Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys
I am in a situation that I am not liking very much, I'll explain .....

We have two cars , one is getting traded but the new one will not be ready until April, the one we are trading has just suffered a pretty serious sounding mechanical problem, so much so that the next time I drive it will be to the dealers in April to trade it ( getting virtually scrap value on it as a trade in ).

Which means that my better half needs to use the Croc daily to get the shopping , get to work , visit her friends , basically anything goes. She likes the car a lot but does not appreciate the trashing she is giving it driving it 500 yards to the supermarket for the shopping , never mind the chances of the doors or wheel arches getting dinged and the fact that it gets used when the roads have just been salted or in the snow etc etc etc.

I know I'm being irrational and that it's a car but I can't help it, every day when it comes home it is a sorry looking sight covered in road salt / muck etc .

Roll on April.

Should I be seeking counseling :helpme:

·
Borlafide member of Northeast Group
789 Posts
I use my croc for all those things and more and never worry about that stuff...when it comes down to it, it's just a car...a nice car but still just a car that gets you from point a to b hopefully in not that straight of line. I really do take care of her as best I can because...well because she's a porsche...my first. I just know Life itself is more valuable and I appreciate it that much more with the cayman in my life but she's still just a car.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
500 yards to the shopping center? I bought a bicycle with saddle bags and a front basket, it holds three full sized bags of groceries and the car stays in it's parking spot at home and I don't waste gasoline for such a short trip. I'm 1.5 miles from the market. Get her a bike.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
We live close to the grocery, bank, restaurants and walk to all of them. It sometimes takes a couple of trips to get everything home but that is just exercise.

Short trips are the hardest miles on the car. You end up with condensate in the oil and exhaust system. Put a few less miles on your car and improve your health. I know, easy for us to say.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Well, once a car gets put on daily driver duty, you might as well just stop worrying about dents, dings and scrapes.

I take care of my DD Honda, all regular maintenance on schedule, regular washes, interior vacuuming, shampoo, etc. I even park on the ends of rows or out at the end of lots. But alas, I bet I have over 30 scratches in the paint, at least 5 door dings and the front bumper feels like sand paper. For the first year, it drove me nuts; I tried keeping up with it. Spent a fortune, and in the end, its still ruined IMO, but people do still comment that I keep my car in extremely good condition.

My CS is only for sport, and the occasional friday drive to work with good weather, I haven't noticed single ding or scratch that wasn't there when I bought the car.

I don't think you're being unreasonable. I'd prolly have already flipped out, and caught hell for it. If you dont want those things to happen to your Cayman, then don't let anyone use it for those purposes. I don't know how you get around it, given your circumstances, but I'd think of one fast. Or, once this is over, you should just plan on having it into the body shop for some repairs and a full respray.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
I use mine as a DD year round including through snow. It went an entire month with the snow dirt on it until I could get it washed. It's will survive.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
You don't need counseling. I'd feel the same way under those circumstances. Maybe I need counseling. Can you buy a cheap beater for your wife to use as a DD until you can get something better?

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Is there a rent-a-wreck type of establishment near you? You could get your wife a rental dd till Apr. My cayman is really for weekend/track use and I'd rather get a beater for dd. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
P.S. Sometimes high schools will have a program to which people donate beat up cars (which can be written off at tax time) and the students will put them back in running condition. A high school in my town has such a program, and you can buy a reliable DD from the program for $1000 to $2000. Might be worth looking in to. Normally, the cars don't look too bad when they finish with them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Cars are simply tools to help us accomplish tasks and chores that require travel.

If you are letting your favorite Porsche sit in the garage to "protect it" then that defeats the purpose of the Porsche.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
You don't need counseling. I'd feel the same way under those circumstances. Maybe I need counseling. Can you buy a cheap beater for your wife to use as a DD until you can get something better?
I'd feel the same but envy the attitude of those who let go and relax with the dents etc. If you feel stressed over the condition I would try the cheap beater solution and you could probably sell it for close to what you pay for it in a couple of months. You could also have a heart to heart with your wife about parking carefully. Safe spots, end spots, far out in the lots, who you park next to, etc., etc. If neither of those work for you I guess you just have to adopt the "relax and let go" attitude. Good luck!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I always keep my car immaculate, easily done when I lived on the west coast, and nearly impossible to do on the east coast.

So like several others, I now drive a beater in the Winter. Maybe a beater mobile for her is the solution?

Just factoring in the cost to buy a set of all weather tires, and the hassle of swapping them on the CS, plus re-paint costs (my state LOVES using gravel in winter that chews up paint), I figure it almost pays for itself.

Plus the beater has 4-wheel drive, better gas mileage, and there is the peace of mind factor when I have to drive into the city (where car theft and trashing remains a big problem).

I have trouble seeing my CS as "just a car" ;) But then I really enjoy my car, keeping it clean, looking new, etc. I always have. The beater on the other had is "just a car" and the more door dings the better.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Guys

We have two cars , one is getting traded but the new one will not be ready until April, the one we are trading has just suffered a pretty serious sounding mechanical problem, so much so that the next time I drive it will be to the dealers in April to trade it ( getting virtually scrap value on it as a trade in ).

Which means that my better half needs to use the Croc daily to get the shopping , get to work , visit her friends , basically anything goes. She likes the car a lot but does not appreciate the trashing she is giving it driving it 500 yards to the supermarket for the shopping , never mind the chances of the doors or wheel arches getting dinged and the fact that it gets used when the roads have just been salted or in the snow etc etc etc.

I know I'm being irrational and that it's a car but I can't help it, every day when it comes home it is a sorry looking sight covered in road salt / muck etc .

Roll on April.

I suppose I'm a fine one to talk since my car is pretty much a garage queen, but I would not worry. You are only dealing with a month or so. The car is robust and will clean up well with regard to the road salt. Ask your S/O to park away from other cars and take the long road home at the end of the day to heat the oil and burn off the condensation. Have it detailed in the Spring and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I too don't view my CS as just a car. I enjoy keeping it in great shape. While there are those who don't fret such things, there is nothing wrong with taking pride in ownership of a fine car. To each his own. One of the variables that have been positively correlated with living a long life is having something, whatever it might be, that you are passionate about. Nothing wrong with being passionate about cars.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I don't view mine as "just a car", but I do view it as "just a special car worthy of extra care". I freak out as much as the next guy if it gets a scratch or ding. Even so I drive mine nearly daily in all weather except snow. I also spend excessive hours to keep it looking good, trust me I catch grief from the wife at times thinking I'd rather spend time with the car than her.

Day in day out I'm in a better mood if I've driven my CS, honestly life is too short to just keep it immaculate in my garage, been there done that in my first year of ownership. Made the switch to DD and am enjoying the car more than I ever have. I know some enjoy the garage queen lifestyle, its just not for me with this car. If I had a late '60s early '70s model I would have no qualms about keeping it in the garage looking perfect, but as for my CS, its a modern sports car meant to be driven like theres no tomorrow.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Just drive it... I used my CS as a DD during snow/rain in DC for years, no worries and the car will survive, just remember what type of tire you have on (probably summer) and drive accordingly in harsh weather.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I live in the South and I still have a beater--if you drive on the Interstate behind dump trucks hauling gravel, bang through potholes, park in tight lots, etc., your car will get trashed. I am sorry but I want my Porsche (or other sports car) to look good....

What kind of beater? I have and recommend a 2003 (or thereabouts) Buick LeSabre. I have put 80K on it (bought it for $10,000 when it had 20K on the clock) and it has been great--reliable, cheap to own and gets about 26 mpg on regular.

Now, since it is a Buick, I get roundly teased for owning it. That is where carrying pictures of my Porsche on my I-phone comes in helpful. One look at the silver Cayman and that smug sense of superiority over me and my mighty Buick are usually gone....;)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Putting a few extra miles on it and some salt/grime for a couple of months isn't going to hurt. I wouldn't drive it 500 yards to the grocery store for fear of door dings and run away carts though.

You can't protect it completely but you can minimize the chance of it getting damaged with minimal impact to your life. For example, I always park near curbs, handicapped spots or at the top of parking decks. It usually adds about 20-30 seconds to everything I do when I park BUT I figure it reduced the number of door dings I get by about 90%.

I live 1/4 mile from the grocery store. I walk. If I know I'm going into town where everything has to be valet parked or I have to use some crowded off-street parking then I try to hitch a ride with friends or co-workers.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I live in the South and I still have a beater--if you drive on the Interstate behind dump trucks hauling gravel, bang through potholes, park in tight lots, etc., your car will get trashed. I am sorry but I want my Porsche (or other sports car) to look good....

What kind of beater? I have and recommend a 2003 (or thereabouts) Buick LeSabre. I have put 80K on it (bought it for $10,000 when it had 20K on the clock) and it has been great--reliable, cheap to own and gets about 26 mpg on regular.

Now, since it is a Buick, I get roundly teased for owning it. That is where carrying pictures of my Porsche on my I-phone comes in helpful. One look at the silver Cayman and that smug sense of superiority over me and my mighty Buick are usually gone....;)
My DD is a 1995 Ford Taurus that we bought as the family car when new. It now has close to 90,000 miles on it, and drives like new although it
has a few dings and dents now. It has been a very reliable car. The only major expense was the replacement of the radiator which perplexes me because normally a radiator doesn't go so soon. Maybe my mechanic just needed a little extra money and that is what he came up with. Anyway, I hope my CS prooves to be as reliable 11 years from now. I'm sure it will. ;)

·
Northeast Caymans
478 Posts
Guys

Roll on April.

If I were you I would rent a car until her new car is ready! My wife (aka 'master of automobile disaster') is not even allowed to look at my cayman!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts