a more track-focused car. It's time for a GT3. :)

It's probably a sign of how much I love my Boxster that the new car is practically a tribute car. Guards Red. Platinum Satin wheels. Black headlights. Nobody will even know I changed cars. :)
I bet they will on the track! Enjoy and congrats.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Don't feel bad, Boxsters & Caymans are gateway drugs to faster 911's. Still driving my CS for a few more months, but it will be gone in February when my 911 GTS shows up.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I kinda regretted trading in my 981 Boxster for a base 991. The Carrera was just too big for me. Sold it and now very happy with my CGTS. Different strokes for different folks.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
I kinda regretted trading in my 981 Boxster for a base 991. The Carrera was just too big for me. Sold it and now very happy with my CGTS. Different strokes for different folks.
Isn't that the truth. I just got a Base 991.2 C4 a few months ago.....but I kept my 981. I would much rather drive my 981. It is such an awesome car.

·
Registered
697 Posts
logical move if you are interested in track time.
I plan to do the same jump in several years but absolutely will not be selling my Cayman. Way too special of a car to me.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Isn't that the truth. I just got a Base 991.2 C4 a few months ago.....but I kept my 981. I would much rather drive my 981. It is such an awesome car.
Agree! Just got a 991.2 GTS Cab MT which is a remarkable car. However, the Spyder is more fun to drive.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congrats to you on your forthcoming GT3!! As it looks like it will be a track rat, are you going with PDK or are you old school and like to shift for yourself?
Thanks!! I'm getting a manual. I really am recreating my Boxster in a sort of supersized form. I want this car to be everything my Boxster was, just cranked up to 11.

I remember how long it took you to get your Boxster.

Do you need another gofundme site for your GT3? lol.

Good move.
Funny you should mention that. :D Going off on a bit of a tangent here... in the past year or so I've been learning about crypto currencies and trying to wrap my head around their long-term prospects and how they're going to affect the world once they go mainstream. As part of this, I got myself a Bitcoin wallet and then, just to get an idea of how it worked and to see the thing do something, I started joking about a GoFundMe for a gummy bear. My goal was to just get a penny in my wallet to play around.

It's been a bit of a fiasco. :)

I put the word out through some friends and posted the info on Twitter to little effect but eventually someone took pity and sent what I believe was supposed to be 50 cents. I was ecstatic!!! And then it disappeared into Bitcoin limbo. :D

So now I have a better understanding of how it works... and still can't afford a gummy bear. :D Here's the progress so far... NotWeasel: The whole world has gone to crap. - BitCoin GoFundMe for Gummy Bear

Let's not turn this into a Bitcoin conversation though. If anyone wants to comment on it, by all means do it at that link.

As for the new car... I'm going into this with a different philosophy with regard to the money aspect. With the Boxster, I was determined to save up 100% in advance so I could buy it and not worry about it. You guys remember how long that took... but I did it. :)

For this one I'm taking a different approach. Not because I've lost my mind and decided to be financially irresponsible. There's two things that convinced me it's ok to take on debt for this one. Firstly, I think there's a non-trivial chance that they might never make another car like it so if I don't get one now, I'll never be able to. I expect it to be everything I love about my Boxster at the race track turned up to ludicrous mode. Naturally aspirated, rear wheel drive, manual Porsche. If I thought they'd still be making them 3 years from now, I wouldn't have even considered it now.

The second thing is that I'm still super-cheap in general and still hoarding my savings for the possibility that I find myself out of work or something in the future. I love cars and I love having fun with cars but I also love the security of knowing that if I lose my job nobody will come and take my house away and that I'll be able to pay my bills long enough to find another job, even if that takes more than a few months.

Now... with the new car... all that is sort of out the window but not really. I've been saving as usual over the past few years (though spending too much on things like tires and brakes and track fees...) so, along with trading in the Boxster, I'm able to pay off most of the new car up front if I liquidate all of my non-retirement savings. Now, this next part is pure speculation, but I believe the amount I'm going to owe after I pick it up is actually going to be less than the immediate jump in value the car is going to take the moment I pick it up. With that being the case... if tragedy struck... I could sell the car and be better off than when I bought it so from a risk perspective there really isn't any. I expect I'll have it fully paid off by the time it's worth what I'm paying for it. How weird is that for a car??? :)

I bet they will on the track! Enjoy and congrats.
Thanks! At least now people won't be shocked if I pass them. :)

Don't feel bad, Boxsters & Caymans are gateway drugs to faster 911's. Still driving my CS for a few more months, but it will be gone in February when my 911 GTS shows up.
You know... people say that... and I read that sort of thing before I got my Boxster... but honestly, if not for the track, I'd have no desire whatsoever to switch to a 911. My Boxster was very highly optioned. It cost more than a new base 991 so it was never a matter of getting a Boxster because I couldn't afford a 911. Unless you need the back seats or care too much about prestige, I just can't imagine a better street car!

That's not surprising to me. It's expected. There's zero chance I'd have ever switched to a base 991 from my Boxster!

logical move if you are interested in track time.
I plan to do the same jump in several years but absolutely will not be selling my Cayman. Way too special of a car to me.
Forgetting that I couldn't afford to keep both, even if I could I wouldn't have room for them. :(

That said... if I were to win the lottery today... I'd be at the dealer tomorrow buying my car back. :D

Good luck in your endeavor. I always enjoyed reading your posts.
I'm going to keep updating my track history post here. :) Every now and then I still go through it from the beginning and relive the various milestones. :)

If anyone hasn't seen it... you can follow it here: http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-and-boxster-competition/110545-i-did-my-first-de-amazing.html

·
Registered
782 Posts
After 2 Track seasons in a 991.2 C4S, I can tell you it’s much nicer to pass in a 911 than be passed in a 981!
I have not drunk the MT Kool-Aid and both my cars have PDK.
But the change may come with other than a monitory cost.
You are now driving an even faster car.
-Richard

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After 2 Track seasons in a 991.2 C4S, I can tell you it’s much nicer to pass in a 911 than be passed in a 981!
To be honest... it's deeply satisfying to get point-bys from much faster cars in the Boxster. If you look at my videos in the other thread, you'll see that I very often ran down obviously better cars and the more practice I got the more it happened. I love those moments!!

But the times when an RS or something would just blast by me like I was on a Sunday drive were a bit frustrating. Now that won't happen anymore. I mean... it's not that I won't get passed... but going forward when it happens I'll know that it's because of my driving and can then work that much harder to try to keep up.

I actually think I'm going to be safer in the new car as well, despite the higher speeds. I would feel like I was driving the wheels off my car to catch and pass things like GT4's. The one time I went off the track I was chasing after a 997 RS that I probably had no hope in hell of catching but was determined to make a go of. With the new car I shouldn't be pushing the limits of the car just to try to keep up which should keep me safer than I would be trying to get every last ounce of speed out of a slower car.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes and more fun IMHO

·
Registered
404 Posts
My 2014CS is always the fastest Cayman on track. If the course is twisty, I can sometime turn quicker laps than a GT3 (unless the driver is really good.) The car has 24,000 miles and numerous upgrades, though obviously it's been driven hard...until the last lap last Friday when a deer jumped in front of me while I was doing about 90. But think of it this way: With new hood, bumper, quarter panel and windshield it will look as good as it drives. I'll price it fairly.

Instead of angst and depression, though, I figured it was time to pass Turbos and GT3s regularly, so in two weeks I pick up my new McLaren. But there'll still many times I will miss the Cayman.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.