Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After all problems happening in and around i am finally getting the delivery of my car this tuesday. :banana:

The color is Speed yellow. 2010 model. Interior - Beige.

Options :-

Floor mats
Sound package plus
Universal audio interface
wheel center set
sport shifter

I didn't opted for pdk because i love manuals. I would have got pdk, if porsche had given proper paddle shifters instead of the lousy buttons for shifting on steering wheel.

Guys i am getting my Cayman S delivery this tuesday. Now i wanna know can i shift gears on red line even when the car is brand new?
Or do i need to keep it around 2500-3000 RPM for some miles??

Any suggestion from you guys? Any precautions?

Thank you. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Guys i am getting my Cayman S delivery this tuesday. Now i wanna know can i shift gears on red line even when the car is brand new?
Or do i need to keep it around 2500-3000 RPM for some miles??
Porsche says to keep it under 4200 rpm for 3000km / 2000 miles. If you want other opinions, do a search of this forum on "break in". It has to be one of the most discussed (and abused) topics ever posted.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Congrats on the new car. If you wanted the paddles you should have waited a few months. I guess they are going to be available early next year.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Congrats! be sure to post pics when you take delivery.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Congratulations.

I pushed mine from the word go and its been fine (touch wood). I do a lot of miles (8000 since delivery in July)

Enjoy :D

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Congratulations.

I pushed mine from the word go and its been fine (touch wood). I do a lot of miles (8000 since delivery in July)

Be interesting to know if the motor used much oil? After 2300km the level still shows full.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Be interesting to know if the motor used much oil?

The same thing happened with a lot of S2000's. Those people that followed the recommended break in period had very little if any oil usage. Many that didn't follow the recommendation, used oil. I followed the recommendation on mine and after 41,000 miles (28,000 of it boosted), I have used ZERO oil.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone for replying.

Porsche says to keep it under 4200 rpm for 3000km / 2000 miles. If you want other opinions, do a search of this forum on "break in". It has to be one of the most discussed (and abused) topics ever posted.
Thanks alot. I searched the forum but couldn't find it. Never knew i had to search under "Break in".

Congrats on the new car. If you wanted the paddles you should have waited a few months. I guess they are going to be available early next year.
Thank you. I cannot wait for even 1 more day. I'll enjoy paddles when i buy a ferrari.

Congrats! be sure to post pics when you take delivery.
Thank you. Sure i'll post many pics.

Congratulations.

Thank you. Yes touch wood.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
The same thing happened with a lot of S2000's. Those people that followed the recommended break in period had very little if any oil usage. Many that didn't follow the recommendation, used oil. I followed the recommendation on mine and after 41,000 miles (28,000 of it boosted), I have used ZERO oil.
Changing the oil too early is a bad thing.

Although not publicly announced there have been several instances with many manufactures (Porsche, VW, Honda, etc.) where changing the "factory" oil out too early is not a good thing.

Many past Porsche 928 GTS engines had a ring seal problem when the factory oil was changed out too early. The rings would not seat in properly causing excessive oil consumption. Some of engines would then use a quart of oil every 500 -1000 miles. VW VR6 engines had some problems along with the S2000.

"Overthinking" the people who actually engineered and built the engine is not a good thing.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Some people feel better about taking it easy and following the manual on break in while others don't mind. If you plan to keep a long time then you might feel better about following the manual.

But I always remember a friend going to pick up his new Formula Atlantic engine. When he asked the builder about the break in procedure he was told 'do what you want it will never be better than it is right now'.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Welcome. Enjoy yuor new ride. May i suggest you really study the owner's manual as there are a lot of nifty features inside. Drive safely.

IMHO I think some of the requirement for the "break in" period is for the driver to better know the feel of the car before using it to the maximum. IF the owner's manual specifies a break in period then I would folow it. Ed

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
You are driving a golden viman! I noticed the car was inaugurated. The main challenge is to keep the dust of it, enjoy & worthy of deity status.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts