Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been driving my 2015 Cayman GTS for over a month now. I also have a 2013 Audi S5 (with the supercharged V6).

If I had to compare them based on my experience so far, I would say that the Cayman corners better, looks more exotic, and sounds better (although the noise is ultimately tiring), but the S5 is better in everything else, and it is a MUCH better daily driver.

I find the Cayman to be a great car for some fun drives in the mountains where it's in its element. It's not a good fit for the crowded and rough roads and highways that I have to deal with here in the SF Bay Area, and in general it just feels like the wrong tool for commuting and daily driving in this environment.

It is a true sport car, and I appreciate that, but I guess I didn't fully realize before what that means in terms of daily driving. Many of the controls (including steering) are very firm. The suspension is also firm (even my PASM), and not too pleasant on the worn-out roads around here. The noise is too much after a while. It's just a tiring experience - a lot of effort, drama, and noise in a driving environment where the sportiness of the car doesn't shine.

Not a huge issue for me because I have other cars, but I do need to decide if I really need a dedicated sports car... I wanted to mention this here because there are so many comments mentioning that this car is a great daily driver, and I find that this gives the wrong impression. It really isn't in any major crowded area, and a short test drive doesn't make it obvious. You need to live with it for a while to realize what it is and what it is isn't.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
At the end of the day, it really boils down to preference/tolerance. I have friends who clock over 10,000km a year on their GT3 RSs, and loved every moment of it. Clearly the RSs aren't their only car. As reference, on average most cars clock about 8000km - 15000km a year in where I live. Then there are others who find the Cayman unbearable as daily drives.

I pick my Cayman over my other cars any day whenever I don't need extra trunk space or rear seats that day. As reference, only the Cayman's in manual, has bucket seats, and is lowered ... and I have to drive through good sections of hilly roads to get home in heavy traffic after work. All that put together I still prefer to drive the Cayman. I don't feel particularly more relaxed when I'm driving the Mini, E92 335 or the Lexus. I actually feel much more comfortable (not in terms of ride quality, but more to do with familiarity/confidence) driving the Cayman as brakes and everything are just better and feel more like home to me.

So ya, at the end of the day, it's really a matter of preference and/or tolerance.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
My 981BS is my daily driver in the South Bay, and I'm happy with it as such. Different strokes. My 914 was my daily driver for 7 years. I don't find my 981 to be a lot of effort, noise, or drama, but then I'm used to Boxsters. I don't have a long daily commute, but don't think that would change my mind. I'm sure the Audi is pleasant. My point is that the 981BS can be a great daily driver for some, not good for others.

Reactions: NetMage

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Yup ... no car is perfect for everyone. Otherwise everyone will be driving Caymans/Boxsters as daily drivers. My parents + in laws all think even the Mini is a horrible daily driver LOL.

And then you have others ... like my friend who had his stock 997.2 C2S for fewer than 5 months, because the car was just so unbearable to him. Took a bit of a hit financially there, but he just couldn't take the car anymore.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
It is a true sport car, and I appreciate that, but I guess I didn't fully realize before what that means in terms of daily driving. Many of the controls (including steering) are very firm. The suspension is also firm (even my PASM), and not too pleasant on the worn-out roads around here. The noise is too much after a while. It's just a tiring experience - a lot of effort, drama, and noise in a driving environment where the sportiness of the car doesn't shine.
What options does your car have? With PSP, PASM (in the 'Off' position) and PDK, my 981BS makes a superb daily driver. A thousand miles on the highway one day, a hundred crawling around Bay Area freeways and surface streets the next... no big deal. The next day I can put it in Sport Plus mode, shove the gearshift into manual, turn on PSE and PASM, and pretend it's a 300-horsepower Lotus Elise. The car's repertoire of personalities still amazes me after almost two years.

If you're a "purist" who insists on a Cayman with a clutch pedal and 20" wheels, who leaves both PASM and PSE in hardcore mode all the time, and who turns up his nose at the thought of PSP, then you have paid your money and made your choice. You are going to get a noisier car that rides like a go-cart, is more "engaging" and "involving" when you least want it to be, and is harder to steer in traffic jams and parking garages than it needs to be.

On the other hand, when I went through the option list, I tried to select the ones that gave me the most dynamic range. That effort has really paid off, more than I would have ever imagined. They will bury me in this car.

·
Noob
857 Posts
Pump up the music system to kill the noise :) Thats why I put in bunch of monies in getting one since engine noise can become annoying while as a daily driver.
I also got the power steering plus that seems to help in low speed situations, specially while parking and maneuvering in heavy traffic / sluggish lane switching.
And then of course PDK, can't be bothered with a manual when I am tired and driving or heavy traffic driving.

And haven't yet noticed the suspension being too stiff driving around in the bay area - 280, 85, 101, 237, 880, el camino, redwood city, mt view, sunnyvale, santa clara.
Maybe will in time since I am not using it as a commuter car just yet.

Oh and I also have an 8 year old super reliable honda civic as a beater car thats probably is as expensive as a 4k TV rather than 2+ expensive cars like you, so I don't feel the pinch or think about - is it worth having a dedicated sports car.
So my mental model changes quite a bit about owning 2 cars.

But if you like silence, love more sedan-ish luxury. and still need a super fast accelerating (for bay area driving its important) car for the bay area, then you might be better off selling both (all?) your cars and buy a Tesla P85D - perfect bay area car - and many 911 owners have switched as I have read on the tesla forums.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I LOVE my 981 Cayman as a daily driver and I live in a congested area as well. It's incredibly comfortable, quiet enough unless I step on it, has a luxurious cabin with plenty of space, and drives like a dream. I came from a Mercedes prior to joining the 981 world and I really don't feel like i'm sacrificing much in terms of daily comfort. I don't find the suspension that harsh, and I have no issue at all with the steering. The S5 is a totally different beast. Great car, but different. I'm guessing you just don't like sports cars, which is an acceptable conclusion. We all like different things. ;)

I did switch from a Boxster 6spd to a PDK Cayman because I wanted a better DD, and the Cayman has not disappointed.

Reactions: NetMage and H man

·
Registered
381 Posts
I LOVE my 981 Cayman as a daily driver and I live in a congested area as well. It's incredibly comfortable, quiet enough unless I step on it, has a luxurious cabin with plenty of space, and drives like a dream. I came from a Mercedes prior to joining the 981 world and I really don't feel like i'm sacrificing much in terms of daily comfort. I don't find the suspension that harsh, and I have no issue at all with the steering. The S5 is a totally different beast. Great car, but different. I'm guessing you just don't like sports cars, which is an acceptable conclusion. We all like different things. ;)

I did switch from a Boxster 6spd to a PDK Cayman because I wanted a better DD, and the Cayman has not disappointed.
Same experience here. My CGTS is my DD, and in fact my ONLY car. No regrets. I did opt for PASM and 18W seats though. My car has the 6sp manual transmission and I wouldn't have it any other way. I guess I'm one of the few who enjoy working the clutch in traffic-- gives me something to do.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
My 981 BS is not my daily driver but I drive it everyday. :) It's a toy that has 13,600 miles on it already and it's only a 2014 model. Yep I like driving it.

Reactions: H man

·
Registered
125 Posts
My CS is a daily driver (average suburban driving). It's a manual with standard suspension/exhaust and 20'' wheels. I have no issues regarding comfort, ride, noise, etc. Being a low car, however, ingress/egress does require a little effort. It's not bad, but some may find it wearing on a daily basis (I don't). Bottom line, it's a sports car not a sedan or SUV, so certain compromises exist.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I've been driving my 2015 Cayman GTS for over a month now. I also have a 2013 Audi S5 (with the supercharged V6).

If I had to compare them based on my experience so far, I would say that the Cayman corners better, looks more exotic, and sounds better (although the noise is ultimately tiring), but the S5 is better in everything else, and it is a MUCH better daily driver.

I find the Cayman to be a great car for some fun drives in the mountains where it's in its element. It's not a good fit for the crowded and rough roads and highways that I have to deal with here in the SF Bay Area, and in general it just feels like the wrong tool for commuting and daily driving in this environment.

Not a huge issue for me because I have other cars, but I do need to decide if I really need a dedicated sports car... I wanted to mention this here because there are so many comments mentioning that this car is a great daily driver, and I find that this gives the wrong impression. It really isn't in any major crowded area, and a short test drive doesn't make it obvious. You need to live with it for a while to realize what it is and what it is isn't.
Of course the S5 would be a better DD than a 981 GTS because the S5 was designed for the street and not the track. The base 981 provides a good balance between street and track use, the 981S has more of a track bias, and of course the 981 GTS has a significant track bias. The S5 can comfortably accommodate four adults, provides a sporty drive, and has one of the best AWD systems on the market. I own a 981S which is optioned very similarly to a GTS. As a DD I would classify my 981S as providing an acceptable driving experience, but I knew that it wasn't going to excel as a DD before I took my first test drive.

I know that your intent was to provide a heads-up to perspective to GTS buyers, but I expect that the vast majority of GTS buyers couldn't care less about its DD qualities since I expect that most them had the track and not the street in mind when they made their purchase.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I agree that it really comes down to preference and tolerance. There's a comfort in daily driving a car that (the list is long) had massive amounts of trunk space, doesn't make you wince every time you enter a driveway, can carry three or more adults with ease, is easy to get in and out of, doesn't attract that much attention, etc...

There's also a joy to driving something exciting, nimble, responsive, and thrilling with every commute. I think only through experience will one be able to gauge how much of the ratio they are willing to endure, and benefit from.

I live in the SF Bay as well, and commute into downtown SF every day. I used to live in the city and my only car (daily driver) was a 987 Cayman S with PASM, and a 6-Speed manual, and a loud Remus exhaust for 3-years. I loved every day of it, and ultimately needed to change to a bigger car (MINI JCW) so I could haul stuff when I bought a home. The Cayman was perfectly practical for my needs, and provided exactly the driving experience I wanted out of a car, on a daily basis...if I'm going to spend so much of my day driving, I want it to be in something I love, something that for me, would make me smile every leg of every commute.

Now that my hauling needs are pretty much nil, I'm counting the days until I can get back into a Cayman. I considered many other cars, the RS5, M4, 991, F-Type, hell even the Gran Turismo, and while all of them are respectable cars with great sport and practical qualities, they all seemed too big and GT-like for me. I also considered the 4C but Based on all I read, I think I had to draw the line there from a DD standpoint.

I have a 981CS on order, and while I don't know how many GTS buyers are getting them for track vs street/daily (not sure the GTS is exactly a track car as it's pretty much a highly optioned S with a bit of tuning), I do know that Caymans of all types require a mindset not of compromise, but of purpose and intent. If what you're looking for in a car, a drive, or a commute fits what a Cayman provides, then I'm sure there's little else that can replace it...I think that's why there are so many repeat buyers here at P9. The good news is that if it doesn't seem to be your thing, nothing has to be for forever and I'm sure there's plenty of people out there that would be interested in your car.

It's a good thread and I can tell that your words are authentic and honest. In fact, you've had a lot of things to say about your difficulty of ownership so far and I totally empathize with it. At some point you probably should ask yourself if it is really the car for you, daily or not. Have you considered an RS5, Vantage, or even a 911?

·
Registered
648 Posts
I wouldn't use a Cayman GTS as a daily driver. I live in Southern California and my daily commute is about 1 hour long in the worst of the stop-and-go I5 craziness. I don't see the point of creeping along at 5mph in a high performance sportscar, then leaving it parked in the hot sun on a busy street all day, then creep back home at the same pace. Nowhere on my morning or evening commute would I get to enjoy anything near the potential of this car...

I would much rather have an un-exciting, yet reliable and efficient daily driver (for me it's a 4cyl Toyota Tacoma) and then have a high-performance car to take out on the back roads on the weekends or vacation road trips, etc... I realize that makes the Cayman somewhat superfluous and unnecessary, but I'm fine with that. I have a special and fun car for when I want fast and fun (and am able to use it) and a boring yet reliable car for the daily grind.

Reactions: H man

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
I wanted to mention this here because there are so many comments mentioning that this car is a great daily driver, and I find that this gives the wrong impression. It really isn't in any major crowded area
My Boxster S is the best daily driver I've ever owned and I've lived my entire life in Los Angeles. I spec'd this car to do my agonizing commute w/o a worry.

PDK is a godsend after doing my SFV to Santa Monica daily commute for 13 years.
PASM ride is sporty but not kidney punching like my 02 Mini Cooper S was (especially when not in Sport mode).
It's quieter than my stock 02 MCS ever was while cruising (and glorious when you stomp it).
It accelerates very well.
The stereo is terrific.
I get about the same MPG as my 02 MCS (depending on my right foot).

·
Registered
407 Posts
4 months and 5 k miles and still love the ride and sound. I have one road around me I avoid due to it being rougher than I like, but hate any day I don't get to drive it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I love driving my 981C every opportunity I have, even for my hour long commute. I don't find it tiring, quite the opposite, it makes my commute into an event! My only limitation is hauling needs (3 kids).

I think everyone's thresholds are different. I used to commute year round on a motorcycle (in Canada and Germany) and also in my gutted 1973 911 2.7S without a heater. So the 981C feels very luxurious to me.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
The suitability of a Cayman/Boxster or a 911 as a DD boils down to circumstances and preferences. I haven't had to commute with the masses in 30+ years, so dealing with the daily grind of stop-and-go traffic isn't an issue. If commuting were required, I'd want PDK rather than a manual, but I find the CS and the GTS as comfortable as any car for long stints behind the wheel, whether the average speed is 10 mph or 60 mph.

Caymans and Boxsters are nearly the perfect size in an urban environment - large enough to have a comfortable cabin, and with enough wheelbase and track to provide a smooth enough ride, but still small enough that finding a parking spot is not too tough. A 911 is a bit more comfortable, but parking is also a tad more challenging, especially wide-body cars.

Personally, I have an aversion to "cushiness" in a car, so a more luxury-oriented sedan or coupe (such as an S4/RS4 or S5/RS5) is about as interesting to me as an Escalade, but I can understand why folks who need to spend hours in a day poking along in traffic might find any 2-seat or 2+2 Porsche less than ideal.

Another variable is is space to store cars. I live in an inner-city community where having a two-car garage is a rarity...and going to 3-car or 4-car capability would mean buying or building a $3-million-plus house. I don't want or need a house any bigger than the 2100 sq. feet I have now, so going to a massive house to get a bigger garage to have another couple of vehicles is a non-starter. So we "make do" with a CS and a 911. Sure, in a perfect world I'd have a 2,000 sq. foot inner-city house on a big lot with a 6-car garage. I'd need to custom build it and live there forever, as the only person I could sell it to would be a clone of me.

Everyone's circumstances and preferences will be different, and so will their vehicle choices.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Absolutely love my cayman GTS on my everyday commute. It is my daily driver. I can't afford to have multiple cars. This is also with the sport suspension option. I can't stand soft detached luxury cars. Though it's way more luxurious than I anticipated. The level of refinement in modern cars is quite impressive. I have a really hard time understanding how anyone can find this car fatiguing. Older sports cars, sure, but a modern Porsche? This car just eats up the road. Making normal driving speeds like sleeping. 80 is like 30 in this car. The sheer sensation of freedom is liberating. I can pass any car on the road if I chose too, stop faster, place the car exactly where I want it. The grace at which it tackles the road with ease is mesmerizing, intoxicating and addicting.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PDK and PSP were mentioned as helpful.

I haven't tried PSP, and read some negative reviews of it, so I didn't order it. I think it could indeed be helpful since the steering without it is really firm in slow maneuvering. This wrestling with the steering with both arms doesn't add anything positive.

I agree on the PDK. It helps in two ways.

One is that it eliminates the need to deal with the occasionally clunky shifter on the 6MT. I don't like the feel of the linkage on this shifter. Sometimes it's fine, and sometimes it feels somewhat rough and produces a metallic sound. Not to mention the challenge of putting it in reverse. I don't know why people were praising it so much - it's definitely not one of the best I used. The clutch, on the other hand, is really good.

The second advantage I see in the PDK is that it makes it easy to accelerate by using the high revs more effectively. Doing it with the 6MT imposes a challenging burden.

However, I still prefer manual, and it works well on the Audi S5. The shifter feels better, and the engine has so much low-end torque that you don't need to bother revving it much, and the car still takes off like a fighter jet.

As I mentioned, there are other parts to the picture. The suspension (PASM in my case) is acceptable, but tiring on rough roads (of which there are a lot around here.) Also, the noise on the GTS (even with PSE off) gets on your nerves eventually. I think the noise is worse in Sport Plus mode which is needed for auto rev matching (too bad they tied these together). The serious exhaust drone around 2,000 RPMs is also something I wish wasn't there.

I think this reviewer got it right:

Video: Take a spin in the Porsche Cayman GTS, a fast car with a one-track mind - The Globe and Mail

1 - 20 of 176 Posts