Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 18 months with my 981 CS, I'm moving on to a GT3. The Cayman has been awesome and was my first car that I tracked extensively. The forgiving mid-engine design was perfect for getting comfortable on the track and moving up the DE levels to the advanced group. But I really caught the track bug and decided that I needed something more focused. My wife will continue to use the CS as a daily driver, but it will no longer need to serve double duty. Trying to balance day-to-day drivability (particularly for a spouse) with track performance always felt like a losing battle. I also found it frustrating that the upgradability of the 981 was limited, due to the encrypted ECU. The notion of "we're only a week away from cracking the ECU" has become a running joke, and by the time I added up the costs of an engine swap and major suspension mods, I was bumping into GT3 territory. The biggest motivation for a change is being able to add all the safety features that wouldn't have worked in a daily driver. My GT3 will have a roll bar, racing seats and 6 point harnesses. My wife would have never tolerated that. I had one four wheels off experience last year, when I hit fluid at 140+, with a wall about 10 meters away. That was all the convincing I needed. Ultimately, I may come back to a Cayman. I'm first on the list for a GT4, but I'm guessing it is going to take a really nice spec to lure me away from the GT3, once I've had it out on the track.

I got lucky and found an allocation for a 2015 GT3 with the lightweight sport buckets. Just picked it up on Saturday. Here are some photos. I'll still be on P9, but my posts will probably be far less track focused going forward. Cheers!

gt3-1.jpg gt3-2.jpg gt3-4.jpg View attachment gt3-5.jpg gt3-6.jpg gt3-7.jpg

·
Registered
425 Posts
The GT3 (from what I've read) is epically awesome. I too look forward to hearing your comparisons.

As I also got bit by the track bug years ago I went in a different direction. I purchased and started racing a 125cc shifter kart. It doesn't sound like cost was too much of a deterrent for you, but I found the track time vs cost of shifter karts about 1/10th that of cars, meaning I could run an entire race series going to the track every weekend, with a dedicated mechanic every race for about $6-8k annually. I just mention this because for whatever reason people seem to not know too much about shifter karts.

In a perfect world I'd have both a shifter kart and a full sized race car, since there are so many epic race tracks to drive.

But I can't blame you. I take my Cayman to the track a couple times a year just because its a Porsche and it seems like a total crime not to give it some track time. You've truly moved into dream car territory with that GT3.

·
Premium Member
5,868 Posts
Have fun with your GT3. Beautiful car!

A GT3 is the only P car that would pull me away from a Cayman. Unfortunately, that will never happen.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Congratulations on the new ride!

The 991 GT3 is epic on track and so much faster than the old 997's and is so sure footed you will feel very at ease to push it relatively hard out of the box.
It like all of the new models gives confidence unlike the previous generation cars, and doesn't carry that typical rear engine feel of old.
The brakes are amazing and do not be afraid to stomp on them late and hard. The factory car is setup it seems to understeer a little when pushed really hard, so may be something to look at dialing out at some point with a more track focussed alignment.

I don't own one but with 5 friends who do have had a fair share of time in and around them :)

Did I mention it's epic? It's a different experience to the 997 GT3's and fun in a different way.

·
Registered
35 Posts
looks good :cheers:

i am interested in the Porsche GT4 also and will be passing the CS to the girlfriend...haha if i can get her to want it instead of the Macan.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Mashallah... Beautiful masterpiece beast!

It's good to see how 987/981 owners get tempted by the dark side of the 911, and vice versa. We have now 3 991 turbos, not sure how many 991 GT3s, on P9.

See you at the 911 Section of Planet 9... It'll be nice to read turbo experiences vs GT3 experiences.

List your options list, order date, delivery date... etc.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Congratulations on your new GT3 Rich!

GT Silver looks like it was bred for the track.

Having tracked the Cayman and now the GT3, please post some of your specific findings of the differences. You may think it is bragging but some of Cayman owners would really like to know the real story from someone who can honestly compare both. My guess is you will find the extra power intoxicating. But, I'd like to know how it "feels", and how it turns, and brakes, what it does a little better and what it does a lot better than the Cayman.

Thanks and the best of luck to you.

Mc

Reactions: carl44

·
Registered
192 Posts
Congratulations on the new ride!

The 991 GT3 is epic on track and so much faster than the old 997's and is so sure footed you will feel very at ease to push it relatively hard out of the box.
It like all of the new models gives confidence unlike the previous generation cars, and doesn't carry that typical rear engine feel of old.
The brakes are amazing and do not be afraid to stomp on them late and hard. The factory car is setup it seems to understeer a little when pushed really hard, so may be something to look at dialing out at some point with a more track focussed alignment.

I don't own one but with 5 friends who do have had a fair share of time in and around them :)

Did I mention it's epic? It's a different experience to the 997 GT3's and fun in a different way.
Colin Thompson, who recently won a major GT3 Cup event, spoke at our last PCA meeting (Zone 2 RTR). He drove the new GT3 in that event and was asked how it performed versus the 997 he used to drive. He said it was "different" but at the same time was "superior" in every way. The 997 oversteered and the 991 understeered (as you noted) but after several hours of track time he "understood" the new car and found it superior. But I'm sure his team did some mods to work out the understeer since it was also mentioned that the car cost $750k to get it in Cup competition shape. Congratulations!

·
Registered
499 Posts
looks awesome! congrats on your purchase! The gt3 has a very linear power delivery, its a perfect car for people to take to the track casually. Watch out for that lift off oversteer though, it'll mess you up in some fast corners! Love the sound that thing makes stock, its delicious.

·
Registered
228 Posts
That is a beautiful car! Congrats!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Congrats! I too am interested in hearing your feelings about the car. Looks absolutely stunning! Especially with the CF buckets :)

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
We'll give him one month to break in the engine. Afterwards if he doesn't post a detailed review, we'll ban him and tip a policeman about his house address ;)

He doesn't have the right to remain silent :D

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Thank you for posting this. Your new GT3 looks amazing, I love it! Please post pictures of the cs/gt3, I would like to see them side by side! I look forward to reading future comparisons of the GT3 vs the CS, as I am considering a 991GTS or GT3 in the near future.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As it happens, I just picked up my 991 GT-3 on Monday. My decision to switch was based on similar considerations for track use. I had ordered a 981CS with all the track oriented bells and whistles (PTV, PASM, etc.), with the intention of having a terrific track weapon. And it was, with one significant exception. As the oil temp would rise (around 260+ degrees), the PDK started to short shift. Neither of the two dealers I took it to for the problem could ever find, or would ever acknowledge a problem existed with the car. It was suggested that installing a third radiator might help, but no assurance was ever given. The more I looked into it, the less it seemed it would. Beyond that, I considered the 3.8 engine swap, the suspension upgrades, etc that it started to want / need, and I decided instead, to go for an allocation on a GT-3, and the rest is now history.I put over 10,000 miles on my 981, many of which were on the track. I loved the way I could out brake just about everyone with it (Pagid RS29's installed), and gain on some in the corners. I hated the way Corvettes could pull me in the straights but loved how I was always back on their *** in the next corner. But I just couldn't live with the short shifting. I gave it back to the dealer. BTW, as far as investments go, it was close to Enron stock ROI territory. lolI'm interested to see what the GT-4 turns out to be. May be that it'll be my way into a mid engine track car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
^ sounds like the GT3 has fallen in the right hands of someone who'd make use of its at most potential.

Best of luck... Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
As it happens, I just picked up my 991 GT-3 on Monday. My decision to switch was based on similar considerations for track use. I had ordered a 981CS with all the track oriented bells and whistles (PTV, PASM, etc.), with the intention of having a terrific track weapon. And it was, with one significant exception. As the oil temp would rise (around 260+ degrees), the PDK started to short shift. Neither of the two dealers I took it to for the problem could ever find, or would ever acknowledge a problem existed with the car. It was suggested that installing a third radiator might help, but no assurance was ever given. The more I looked into it, the less it seemed it would. Beyond that, I considered the 3.8 engine swap, the suspension upgrades, etc that it started to want / need, and I decided instead, to go for an allocation on a GT-3, and the rest is now history.I put over 10,000 miles on my 981, many of which were on the track. I loved the way I could out brake just about everyone with it (Pagid RS29's installed), and gain on some in the corners. I hated the way Corvettes could pull me in the straights but loved how I was always back on their *** in the next corner. But I just couldn't live with the short shifting. I gave it back to the dealer. BTW, as far as investments go, it was close to Enron stock ROI territory. lolI'm interested to see what the GT-4 turns out to be. May be that it'll be my way into a mid engine track car.
Interesting! Congrats on the GT3! If your 981 was exceeding 256F oil temp though, I would say something was probably wrong. When I push mine as hard as it will go, it quickly gets up to 256F oil temp and stays absolutely planted there. It will drop almost instantly if I stop pushing it, but it never goes higher than that regardless of the outside temperature. And I've never experienced any short shifting. I did, however, test drive a 981 before I bought mine and had an emergency transmission operation occur during my test drive, so it seems there are bugs in certain PDKs. But mine has never encountered a problem once, now almost 7,000 miles in.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts