Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I signed up with the Audi Quattro group to attend a winter driving school this past Monday and Tuesday. We were at Hunter Mt Ski in New York and on the second day we were able to drive up and then back down the intermediate slope with our cars. They had coaches there from a Rally school for us to learn from. They set up cones going up and back down and then encouraged rally turns all the way. I and many others were not very sure if the Cayman could get started up the hill but I made every run. I did a couple of 360's on the way back down but still did better than the rally coach when he took the wheel of the Cayman.
This car is amazing in the snow and Ice. On the parking lot (ice and snow) slalom course the PDK was all the way to 4th several runs and the car had great controllability with the PSM off also. 2 1/2 hours of runs on the mountain and 4 hours in the parking lot in groups of maybe 11 max.
Bill K

Attachments

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Wow, this really looks like a fun time! Glad to hear our car does so well in these conditions. :cheers:

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
What a blast.

When someone asks me if I drive my car in the snow, I say in my best German accent "Dey hav snow in de Fatherland".

·
Registered
2 Posts
What a blast.

When someone asks me if I drive my car in the snow, I say in my best German accent "Dey hav snow in de Fatherland".
Yes, dey hav snow but they do not have liquid calcium chloride.........:wall::wall::wall::wall:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Yes, dey hav snow but they do not have liquid calcium chloride.........:wall::wall::wall::wall:
I suppose that's the chemist's name for what I call the 'brine' put down before snowfalls? Regardless, that stuff they put down sure makes a mess of my car and seems to last a long time on the road. That's why I spend a lot of time at the local do it yourself car wash.

PS. Welcome to the site! Do you like you CS? ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For 18 years my '70 914 was a blast to drive and DE. The 944 was ok but I sold it. Probably I'll sell the 964 I found last winter in a year or two. But the Cayman S will only be traded in on a newer one, if then. I find something new that it does every week. For example, when approaching a corner on the street at a modest clip (fast), just blip the gas and the PDK will shift down one or two gears and hold there. No fuss no muss, just no left foot needed.
I got a video on youtube going up the ski slope. Carman S skiing.
Bill

·
Registered
167 Posts
Over here in Germany, they throw NaCl.

Yesterday, perfectly dry day, cold but dry. Washed the car in the afternoon. Then we visited some friends around 60 miles away, as the trip involves some nice unrestricted Autobahn, I took the CR. When we headed home, they had salted the streets.... But it is just so much fun to drive the CR, I will not store it away during winter and get myself another car.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I signed up with the Audi Quattro group to attend a winter driving school this past Monday and Tuesday. We were at Hunter Mt Ski in New York and on the second day we were able to drive up and then back down the intermediate slope with our cars. They had coaches there from a Rally school for us to learn from. They set up cones going up and back down and then encouraged rally turns all the way. I and many others were not very sure if the Cayman could get started up the hill but I made every run. I did a couple of 360's on the way back down but still did better than the rally coach when he took the wheel of the Cayman.
This car is amazing in the snow and Ice. On the parking lot (ice and snow) slalom course the PDK was all the way to 4th several runs and the car had great controllability with the PSM off also. 2 1/2 hours of runs on the mountain and 4 hours in the parking lot in groups of maybe 11 max.
Bill K
Was that NEQ?... if so a great club! This where the 981 and all the newer Audis fall flat on their face with their electric e-brakes. I would assume not many customers but maybe a finger controlled switch on the steering wheel to a rheostat type device for instant e-brake modulation. Hmmm...I like it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes it was with NEQ. A great group. I started DE instructing for them at the Glen last year and decided to join them in addition to the Central new york group.
I'm hoping they get another winter event setup , maybe on a lake. At first pretty much no one thought I'd get the Cayman up the ski slope, soon all the other instructors jumped in for a ride or two.
Bill K.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts