47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a couple pics of my 2009 Cayman S

Here's the car I traded in on the CS

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
You traded in the ugly mighty GTR for your Cayman?!! :eek:

You now have a good taste, that's for sure... but how did the crock satisfy you with the big drop in horsepower? :crazy:

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Both the GTR and the CS are great cars. Might I ask what made you trade the GTR for the CS and how they compare?

-Moto

·
Registered
235 Posts
Beauty and the Beast. Good trade. I know the GTR is a performance monster, and I respect it, but I think it looks ungainly, ugly really--and it's huge--and will date itself soon. The Cayman, like most Porsches, will look good in 20 years.
BW

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both the GTR and the CS are great cars. Might I ask what made you trade the GTR for the CS and how they compare?

-Moto
Traded mainly to save some money. I have some family members that are struggling financially and needed to free up some cash so I can help them out temporarily. The GTR is big and heavy and really doesn't make any good noises. You could not hear the turbo's at all. The car really needs an exhaust system. I wasn't real fond of the DCT. It was pretty loud and clunky, especially when it was cold. The car was faster than it felt, I assume that's because of the massive weight. I never got so much attention in a car in my life. You would think I was driving a Lamborghini. I can't tell you how many people took cell phone pics of the car while driving. All in all, cool car and the looks were growing on me (hated the nose) but I am not sure it was worth 80K, and many people paid a lot more than that. The sticker was 84K and the dealer had a 15K over sticker addendum on the car. They had the car a while and after a day of negotiating we finally agreed to invoice (by the way it was a 2010). The car didn't hold it's value better than anything else I have owned even given it's very limited production. I think with mods, the car could be really amazing. I was afraid to mod the car since Nissan was voiding warranties left and right, especially trannys. I still think the car needed a manual transmission.

The CS is a little light on power (compared to my last few cars), but the whole driving experience is awesome. The sound of the engine at wide open throttle is amazing. I bought a leftover 2009 so I saved about 14K off of sticker (72K), so when you compare 58K to 80K, the CS wins hands down in the fun for dollar department. I can't wait to get exhaust and a tune to free up some more power and sound. I am having a hard time getting used to inserting a key in an ignition and it being on the left side of the steering wheel. My last few cars were keyless start. This is my first Porsche and it may have turned me into a permanent P car owner for the rest of my life. I hope to own a 911 turbo some day.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You traded in the ugly mighty GTR for your Cayman?!! :eek:

You now have a good taste, that's for sure... but how did the crock satisfy you with the big drop in horsepower? :crazy:
I miss the horsepower somewhat, but I have wifey's ISF to fill the need when it arises. :)

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Traded mainly to save some money. I have some family members that are struggling financially and needed to free up some cash so I can help them out temporarily. The GTR is big and heavy and really doesn't make any good noises. You could not hear the turbo's at all. The car really needs an exhaust system. I wasn't real fond of the DCT. It was pretty loud and clunky, especially when it was cold. The car was faster than it felt, I assume that's because of the massive weight. I never got so much attention in a car in my life. You would think I was driving a Lamborghini. I can't tell you how many people took cell phone pics of the car while driving. All in all, cool car and the looks were growing on me (hated the nose) but I am not sure it was worth 80K, and many people paid a lot more than that. The sticker was 84K and the dealer had a 15K over sticker addendum on the car. They had the car a while and after a day of negotiating we finally agreed to invoice (by the way it was a 2010). The car didn't hold it's value better than anything else I have owned even given it's very limited production. I think with mods, the car could be really amazing. I was afraid to mod the car since Nissan was voiding warranties left and right, especially trannys. I still think the car needed a manual transmission.

The CS is a little light on power (compared to my last few cars), but the whole driving experience is awesome. The sound of the engine at wide open throttle is amazing. I bought a leftover 2009 so I saved about 14K off of sticker (72K), so when you compare 58K to 80K, the CS wins hands down in the fun for dollar department. I can't wait to get exhaust and a tune to free up some more power and sound. I am having a hard time getting used to inserting a key in an ignition and it being on the left side of the steering wheel. My last few cars were keyless start. This is my first Porsche and it may have turned me into a permanent P car owner for the rest of my life. I hope to own a 911 turbo some day.
Welcome, great looking CS. I agree with opinion on the looks of the GTR, all of the Asian cars fail badly in the styling department.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Welcome, great looking CS. I agree with opinion on the looks of the GTR, all of the Asian cars fail badly in the styling department.
I agree 100% but the LFA could be one exception in that case.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
HI
Thanks for sharing your experience with both cars.
I've learned a lot about the GTR&CS with your post, taken into consideration you've owned both.
By the way I love your cayman gray but not sure if it is meteor gray???
enjoy :beer:
rex

·
Registered
973 Posts
lol at all the negative comments about the GTR..

I must say I thought it was very ugly and was disappointed by it UNTIL I saw one in person. GTR in person looks a lot better and with rims and a drop it is more appealing than a CS imo. I love my CS but a GTR is in a whole different class performance wise.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your CS.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yes, the GTR is a very high performance car - I believe R & T just did a comparison test and it fell to the ZR1 and 911 turbo. And given the price it is a bargain.

I have only seen a couple on the road from a distance so I will have to take your word about looking better in person; this is subjective but the picture above doesn't do a whole lot for me!

ps congratulations on getting a great deal on the Cayman

Dave

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HI
Thanks for sharing your experience with both cars.
I've learned a lot about the GTR&CS with your post, taken into consideration you've owned both.
By the way I love your cayman gray but not sure if it is meteor gray???
enjoy :beer:
rex
I am pretty sure the window sticker said Meteor Gray and there was some sort of surcharge, like $495. I will look again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol at all the negative comments about the GTR..

I must say I thought it was very ugly and was disappointed by it UNTIL I saw one in person. GTR in person looks a lot better and with rims and a drop it is more appealing than a CS imo. I love my CS but a GTR is in a whole different class performance wise.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your CS.
I am with you samwY, liked the GTR much more in person, especially the back and side views. The brakes are crazy looking on the GTR. Loved the black wheels against the pearl white. I just did not like the front end. I think the front looks better on black cars since everything was black. That front grille didn't stand out so much. I didn't love the interior of the GTR either, center console looked incomplete (even the wife said something). I guess I would have to say on purely looks alone, I would still lean slightly towards the GTR, but the CS is growing on me. Love the front and side, but certain angles from the rear still bother me. I think a huge Techart wing might help (just can't believe the price of that thing). Now a 911 turbo wins hands down in the looks department compared to a GTR, no question. Just don't have that kind of budget. The GTR reminded me of a new Z06, great performance for the money but when you start looking closer you find many things that just don't work in the overall scheme of an $80K car. It's hard to explain. FWIW, my wife likes the CS much more than the GTR. She says it every time she rides in it. She actually said she likes the sound of the engine! I just haven't found anything that I really don't like about the CS yet, only time will tell. Well, I do miss keyless start. Thanks for all the compliments on the cars.

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
Well I would have traded you! The two things keeping me out of a GTR are the $7500 brake replacements and $2500 tires both of which need to be done too often if you track. Congrats on the new car! WPB?

·
Registered
973 Posts
I am with you samwY, liked the GTR much more in person, especially the back and side views. The brakes are crazy looking on the GTR. Loved the black wheels against the pearl white. I just did not like the front end. I think the front looks better on black cars since everything was black. That front grille didn't stand out so much. I didn't love the interior of the GTR either, center console looked incomplete (even the wife said something). I guess I would have to say on purely looks alone, I would still lean slightly towards the GTR, but the CS is growing on me. Love the front and side, but certain angles from the rear still bother me. I think a huge Techart wing might help (just can't believe the price of that thing). Now a 911 turbo wins hands down in the looks department compared to a GTR, no question. Just don't have that kind of budget. The GTR reminded me of a new Z06, great performance for the money but when you start looking closer you find many things that just don't work in the overall scheme of an $80K car. It's hard to explain. FWIW, my wife likes the CS much more than the GTR. She says it every time she rides in it. She actually said she likes the sound of the engine! I just haven't found anything that I really don't like about the CS yet, only time will tell. Well, I do miss keyless start. Thanks for all the compliments on the cars.
Well put, I do agree the GTR will never match the classiness of a Porsche and that is something our Cayman's have a little over the GTR. But performance wise its up there with the GT3 and Turbo.

I also think its best look is from the side. I didn't realize how freaking long this car is and I love the windows and side grilles, reminds me of Gundam.

cheers

·
Registered
973 Posts
Yes, the GTR is a very high performance car - I believe R & T just did a comparison test and it fell to the ZR1 and 911 turbo. And given the price it is a bargain.

I have only seen a couple on the road from a distance so I will have to take your word about looking better in person; this is subjective but the picture above doesn't do a whole lot for me!

ps congratulations on getting a great deal on the Cayman

Dave
What do you mean fell? It beat the 911 Turbo and ZR1, with the Turbo behind by over 5 seconds.
Nissan GT-R vs. Chevrolet Corvette Z06 vs. Porsche 911 Turbo - Article - Road and Track

Chris Harris also reviewed it and it beat the GT3.

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts