Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. I've had my 2005 Boxster S since May of 2005. My clutch lasted 148,000 miles and now I believe the throw-out bearing is dying as the pedal is vibrating and engagement feels all lumpy when I press in the clutch.

I'm going to say I don't mind so much. 148,000 miles out of a clutch in a sports car? I've never experienced that before. Anyone that remembers me from like 2006 may recall that I also had my transmission die on me twice within the first 20,000 miles--kept popping out of second gear horribly and making grinding sounds when it did. Porsche accused me of abusing the car and said that if it happened again, they'd have to send it back to Germany for inspection before they'd be willing to pay for a third replacement. I responded by trying to lemon law the car because of the transmission problems and goofy electrical issues that were prevalent on the original 987S. Got an extended warranty and PCM out of them to convince me to stop.

Now, over the long term, I guess I've showed them even further. I'm still on that last transmission they put in, and when they last changed the IMS around 120,000 miles (I think, it was quite a few years ago), my clutch life was showing at 50%, so I had them slap it back in and send me on my way.

A local shop is going to change out the flywheel and clutch for $2500. The transmission is admittedly not perfect anymore though--it has been popping out of 2nd gear here and there, but not regularly enough for me to feel like rebuilding or replacing the transmission yet, which looks like a $5000 cost, so I'm not too keen on that idea. It's not the same kind of pop-out I experienced back in 2006, where it would pop out and grind like crazy. Now it just seems like the 2nd gear synchro is a little worn out and I'm not going fully into gear when I think I am. It pops out and I'll be in neutral. It might save $1000 labor if I do it now, but I've already spent $2800 replacing my worn-out PASM suspension this year, so I think I'll spread out the pain a little further. The car hasn't been my daily driver since 2013 so I think I can wait a few more years before worrying about it.

Can anyone think of anything else I may want to consider doing while I have the tranny out though?

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,739 Posts
Replace the Rear Main Seal, have you thought about replacing your shifter cables? It would be worth a try to fix the slippage.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to have them take a look at the cable/cable ends. Last time I had the car there for the new shocks, they thought that my car actually shifted pretty good and also didn't see a reason to rebuild the transmission yet.

I believe the RMS and IMS were both replaced within the last 50,000 miles, but I'll have to check my service records--thanks for the advice, as that does seem to be a no-brainer at this point.

I'm also eyeing those Function First products a bit too. I personally feel like the shifter is a bit sloppier than it used to be, even if it still is functional.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Congrats on (nearly) hitting the 150K mark. I got my 987 to 135K before deciding to sell. Kept getting that inkling that I was a trip to the grocery store away from having my transmission or engine (read: IMS) go out on me and sold it. Good luck on the repairs!

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,739 Posts
I'm going to have them take a look at the cable/cable ends. Last time I had the car there for the new shocks, they thought that my car actually shifted pretty good and also didn't see a reason to rebuild the transmission yet.

I believe the RMS and IMS were both replaced within the last 50,000 miles, but I'll have to check my service records--thanks for the advice, as that does seem to be a no-brainer at this point.

I'm also eyeing those Function First products a bit too. I personally feel like the shifter is a bit sloppier than it used to be, even if it still is functional.
The RMS costs less than $5, but since you replaced it recently it might not need to be replaced again. My shifter was very sloppy until I replaced it with the OEM Short Shifter. One of the best mods I made on the car.

·
Chesapeake Region Member
217 Posts
Title says it all. I've had my 2005 Boxster S since May of 2005. My clutch lasted 148,000 miles and now I believe the throw-out bearing is dying as the pedal is vibrating and engagement feels all lumpy when I press in the clutch.

I'm going to say I don't mind so much. 148,000 miles out of a clutch in a sports car? I've never experienced that before. Anyone that remembers me from like 2006 may recall that I also had my transmission die on me twice within the first 20,000 miles--kept popping out of second gear horribly and making grinding sounds when it did. Porsche accused me of abusing the car and said that if it happened again, they'd have to send it back to Germany for inspection before they'd be willing to pay for a third replacement. I responded by trying to lemon law the car because of the transmission problems and goofy electrical issues that were prevalent on the original 987S. Got an extended warranty and PCM out of them to convince me to stop.

Now, over the long term, I guess I've showed them even further. I'm still on that last transmission they put in, and when they last changed the IMS around 120,000 miles (I think, it was quite a few years ago), my clutch life was showing at 50%, so I had them slap it back in and send me on my way.

A local shop is going to change out the flywheel and clutch for $2500. The transmission is admittedly not perfect anymore though--it has been popping out of 2nd gear here and there, but not regularly enough for me to feel like rebuilding or replacing the transmission yet, which looks like a $5000 cost, so I'm not too keen on that idea. It's not the same kind of pop-out I experienced back in 2006, where it would pop out and grind like crazy. Now it just seems like the 2nd gear synchro is a little worn out and I'm not going fully into gear when I think I am. It pops out and I'll be in neutral. It might save $1000 labor if I do it now, but I've already spent $2800 replacing my worn-out PASM suspension this year, so I think I'll spread out the pain a little further. The car hasn't been my daily driver since 2013 so I think I can wait a few more years before worrying about it.

Can anyone think of anything else I may want to consider doing while I have the tranny out though?
Can't recommend anything but just wondering how many, if any, water pumps have you replaced?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The RMS costs less than $5, but since you replaced it recently it might not need to be replaced again. My shifter was very sloppy until I replaced it with the OEM Short Shifter. One of the best mods I made on the car.
I'm considering the Function First Shift Right Solution versus the shifter cable ends that are being talked up in a thread here. My cables snapped once a long time ago--it was a very weird experience to just have the shifter flopping about loose in the car. That was the first thing I had to have fixed after the extended warranty ran out at 100,000 miles. The shifter assembly has never been replaced though and I imagine it's all loose as heck in there.

I didn't know the RMS is that cheap. No wonder they replaced it with revised versions like five times over the course of my warranty period.

Congrats on (nearly) hitting the 150K mark. I got my 987 to 135K before deciding to sell. Kept getting that inkling that I was a trip to the grocery store away from having my transmission or engine (read: IMS) go out on me and sold it. Good luck on the repairs!
This is why I recently had a thread here asking about whether I should sell it and buy a newer one with lower mileage. With the forum's help, I was able to convince myself that I should just keep the car as the engine will probably last quite a bit longer. This car will have less than 5000 miles a year from here on out so I might as well drive it into the ground, seeing as how it's not even worth $20,000 now. Of course I say that, but here I am shoving $5500 into it this year in refurbishments...

Can't recommend anything but just wondering how many, if any, water pumps have you replaced?
Y'know, I don't recall if the water pump has ever been replaced, sorry. Based on what I hear here though, I assume it would have to have been replaced before. I"m going to dig through my service records before I get the clutch changed out, and I'll report back to see what I find. All maintenance has been performed at factory-specified intervals*, but the water pump is not one of those service items, from what I'm reading. I've never been stuck by the side of the road because of it, though. Thanks for reminding me.

*Well, I didn't stick to 20,000 miles between oil changes though. Still can't believe Porsche tried to get away with that BS in 2005. I doubled the interval to 10,000 miles right from the start.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Apparently my dealership was more than happy to charge PCNA for the opportunity. :)
It might be a weird thought, but PCNA might actually be gulity of strategic thinking. There may be some "super secret" (just kidding) policy that, for cars under warranty, you replace the RMS anytime the transmission is out. Their cost for the seal and probably less than 20 minutes of tech time would save them the greater cost of replacing when leaking. This would particularly be true in view of the justifiable beating they have taken on the RMS/IMS issues. But then again....strategic thinking....NAH!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It might be a weird thought, but PCNA might actually be gulity of strategic thinking. There may be some "super secret" (just kidding) policy that, for cars under warranty, you replace the RMS anytime the transmission is out. Their cost for the seal and probably less than 20 minutes of tech time would save them the greater cost of replacing when leaking. This would particularly be true in view of the justifiable beating they have taken on the RMS/IMS issues. But then again....strategic thinking....NAH!
True, although in my case, they did it multiple times when the transmission wasn't intended to be out for any other work--they just seemed to have it as a TSB/Recall type activity.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I've done the Numeric shirt shift kit (fantastic mod!) and have had the shifter cables changed after busting one on the track. My clutch is just now starting to slip after 77K HARD miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm fairly certain my clutch is ~90k old now, I've only owned the car 5 months, so can't be certain. It's generally fine. A slight squeak when depressing the pedal, and occasionally on a quick launch it will slip as it goes into 2nd. I think I'll get it changed just to be nice at the next service (Jan/Feb).

What are the symptoms of needing to do the cables? Does it tend to be a failure, or do things get a bit sloppy first?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm fairly certain my clutch is ~90k old now, I've only owned the car 5 months, so can't be certain. It's generally fine. A slight squeak when depressing the pedal, and occasionally on a quick launch it will slip as it goes into 2nd. I think I'll get it changed just to be nice at the next service (Jan/Feb).

What are the symptoms of needing to do the cables? Does it tend to be a failure, or do things get a bit sloppy first?
Mine never gave me any indication before they popped. Things are a little sloppy now on my car, but there are so many things that will wear over time that it's hard to really say that my cables are worn, or are the only cause of any slop I may be feeling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine never gave me any indication before they popped. Things are a little sloppy now on my car, but there are so many things that will wear over time that it's hard to really say that my cables are worn, or are the only cause of any slop I may be feeling.
That's good to know, something to add to the preventative maintenance list.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Mine needed to be replaced at 144K.. I made it to 146,000 before replacing it..

at 151,000 now and hoping to make it to 200,000

1 - 16 of 16 Posts