Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the first accessory for my 'new' Cayman yesterday, a mid-rise lift for the garage. I'm looking forward to using it, and have an oil change planned for the next few days. If anyone has considered it but hesitated, I vote to go ahead and get one, but make sure it allows plenty of access to the car, like mine does. Its a Norco, 6000# capacity, traded a fellow car enthusiast for it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Now that's what I call an ACCESSORY! What kind of ceiling height do you have and/or recommend?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a mid-rise lift, so it clears standard garage height ceilings. It will even clear in my garage with the door open, as it only raises to something like 43" or so. Plenty to get underneath for oil changes, plugs, etc. and great for brake work.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
check then check again if you have an electric door opener......my z06 was 3 mos old when i put a rain groove on the roof of it....OOF owner occurred fault

·
Registered
446 Posts
shouldn't that plate be on some other german car ;) , nice setup with the lift ! wish I had the room for one of those :(

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wondered when someone would comment on the plate. It came off my '02 M3, which is for sale. I'm ordering my new plate for the Cayman tomorrow, APEXL8.

And yes, the car would hit the door opener IF it was in the center of the garage, but the car sits off to one side of the opener, so no worries there.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
Pretty cool. There have many times that would come in handy for me.

·
Registered
386 Posts
WOW NICE!!!
May I ask how much and where did you get it?

·
Registered
346 Posts
WOW NICE!!!
Did a little research. Lift, as well as other jacking devices, is available from Norco Industries "Norcoind.com". No prices shown but can download owners manual online. Interesting that one of their distribution centers is in Elkhart Lake, IN...location of Road America track.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
WOW NICE!!!
i paid around a grand [cash] gregsmithequiptment.com in del.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I wondered when someone would comment on the plate. It came off my '02 M3, which is for sale. I'm ordering my new plate for the Cayman tomorrow, APEXL8.
What a brilliant idea for a vanity plate :) Just don't move to Georgia!

I can't tell from the pictures, were you able to get all the weight on the jack points, or does the lift press up on other structure.

Chuck

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
I found a price of $2600 new for that model...

It looks like the car is going to fall of any second. Maybe just the angle of the pics. Does it seem stable? (silly Q, maybe) Does it "lock" in place? Is the wooden frame necesary to give you enough clearance when parking your car?

That looks really cool. Jack up once and wheel around the car on a shop stool for tire/pad changes etc. Very nice.

·
Registered
386 Posts
i paid around a grand [cash] gregsmithequiptment.com in del.
I couldn't find it on gregsmithequiptment.com. But I found it somewhere about $2k...

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,746 Posts
I bought a Barber's tag, it looks good on my Boxster

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I have had one of the scissor lifts for several years and find it to fit all my needs. Mine is a Snap-on. I have built 14 foot ramps for each side (2x4's on edge with seven bolted and glued together for each ramp and one end of each cut at an angle with a built in chock at the other end) so I can easily get the car on it without scraping the front spoiler. In fact I part the '83 Sc over it all the time. Don't know about the Norco but I do have one of their floor jacks and it is great, plus Norco supports their products with parts a rarity in todays world.

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Mitch:

The first accessory is a good garage. Then maybe some CDs, manuals and books on the car. Then tools including a decent floor jack. Next would be a decent lift. This one looks great!

I have a hydraulic frame-lift made by Bent-Pak. It's a real, for sure, above ground service lift like you might find in a dealer. It just fits under my 9' ceiling and allows me to lift the car by the frame high enough to park motorcycles under it. I have tape on the upright for each car, so I know just how high to go without putting the roof through my ceiling. I use it mostly for changing tires and brakes, but it's great for the occasional big job too. Makes life with pet vehicles much more fun.

Good decision! But I don't need to tell you that. :cheers:

·
On Probation
582 Posts
I couldn't find it on gregsmithequiptment.com. But I found it somewhere about $2k...
i just left the site...1295 for a mid rise...if you go with cash and pick it up ...a g wiz

·
Registered
88 Posts
Did a little research. Lift, as well as other jacking devices, is available from Norco Industries "Norcoind.com". No prices shown but can download owners manual online. Interesting that one of their distribution centers is in Elkhart Lake, IN...location of Road America track.
Great looking lift!

But ...
Road America is in the Kettle Morraine region of Elkhart Lake WISCONSIN.
:)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Looks like you got a great lift for a great price. I always have leaned towards the 4 post style simply for peace of mind. However, this looks like it suits your needs well.

Now that you have the lift....let the modding begin!

·
Registered
386 Posts
i just left the site...1295 for a mid rise...if you go with cash and pick it up ...a g wiz
Thanks a lot!! :cheers:

PS. I shouldn't come to this forum, it makes me speed lots of $$$$

1 - 20 of 24 Posts