Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We pulled up to one of our favorite wine bars and I see a 911 C2 out front (unusual) so I park right next to him of course. He has temp tags with rear spoiler up and now we are both parked right out front of the glass windows to the bar so everyone can see.....pretty cool.

Of course, as I get out and walk past it....I do an instant analysis in about 2.3 micro seconds. 991 Base, no PSE or SC and 7MT No sport suspension, PASM or leather options and no colored crests on the wheels. GY tires. Not many options but still it looked great.

My wife and I grab a glass of wine and I ask if I can get up and stroll to the window to take a peak at the two Porsches out front. I notice that the owner is now out with another individual and he has his rear engine bay cover open. A true car lover who loves his Porsche and wants to share! I walk out and introduce myself and tell him that I own the red one next to him. I want to know how he likes his new 911 and what other Porsches he has owned. He starts bragging to me and the other guy that he just bought his 911 and that it can go over 200mph. I start scratching my head.....a base 991 over 200mph? I didn't want to tell him that I have the configurator memorized and that his car could not go that fast... I immediately got turned off by the conversation and the fake bragging. Then he shifted to his spoiler....it goes up at 55mph he tells us. Hmmmmmm I think to myself. ...and then I got to listen to how he got a great deal at $70k when his car cost over $100k new. (It was a 2013). I said nice chatting with you and headed back into the bar to start surfing planet-9 again. lol

·
Registered
539 Posts
I guess there is always one. A mate of mine asked a guy at work how he was enjoying his 991. Guy replies saying you mean my 911 lol!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
We just moved and are at our first block party in the new neighborhood--first time ever we've lived amongst the "grown-ups," so to speak. I'm introduced to a woman who I correctly discern is the wife of the guy down the block who drives a 997 C2S. Sensing she's not a car person, instead of saying "997", I ask if she's the wife of the "911" man. Her face turns to confusion and perhaps a little horror (a "why is this new neighbor associating my husband with the destruction of the World Trade Center?" look). Even "911" was a totally foreign concept to her. She did at least know he drove a "Porsh." Ya gotta know who you're talkin' to. . . (The husband overheard the conversation at a distance, shook his head while laughing.)

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
We pulled up to one of our favorite wine bars and I see a 911 C2 out front (unusual) so I park right next to him of course. He has temp tags with rear spoiler up and now we are both parked right out front of the glass windows to the bar so everyone can see.....pretty cool.

Of course, as I get out and walk past it....I do an instant analysis in about 2.3 micro seconds. 991.1 Base, no PSE or SC and 7MT No sport suspension, PASM or leather options and no colored crests on the wheels. GY tires. Not many options but still it looked great.

My wife and I grab a glass of wine and I ask if I can get up and stroll to the window to take a peak at the two Porsches out front. I notice that the owner is now out with another individual and he has his rear engine bay cover open. A true car lover who loves his Porsche and wants to share! I walk out and introduce myself and tell him that I own the red one next to him. I want to know how he likes his new 911 and what other Porsches he has owned. He starts bragging to me and the other guy that he just bought his 911 and that it can go over 200mph. I start scratching my head.....a base 991 over 200mph? I didn't want to tell him that I have the configurator memorized and that his car could not go that fast... I immediately got turned off by the conversation and the fake bragging. Then he shifted to his spoiler....it goes up at 55mph he tells us. Hmmmmmm I think to myself. ...and then I got to listen to how he got a great deal at $70k when his car cost over $100k new. (It was a 2013). I said nice chatting with you and headed back into the bar to start surfing planet-9 again. lol
This partly answers the question, what kind of people are buying a base 911 instead of a 3.4L 981, doesn't it?:hilarious:

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
A long, long time ago I owned a 924. I parked beside a guy who was driving a 944. He wouldn't talk to me. :p It takes all kinds.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Spoiler up?Lol! Poseur! Yes, the best advice is to walk away, eventually they trip up. He's the type that gives Porsche owners a bad rep. Oh well.........

Reactions: X73 and subshooter

·
Registered
381 Posts
I had a very nice thumbs up moment with a base 997 Carrera owner today. He did not have his spoiler up while we were stopped Lol. Every experience is different.

Sent from my StarTrek communicator using Tapatalk

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a funny story. I partially wish you rattled off a few specifications and asked him what he thought about them. But you did the right thing, smile and walk away. Who cares.
I thought about it..... When he started bragging about taking it up to 87mph, I wanted to mention to that I had mine up to 160 on the autobahn....but then I would have been the tool.

My only real exposure to Porsche owners is through P-9, PCA and dealer events. I guess I had a misconception that we are all flat-6 fanatics. (Soon to be flat-4/6 fanatics) ughh....

·
Registered
878 Posts
I saw a 991S at the local Cracker Barrel on Friday (I usually take my wife to a romantic dinner at the old Country Store for the Fish Fry on Fridays ;)). It was white.....and the spoiler was up. At such an intimate place, it was difficult to see who owned the car so I can't comment on the owner's knowledge. That being said....the choice of Cracker Barrel speaks well for the owner's sense of value and wise decision making capability! :)

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
I saw a 991S at the local Cracker Barrel on Friday ....and the spoiler was up.
Wing up? There is no rule that says 911 owners are the brightest bulbs in the barrel either ;) (oh that was a pun)

Oh wait, that makes two 911s. I forget, the wing up thing is a newbie thing. That explains it. Like speccing the logo on the seats and in the console because they forget what car they are driving after seeing the name on the rear, the door sill, and the logo on the steering wheel. ;) Then the second Porsche they buy they decide to save the $1,000 they threw away on logos and get the illuminate door sills with customized name instead along with the leather on the fuse box cover.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I want the crests in rhinestones, multi colored rhinestones............ Gold spinners on my rims. Living large baby, living large!

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I always try to give the benefit of the doubt to a stranger I meet in encounters like this. Let's face it, not everyone is a car enthusiast, and doesn't know all of a 911 specs. Since you showed interest in his car he may have resorted to some exaggeration to impress you. My last 911 was a 997S. If someone asked me the top speed, I'd have to guess that it was around 180 MPH. As to when the spoiler automatically rises, is it bragging to say that the spoiler rises at 55 MPH? I doubt that if that info would impress anyone.

For all we know this may have been the guy's first 911, a car that he may have dreamed about all his life and finally was able to make his dream come true. So unless I knew this guy to be a jerk, I'd cut this guy some slack. On the other hand I have met 911 snobs. A few years ago I took my 997S, which was track prepped, in for servicing. I was given a base 987 as a loaner. I drove the loaner to lunch and a guy with a base 997 parked a couple of spaces away from the Boxster. The 997 owner along with his luncheon companion set a couple of tables from me. So for about five minutes I heard nothing but disparaging comments about the Boxster, and how it took away from the prestige of owning a Porsche. On the way out I couldn't resist telling the obnoxious 997 owner that the Boxster was my car, a small fib, and that it was just as much a Porsche as his 997.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I like having my spoiler up when parked sometimes. :-(
I admit I did it more as a noobie. I usually raise it for cleaning after a wash and leave it up until it finally goes down on it's own. Hey, that's the only way I'll ever see what the car looks like with it raised.
Only other way someone sees it is when they eat my dust:drivingskid:

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Mine must be broken ... :(

You're first hint should have been the spoiler up when parked.
This is funny for me since a friend JUST bought a new Boxster and we were teasing him yesterday about having the spoiler up. He put it down. Then, a while after when we stopped again, it was back up, so of course we teased him again. The kicker is that you simply can't see it from inside the car so if you hit the button by accident and don't notice the little light, you'll have no idea it's raised.

I like having my spoiler up when parked sometimes. :-(
Why?? Unless you're at a track, if I see one up I just assume it's broken. :D

I admit I did it more as a noobie. I usually raise it for cleaning after a wash and leave it up until it finally goes down on it's own. Hey, that's the only way I'll ever see what the car looks like with it raised.
Wait... what?? Does that happen? When does it go down on its own if you've raised it manually??

I also raise it while washing... but try to remember to lower it when it's dry. If I don't and notice it later... I just hope nobody else saw it. :D

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Cyclists have fixie riders, motorcyclists have Harley-Davidson owners, there are posers in any demographic.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts