Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to make the move to R-comps for autocross on a budget. One big problem that's been covered many times before is getting the tires there. I already own a harbor freight trailer so that factored into my plans. My trailer isn't the 4x4 version most people use. It's the 4x8 that I bought to carry my motorcycle. It doesn't weigh too much more than the smaller one so I'm not too worried.

Anyway, back to the budget. There are a couple hitch solutions available but they are $$$ and there was some stuff about each that I wasn't crazy about. I decided to make my own using off the shelf parts. There was a lot more customization with an angle grinder than I expected and it didn't come out anywhere near as pretty as I had hoped. I am very confident that it is strong enough and I spent well under $200 for everything. 90% of the install follows BillC's excellent article. Hidden Hitch - Articles

The main difference is that for a receiver I bought a standard 2" receiver for a step bumper, chopped it down and then bolted it into a hole I cut in my bumper. Below are the only 2 decent pictures I took. The worst thing is that I had some really clean cuts in my bumper cover but needed to modify it after I mounted it. Now it looks nasty. If I ever need to take it back off I will clean it up but after spending all weekend on it I was just trying to get it functional.

Summary tips:
- It was harder than I thought and nothing was the way I expected it.
- If you think you ever want a hitch, put a search on eBay for the 986 bumper shocks. I did that last fall and after a couple months I got a great pair for $25. Much cheaper than buying new.

Here are the pics.
View attachment 12595

View attachment 12596

·
Registered
264 Posts
On the R compounds on a budget. Go to Hoosiers web site, every spring they close out last seasons compounds and have cheap shipping. For autoX you want the A compound - not the R compound from Hoosier.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
porsche and budget ....in the same sentence...not

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I finally got around to digging my trailer out of the garage and setting it up to hold my tires. You'll notice my trailer is much bigger than the one most people use. I already had a 4x8 trailer that I used for my motorcycle occasionally. It's a little heavier than the 4x4 but should be ok. I weighed it fully loaded and it was just over 600 lbs. My current floor jack is a beast though and I hope to replace it with an aluminum one so I can shed some weight.

The cargo box is a Plano that I got on Amazon for about $40. All I did was screw some 2x4s to the trailer floor in front of and behind the tires and cargo box and then strapped them down. They are very secure.
View attachment 12881

View attachment 12882

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
You need to get a photo of this setup in front of a mobile home with a satellite dish :cheers:

Just kidding. A lot of us would be happy to have that behind us after encountering a flat at the track.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
You can convert that trailer to a 4x4 very easily; just do one section without the tilt and move the axle mounting point.
Here's some pics of my stuff. Don't have one of tire trailer on CS. Used this trailer on 3 cars so far; Boxster S, RX-8, Cayman S.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can convert that trailer to a 4x4 very easily; just do one section without the tilt and move the axle mounting point.
That's not a bad thought but I may still use it for my motorcycle or tractor occasionally. Those trailers are so cheap that I'd probably just buy a 4x4 one also if I thought mine was too much. The little bit extra doesn't seem to be an issue though. I like the way you have your tires sunk in between the rails. I wanted to do that but didn't want to rip up my decking.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What's wrong with driving the car to the auto-x spot on your Rs? There won't be much wear, and they're supposed to be street legal. I did that for a year on my 968.
I think some of the R tires would get by doing this but I'd be afraid to drive A6s or V710s far on the street. Besides the extra wear and heat cycles they have virtually no tread and would be scary in the rain. I have to drive about 30 miles each way to the event and think that would add up pretty quickly in wear.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I drove my RSA from Cincinnati to Road Atlanta, Mid-Ohio and Putnam Park on Hoosiers. Never had a problem except for rain. On one Putnam trip I had to slow down to 30 MPH on I74, it was interesting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.