Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today I found out the my base model Cayman order Change/Freeze Point is September 16 with a dealer ETA of late-December. I guess I better make sure this is exactly what I want before next Wednesday!

P3 RACING YELLOW
AZ LEATHER INTERIOR IN BLACK
P9F INFOTAINMENT PACKAGE W/SOUND PACKAGE PLUS
P9A CONVENIENCE PACKAGE
480 MANUAL TRANSMISSION
406 19” CAYMAN S WHEELS
P08 POWER SPORTS SEATS (2-WAY)
XFR INSTRUMENT DIALS IN RACING YELLOW
840 SPORTDESIGN STEERING WHEEL

P
.S. I am considering giving up the NAV, but keeping the CDR Plus radio.

Also, what are your thoughts on the Smoking Package versus the open area at the end of the shift console. I realize it's a personal opinion about the look, but I've thought the open area might be more useful.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Well it's all personal opinion/preference. It's the idea behind options.

if your question is about smoking package or not, I think the open area is useless on mine (wife put hair wrap thingie there months ago and I haven't bothered to remove it), but I wouldn't care for a lighter port there either.

19 inch wheels are a good idea for tire choice. Gets limited with 20s.

I love my vented seats on my boxster, but probably not needed for a cayman, but it's only for 700 more.

regular sports seats 2 way is a good idea. People with broad shoulders (like me) will find sports seats plus they cut into your back too much. 14 and 18 way seats don't go down low enough.

if you want to give up nav, get xenon headlights, CD-R plus/ Bose, and auto dimming mirrors.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well, today I found out the my base model Cayman order Change/Freeze Point is September 16 with a dealer ETA of late-December. I guess I better make sure this is exactly what I want before next Wednesday!
Beware that the build freeze date sometimes gets move up; this happened to me. I had a Sept 11 freeze date, got my dealer to put changes in on Sept 8 which was just in time as the order was then locked. I got screen shots of the build schedule and status when I ordered and when I made the change so there was no question it was Porsche. Anyway I got what I wanted, but don't wait to the last few days or you may be disappointed.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I like the smoking package -- extra cigarette lighter and hidden space, as opposed to an open tray that filled with clutter.

I would also dump the nav. And maybe even ditch the yellow instruments. I got them and am not in love with them. (Don't dislike them either.....)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well..........I'm sure most of the forum readers will now think I'm completely crazy, but............that's exactly what that damn configurator can do to someone! After much deliberation, soul searching, & head scratching, I actually did a complete 360 on the color for my car. Luckily, my change/freeze date was still open and my dealer was able to make the changes I requested yesterday. Now, I'm just going to sit back, have a glass of wine, & wait for my Christmas present to arrive! Here's what I finally settled on!

MAHOGANY METALLIC
LEATHER INTERIOR IN BLACK/LUXOR BEIGE
CONVENIENCE PACKAGE
MANUAL TRANSMISSION
19” BOXSTER S WHEELS
WHEEL CENTER CAPS WITH COLORED PORSCHE CREST
POWER SPORT SEATS (2-WAY)
INSTRUMENT DIALS IN LUXOR BEIGE
SPORTDESIGN STEERING WHEEL
CDR PLUS AUDIO SYSTEM

Considering the fact that I plan on keeping this car for many years, I think the more subdued color will serve me better for the long haul. I'm sure I'm going to love it! How could I not? It's a Porsche! Nothing even comes close! Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and answers to my questions.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
If it's not locked yet, I've got a few suggestions.

Firstly, you're gonna love the full leather black/luxor. It's beautiful. If you want to save a few dollars, ditch the coloured crests on the wheels. You can get them cheaper after the fact, and then you'll have two sets instead of one. You can use the old ones to mount on your garage wall or something. I'd also ditch the luxor dials. The two tone interior is black up top and beige below, and the dials just aren't necessary. Since you're ordering a base model, you'll get all black gauges which fit the interior perfectly. I don't think there's anything at all to be gained from changing them. Use that money instead to get the painted interior package and the leather center console trim. That will get rid of most of the shiny fake-chrome plastic trim and the mahogany will look GREAT painted in there with the black/luxor. You want the leather center piece so it blends in. It's just not a piece that lends itself to a contrasting colour.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Did you see the mahogany exterior in person, on a similar car (not a 911)?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good choices - it's a drivers car and that's what you will enjoy, not expensive options that do not add to the driving experience.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's exactly how I feel. I had a budget.....keep the car after discount under 60k........and, that's what I did. I added just a couple of options for looks (black/luxor leather interior, colored wheel crests & luxor gauge faces) and a couple for drivability (sportdesign steering wheel & 19" wheels). The Convenience package mostly for my wife. And, I upgraded the radio one level. All-in-all........I think I'll love it as my everyday driver which is what all of my Porsches have been. This is my fourth Porsche and all have been manuals. And, even though it's a 2.7, the engine is larger than any other Porsche I've owned. So, I'm sure the power will be more than sufficient, though I'll be missing a bit of torque. I honestly believe there are no "rights or wrongs" in anyone's configurations. Personal choice is the name of the game!

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Along the lines of my 2016. I have PDK, X73, PDLS, 14 Way/Premium as differences. But, I have Mahogany Metallic with Luxor. You can see it in my Avatar.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a gorgeous car! I'm sure I'll really love mine once it arrives. Should be late-December.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
While I appreciate the suggestions, I've decided to not change anything else and let my order stand as it is. I've made so many changes to my order over the past month, the way I've now configured it is exactly what I want. But, thanks.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
While I appreciate the suggestions, I've decided to not change anything else and let my order stand as it is. I've made so many changes to my order over the past month, the way I've now configured it is exactly what I want. But, thanks.
Can't ask for a better end point than that!! :D

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
OP... you cannot go wrong with a Racing Yellow 981! (yea, I'm biased). good choice on the sports steering wheel.. it does feel nice in hand.
D

·
Registered
737 Posts
Mahogany!!!

I'm always in favour of more brown Porsches.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts