Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! First post and would appreciate your thoughts and comments -

I'm currently having an internal debate between buying a new Macan S or a low mileage '13/'14 Boxster S in the $60K price range. Either vehicle will be my daily driver here in MA (only 2 cars in my household for the wife and me, will be trading in my MK6 GTI). The Macan will no doubt be more practical and suitable to NE winters. However, my research on Planet-9 and various other forums also showed plenty of buyers who daily drive their Boxster with dedicated snow tires throughout the winter months. And my thinking is if I'm going to get myself a Porsche I might as well get the one with the most balance chassis to enjoy the sublime driving experience a Porsche can provide ;).

One of my concerns is when the snow gets above 4" deep and our other vehicle is a FWD 4-dr sedan. That's when the higher ground clearance of the Macan will come in handy. But I live 15 miles from downtown Boston so the streets in my area are normally plowed in a timely fashion (unless in blizzard condition) so it's not a dealbreaker for me.

My other, bigger concern would be the fact that my car will be parked outside uncovered (no garage at the house unfortunately). How does the soft top on the Boxster cope with the harsh winter months with snow/ice on top? Am I setting myself up for failure and will I regret my decision right away if I picked the Boxster instead of the Macan?

I realize Porsche engineers all of their vehicles to withstand all sorts of abuse in the most harsh environments. But I'm a little hesitant to make such a significant purchase without doing my due diligence. I'm sure a number of members here (who live in the snow belt regions) have gone through the same dilemma and thought process. What would your advice and recommendation be?

It's such a difficult decision - heart says Boxster, head says Macan. I know, first world problem, isn't it?!:taunt: Anyways, looking forward to everyone's comments!

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Always follow the heart ...

edit. I am going to elaborate. I know your area of the country. Millions upon millions of people have owned ragtops in MA long before you were probably born. I would never worry about that, and they weren't hidden away in a garage. What about the thousands upon thousands of 911 Cabrios that exist in the snow belt winter?

I know all about the arguments upon those that turn their cars into garage queens for the winter and got no issue with that. But just as often, many get some snow tires and deal with it. Living in MA, you are in the snowbelt and more than likely people know how to drive in the snow. It's not like the border states. Read this Porsche Everyday? We slog a Boxster on snowy roads - Boston Overdrive - Boston.com

Now I would not push it until the roads are plowed but you got another car for the really bad days.

I also know the CUV folks will tell you the Macan S is a sports car, blah blah blah

Guess again. Go drive a boxster or Cayman, then drive that Macan and see if you believe it. Macans are great cars for what they do, but in no way, no how are they are sports cars. Just ask yourself one thing ...

Whatever you decide, say in two years, will you regret your decision?

good luck.

(and I do know what I am talking about having driven many, many winters in the snowbelt, in two seat sports cars, back in the day when all cars were RWD and you just threw some snow tires in the rears, some sand in the trunk, a shovel, and didn't worry about all this AWD stuff. Knowing you had a second car for the bad days, makes all the difference.).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Always follow the heart ...

It's not like the border states. Read this Porsche Everyday? We slog a Boxster on snowy roads - Boston Overdrive - Boston.com

Guess again. Go drive a boxster or Cayman, then drive that Macan and see if you believe it. Macans are great cars for what they do, but in no way, no how are they are sports cars. Just ask yourself one thing ...

Whatever you decide, say in two years, will you regret your decision?
Thanks a lot for the thoughtful comments, Chow, I really appreciate it! I've come across that same article on Boston.com yesterday and enjoyed reading it. Confidence inspiring for sure!

I originally had my mind dead set on the Macan S ever since it's been announced. And I've literally been configuring my "dream build" for the past 12 months using the Porsche Configurator. I even went as far as putting my $1000 deposit down a week ago at my local Porsche dealership (no allocations are available yet so I still have plenty of time to cancel the order ;)).

But I still remembered vividly the track experience I've had in a 981 Cayman S back in April last year! I also drove an R8 V10 Plus right after and came out preferring the CS for its overall nimbleness, steering response, and balance.

Your comment about "no regrets" resonates with me the most. This will be a vehicle I'm planning to keep for a while. I've car hopped 9 times in the past 7 years. It's definitely a disease (an expensive one at that) and I think this would be the last vehicle purchase my wife will allow (for the next 5-8 yrs) before I get the divorce letter in the mail. So "getting it right" this time around is paramount.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Your comment about "no regrets" resonates with me the most. This will be a vehicle I'm planning to keep for a while. I've car hopped 9 times in the past 7 years. It's definitely a disease ...
I understand that disease. To often people treat cars as disposable toasters. I doubt you will treat a Boxster as disposable. And you got to be taking a bath in depreciation losses. Boxsters should be available for good discounts this time of year. Nobody wants to buy a ragtop in January.

I got nothing against Macans. They are great little CUVs. But if you need rear cargo space, they are small. And I also know there are a lot of first year problems like false alarms, door alignment issues, etc but these will all be fixed over time. I would buy a Macan in a heartbeat if I needed one, but not at the expense of a Boxster.

I would just say a few things further.

1. Don't worry about the winter. I know that winter and know the people there drive much, much better in the snow than farther south. Just get some good snow tires and drive carefully. Do not use summer tires. Don't even think about it and never, never think about all-season tires in the snow belt.

2. If you let the car sit outside in single digits numbers for three or more days, without being driven, consider getting a battery maintainer. Near zero temps in a Porsche will kill your battery faster than you think.

3. Understand the cost of maintenance and tires costs.

4. and last, and probably most important, a Boxster is a true sports car. It will sound and feel like one all the time. If you are really a SUV type person, then driving one every day might get old. There are people here who regret buying a sports car. It happens.

Know your soul ... and smile :drivingskid:

And don't let Macan owners tell you they are driving an AWD Cayman or Boxster with 4 doors - not even close.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
While I have lived in the south since about 1990 (Atlanta area, Birmingham and Florida) I grew up in Connecticut. If I put on my remembering back to that time, I rarely bought practical by most standards and bought what I really wanted to drive. So, for me the Macan and Boxster are somewhat apples and oranges. If it were me making the decision, it is Boxster all the way and just outfit it for proper winter driving. You asked for input, that is mine for what it is worth. By the way, I drove a 68 Mustang (heavily modified), Pontiac Firebird 400ci with 4 speed, 1979 Mercury Caprii with the 2.8L V6, rear drive and the 390MM special Micehlin rally wheels and tires (NOT the best snow tires...).

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I still have my VW golf TDI and can see the Macan appeal. Might have gotten one myself if the had the diesel out, but after getting a convertible mid engine sports car, there's no going back to that. :)

As you already probably know Macan is in really high demand and hard to get. Probably will be harder to get a good price.

Winter is a good time to buy a Boxster and maybe you can even get a 20% discounted new 2014 model year that still hasn't sold. We actually had some posts here dealers adverting such deals.

Regarding Boxster and parked outside in snow conditions...It will age faster and its hard to say how long it will last, but keep in mind the Boxster is a German car made to withstand their hard winters. Don't think ice, snow, or rain does much harm. If anything, UV from the sun is the worst. Of course, there shouldn't salt sitting on a car for long and I'd wash that off. There are products (like Raggtop) you can apply to protect it that work really well. Warranty will cover it for 4 years, so expect at least 5. I have seen plenty of 1996 and older Boxsters with original top and it looks fine, no idea how they park or whether it has been replaced in the past. You can consider putting on a car cover or draping something over the top when its parked outside. The top is really heavy duty and personally i'd be more concerned with the mechanical parts of opening/closing it breaking before the actual material.

I have driven mine top down when its only 60+ warmer. If its like -50, it gets kinda cold at higher speeds...doable with the heat on and heated seats/ steering wheel, but get cold. When its 100+ out, top down can be kinda hot...vented seats are a must have for this IMO. Windy days can make it loud top down and push the car around a bit.

Keep in mind some people will buy a Boxster and discover they don't care much for top down driving in cities and will want a Cayman. Top up in the Boxster its near no compromise from a hardtop non-convertible, so IMO, worse case if I drove with the top up a lot, I wouldn't mind. Due to design, Cayman has more engine/ exhaust noise in the cabin, but IMO a Boxster top down is completely superior experience in regards to sound.

You will want a dedicated set of winter wheels or use winter tires during the winter. Since they plow/ salt your roads, you might even be fine with summer tires, but I wouldn't recommend that since you're in MA (never know when you might have to drive on snow). I've had several cars/trucks in the past and found that 4WD (better than AWD) isn't really needed with the right tires and mild winter conditions, unless you are literally going to go drive around on 4 inch ice/snow (hopefully no roads are not maintained this poorly, but it does happen in rural areas). I'd take a set of winter tires (maybe with chains) with 2WD over AWD and summer/all season tires any day. That said, I would never drive my Boxster in 4 inch show regardless of tires...I'd drive one of my other cars at that point or not drive at all.

I'd say go try driving each and pick the one you 'feel.' When I was shopping, it only took 1 drive with Boxster to like it, while the other cars were more about 'trying to like.'

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Know your soul ... and smile :drivingskid:

And don't let Macan owners tell you they are driving an AWD Cayman or Boxster with 4 doors - not even close.
Thank you for the comments and pointers.

Yes, if I do end up getting the Boxster I will be buying a set of dedicated winter wheels/tires for sure. Was looking on TR for a set of 18" BBS SR's that should work: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...lse&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Brand

Pirelli Sottozero seems to be the only winter tires available for those wheel sizes, however.

I do plan on driving it everyday (maybe take the long way to work even) but because I go on business trips occasionally and don't expect the wife to drive it while I'm gone, I will look into getting a trickle charger for the battery.

I've had a couple CUV's (Mazda CX-5 and MB GLK) in the past couple years and while I enjoyed the higher seating position and utility they offer, I just couldn't live with the compromise in the handling department. And that's what ultimately pushed me towards the GTI which I currently drive now. It's really a good all-arounder the GTI, especially with a tune and sway bar upgrade. But I'm ready to "up the ante" and make the leap into the P-World!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

As you already probably know Macan is in really high demand and hard to get. Probably will be harder to get a good price.

Winter is a good time to buy a Boxster and maybe you can even get a 20% discounted new 2014 model year that still hasn't sold. We actually had some posts here dealers adverting such deals.

Keep in mind some people will buy a Boxster and discover they don't care much for top down driving in cities and will want a Cayman. Top up in the Boxster its near no compromise from a hardtop non-convertible, so IMO, worse case if I drove with the top up a lot, I wouldn't mind. Due to design, Cayman has more engine/ exhaust noise in the cabin, but IMO a Boxster top down is completely superior experience in regards to sound.

I'd say go try driving each and pick the one you 'feel.' When I was shopping, it only took 1 drive with Boxster to like it, while the other cars were more about 'trying to like.'
Correct, there is absolutely NO discount offered by my local dealerships for the Macan. I did, however, found a NJ dealer who's willing to give me 5% discount, but wouldn't lock in a trade-in value higher than $15k for my GTI. I brought the GTI to a Carmax just last month and was offered $20k, so a $5k drop in less than 6 months is definitely not acceptable to me. The local dealer I ended up placing a deposit with offered to lock in a $19k trade-in. It will end up being a wash so there is no incentive for me to buy out of state. I was told to expect delivery sometime in May/June.

I have the exact same reasoning for going with the Boxster vs the Cayman as it gives me the flexibility to drop the roof when I can/want to. What I lose in body rigidity will be more than compensated by the pleasure I will get with top-down motoring. And I doubt I'd feel the difference unless I take it to the track and drive it 9~10/10th.

I'm hoping for the same in regards to a test drive in the Boxster S - I'm sure I will be swayed in the "right" direction instantly!;)

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Yes, if I do end up getting the Boxster I will be buying a set of dedicated winter wheels/tires for sure. Was looking on TR for a set of 18" BBS SR's that should work: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...lse&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Brand

Pirelli Sottozero seems to be the only winter tires available for those wheel sizes, however.
BBS makes good wheels. Some people get OZ. You can also buy Porsche tequipment winter wheel sets. Don't get dissuaded by the prices because your dealer can have discounts.

You only found one tire because you are entering the world of n-spec tires and downsize to far. You can get 19" snows. Michelin Alpins are n-spec snow tires.

BTW, I know your average winter HIGH temperature from Dec until March is not more than about 40. Do NOT use summer tires on those months. You will regret it. I know the black ice and how sloppy Boston streets can be.

good luck and have fun looking around.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I would opt for the much more practical Macan S if I lived where you do and planned to drive it 12 months of the year. Save the sports car for when you get the opportunity to live in a warmer place or for when you can justify an extra car. It is easy for me to say this because I have a Cayman S in the garage all Winter. When I was younger and not as practical I owned a 911 SC (my only car) in Atlanta and I loved it for many reasons, but one of them was not its versatility.

The 981's are more useable everyday cars than the 911SC, but I would opt for the Macan S based on my experiences.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
I think the Macan is the car you really need to buy.

Here's my reasoning, without any sarcasm: I'd never get it as a daily driver, because it's a full size SUV, that is not in any way a sports car. The fact that you dreamed about it and put a deposit on it... And only put 981 in equation last moment - makes it pretty clear you want a Macan. Because if you'd want a Boxster - you wouldn't be posting here this question. You'd knew it and that would be the end of discussion :) Macan and Boxster are so different - you can't seriously be considering if you want one or another for DD. If you'd want the Boxster - you'd knew it, otherwise - you want a Macan.

Softop and RWD drive can be fine in winter, if your roads are plowed. You are not the first one... To tell the truth I was a little scared getting my first ever convertible - 981. Because I never owned one before I was worried about million things - temps, noise, durabiltiy, reliability... Now - I'll never go back, really.

Reactions: chows4us

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
It took twice the amount of snow (on top of the barrier) with Michelin Alpine winter tires before my wife told me to turn around :D. You will end up using the middle area as a snow plow though :).

While I would not take it skiing, I would be more concerned about the other drivers.

The roof faired well, but you should not operate it in near freezing and below freezing temperatures according to the manual.

And just so you see why a convertible is fun in the snow, watch closely how he drive the Boxster in this video

(love the racing yellow GTS :D)

and this one (driving open!)

And one picture from when they were testing the 981:

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Here's my reasoning, without any sarcasm: I'd never get it as a daily driver, because it's a full size SUV, that is not in any way a sports car. The fact that you dreamed about it and put a deposit on it... And only put 981 in equation last moment - makes it pretty clear you want a Macan. Because if you'd want a Boxster - you wouldn't be posting here this question.
The Macan is a compact CUV. A Cayenne is a full sized SUV - 4 x 4, but that isn't important here.

What you said is right and exactly why I said Know your soul.

If you are a sports car person, the weather doesn't matter and having lived through many, many winters up near the OP, back when there weren't fancy nannies and nobody bought four snow tires, its really no big deal. In the border states, it is a big deal because people forget how to drive in snow but when you got snow most of the winter, you do. In the border states, you worry about every one else. But when you are born in the snow belt and that is where you learn to drive, its no big deal.

But if the OP is not a sports car person at heart, and many people on this forum, SINCE ITS INCEPTION, have bought Caymans only to find out it was the wrong car for them. They expected more "luxury" coming from MB or their expectations of what a sports car was were totally different from reality. Its happening now as people are complaining about "rough rides" and it will happen forever as some people have no idea what they are buying.

It's not the weather, its what in your soul. If you are truly a sports car person, the weather don't mean much. But if you have any question at all, then a sedan or CUV is probably a better choice.

I'll say it again - there have been millions of ragtops that survive Boston winters. Boston is a university town with many, many colleges. Poor college kids will buy older ragtops and drive them year round. It's really no big deal. It's just part of life.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the Macan is the car you really need to buy.

Here's my reasoning, without any sarcasm: I'd never get it as a daily driver, because it's a full size SUV, that is not in any way a sports car. The fact that you dreamed about it and put a deposit on it... And only put 981 in equation last moment - makes it pretty clear you want a Macan. Because if you'd want a Boxster - you wouldn't be posting here this question. You'd knew it and that would be the end of discussion :) Macan and Boxster are so different - you can't seriously be considering if you want one or another for DD. If you'd want the Boxster - you'd knew it, otherwise - you want a Macan.

Softop and RWD drive can be fine in winter, if your roads are plowed. You are not the first one... To tell the truth I was a little scared getting my first ever convertible - 981. Because I never owned one before I was worried about million things - temps, noise, durabiltiy, reliability... Now - I'll never go back, really.
To be honest the 981 never made it on my shopping list because I had done absolutely no viability study on it at all prior to this past week.

And, in S form, a brand new 981 would be out of my price range. I had been strictly buying/leasing new cars for the past 7 years and have never considered getting a (lightly) used vehicle to take advantage of having somebody else taking care of the initial depreciation. But my past vehicle purchases have not crested the $45K mark either (and all have been mass market makes), which is not the case this time around so I'd have to re-evaluate my priorities.

Having the wife's blessing (albeit after a lengthy discussion) also fueled this dilemma. :hilarious:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hi Everyone! First post and would appreciate your thoughts and comments -

I'm currently having an internal debate between buying a new Macan S or a low mileage '13/'14 Boxster S in the $60K price range. Either vehicle will be my daily driver here in MA (only 2 cars in my household for the wife and me, will be trading in my MK6 GTI). The Macan will no doubt be more practical and suitable to NE winters. However, my research on Planet-9 and various other forums also showed plenty of buyers who daily drive their Boxster with dedicated snow tires throughout the winter months. And my thinking is if I'm going to get myself a Porsche I might as well get the one with the most balance chassis to enjoy the sublime driving experience a Porsche can provide ;).

One of my concerns is when the snow gets above 4" deep and our other vehicle is a FWD 4-dr sedan. That's when the higher ground clearance of the Macan will come in handy. But I live 15 miles from downtown Boston so the streets in my area are normally plowed in a timely fashion (unless in blizzard condition) so it's not a dealbreaker for me.

My other, bigger concern would be the fact that my car will be parked outside uncovered (no garage at the house unfortunately). How does the soft top on the Boxster cope with the harsh winter months with snow/ice on top? Am I setting myself up for failure and will I regret my decision right away if I picked the Boxster instead of the Macan?

I realize Porsche engineers all of their vehicles to withstand all sorts of abuse in the most harsh environments. But I'm a little hesitant to make such a significant purchase without doing my due diligence. I'm sure a number of members here (who live in the snow belt regions) have gone through the same dilemma and thought process. What would your advice and recommendation be?

It's such a difficult decision - heart says Boxster, head says Macan. I know, first world problem, isn't it?!:taunt: Anyways, looking forward to everyone's comments!
I don't have direct experience with a Boxster in New England, but I do have experience with an MR2 and an Alfa Romeo Spyder in New England. So I'll lean on the MR2 for mid engine in the snow and I'll lean on the Spyder for the soft top in the snow.

First the top. My Alfa top took a beating and required replacing every few years. That was a pure canvas top and I'd imagine the Boxster has a better top (both in materials and design), but I'd just get a hard top to use in the winter if you plan on driving it year round. I can appreciate the storage of the hard top in the off season could be a challenge, but you'll have to balance that with the cost of replacing your soft top. Your car will likely be warmer with the seasonal hard top as well.

As for mid engine in the snow... Now my '87 MR2 had about 105 hp and road on 185/60 tires so I appreciate that its quite a different car from a Boxster but honestly mid engine is mid engine and when I drive my Cayman the car it reminds me the most of is definitely that MR2. Mid engine cars rotate easily and in the snow this can lead to some exciting moments, though I found that with snow tires all around I actually got around quite well and was never stuck anywhere, but I wouldn't risk it with all season tires, most of my exciting moments came on all season tires in a few inches of snow. You will have traction control and ABS which I didn't have but on well plowed roads I think you'd be fine on winter tires.

You can probably tell by my answer I didn't weigh the Macan choice to much. I think the Macan is likely a wonderful compact SUV, but its not a sports car. If you want a sports car there's no choice between the two.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
"Although it's been said many times many ways..." Drive them both, back to back if possible, for more than a 10 minute around the block session. If you aren't quite sure wheretour automotive soul lies that process should help. As Mike can attest a Boxster is very versatile, has a lot of storage space even for Costco runs, and can handle winter. I've read a lot of great reviews about the Macan but have yet to drive one but it may well be the "911" of CUVs - but even so, now that we have a 911, the driving experience is notably different (not better or worse, just different). So if your hesitation was Boxsters and winter I wouldn't worry. If it is "practical roadster" vs "sporty CUV" then drive drive drive them both.....

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
The Macan is a compact CUV. A Cayenne is a full sized SUV - 4 x 4, but that isn't important here.
It's all just marketing games. Macan is matching in size full size SUVs of previous years. Now when the manufacturers main models grew to ginormouse sizes, they introduced the new "compact" models like X3 and Q? and Macan. But if you check, those "compacts" are exactly the size of usual SUV 6-7 years ago.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
When I looked at a Macan, I set the driver's seat where I would want it, and the back seat behind it was extremely uncomfortable. When I tried that in a Boxster, I couldn't even find the back seat. All kidding aside, I was surprised to discover that the Macan is more of a 2+2 than a four seater.

Which will give you more pleasure/less grief? Being able to take the Macan out in the snow, or great driving in the Boxster?

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Seems you have other concerns related to weather/road conditions that may play a role. But I'd highly recommend you test both cars. They re very different even under normal conditions.

I don't like the looks of the Macan especially from the back. However, I did ride in one and was blown away by its performance.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When I looked at a Macan, I set the driver's seat where I would want it, and the back seat behind it was extremely uncomfortable. When I tried that in a Boxster, I couldn't even find the back seat. All kidding aside, I was surprised to discover that the Macan is more of a 2+2 than a four seater.

Which will give you more pleasure/less grief? Being able to take the Macan out in the snow, or great driving in the Boxster?
I agree the Macan's backseats are not very accommodating but luckily both my wife and I are not very tall people and we have no kids yet so we can live with that.

To be honest if it gets so bad out that the streets aren't plowed by work hours, I seriously doubt I should be driving outside regardless.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts