Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made it to the office and there's <1" on the roads. Here in the Washington DC area, panic starts with the first snowflake and the roads are in a few places treated but I've seen no evidence of plowing. Well, my new Dunlop snows from Tire Rack are on, and so far -- I'm pleased. I saw a few SUV's struggling with grades, I went right on up.

I did notice in low-speed maneuvering some understeer even with gentle steering inputs, need to watch for that (this is my first middie DD).

For a definitive verdict on the Boxster as a winter car, I'll need to experience more significant snow. I suspect it will do just fine up the the ground-clearance mark, at which point I stay home.

Now if only my wife, in the S2000 on Blizzak WS-50's, makes it to the office OK.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't bother to travel when it snows in the DC area, even an inch. The drivers are bad enough in the dry; in the snow it is traffic armageddon. Google Maps is solid red everywhere.

Screen Shot 2015-01-06 at 8.07.45 AM.jpg

Glad to hear the Boxster did well, though!

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Made it to the office and there's <1" on the roads. Here in the Washington DC area, panic starts with the first snowflake and the roads are in a few places treated but I've seen no evidence of plowing. Well, my new Dunlop snows from Tire Rack are on, and so far -- I'm pleased. I saw a few SUV's struggling with grades, I went right on up.
Good for your. In a border state are, you really can't trust the masses who should be out getting peanut butter and toilet paper (well by now).

Not giving in to the winter "fear". Kudos to you :D

Be safe

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't bother to travel when it snows in the DC area, even an inch. The drivers are bad enough in the dry; in the snow it is traffic armageddon. Google Maps is solid red everywhere. Glad to hear the Boxster did well, though!
+1 on the Washington DC drivers. Yeah, I'm the early-bird at the office, other staff wandering in now with horror stories of 2-1/2-hour drives in. Ugh!

Hopefully the Zaino will protect the paint from the snowbrush I just bought. :helpme:

Good for your. In a border state are, you really can't trust the masses who should be out getting peanut butter and toilet paper (well by now).
Not giving in to the winter "fear". Kudos to you :D Be safe
I'm conservative on this, if the weather/roads so dictate, I get off the roads. I'm in the office-supply industry, not heart transplants... no such thing as a "stapler emergency" regardless of what the VP of Sales says; they can wait!

Thanks to Costco, I have about 40 rolls of TP so I don't have to deal with the grocery-store panickers. Low on wine, however. :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wash DC commute in the snow...arrrgh...I do not envy you. Hopefully, it is better on the way home.

About 1-2" inches on the ground here. Anymore than that and I would definitely stay home.

OBTW...nice Tiger.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You got balls driving in this weather in a Boxster. I saw lots of stuck vehicles and accidents this morning....
My 981S is safely tucked underneath a cover in the garage....
I am rolling around in my urban assault vehicle.... Bring on Snowmaggedon!

IMG_0672.jpg IMG_0673.jpg

I did notice in low-speed maneuvering some understeer even with gentle steering inputs, need to watch for that (this is my first middie DD).

For a definitive verdict on the Boxster as a winter car, I'll need to experience more significant snow. I suspect it will do just fine up the the ground-clearance mark, at which point I stay home.

Now if only my wife, in the S2000 on Blizzak WS-50's, makes it to the office OK.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
+1 on the Washington DC drivers. Yeah, I'm the early-bird at the office, other staff wandering in now with horror stories of 2-1/2-hour drives in. Ugh!

Hopefully the Zaino will protect the paint from the snowbrush I just bought. :helpme:

I'm conservative on this, if the weather/roads so dictate, I get off the roads. I'm in the office-supply industry, not heart transplants... no such thing as a "stapler emergency" regardless of what the VP of Sales says; they can wait!

Thanks to Costco, I have about 40 rolls of TP so I don't have to deal with the grocery-store panickers. Low on wine, however. :(
Now that is a bonafide emergency on a snowy day!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ahhh, the joys of being retired! I'm sitting here in my office looking out the window at a beautiful winter wonderland.

I guess we have about 2-3 inches of the white stuff on the ground and it's still falling. The better half went out this morning in her Audi A4 Quattro and returned within ten minutes - "the traffic was all backed-up and not moving". Oh well, it was only a dentist appointment.

I'm waiting for a response from my SA on the pending delivery of my GTS. It was suppose to have arrived at Davisville, RI on or about 1/2/15. When she provides me with a new ETA I'll let everyone know as I expect a major nor'easter to develop on delivery day!:wall:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Had a dusting here, today. Picked up the car from the dealer, no snow tires... I made it home with little fuss but I won't be doing it again anytime soon!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Good for you. I recall the times when I commuted daily from Springfield VA to Pennsylvania Avenue. When it snowed, the problem wasn't so much getting there. It was getting home! There was no such thing as winter tires at the time.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
There was no such thing as winter tires at the time.

:eek: That's Incredible! (like the old TV show) considering snow tires were invented in the mid-30s, and you had to be at least 16 or so, that means you were born around 1920 and your in the mid-90s?

Wow wow wow. I APPLAUD you for driving a porsche. SERIOUSLY.

·
Registered
848 Posts
A friend just moved to DC and posted about the snow dislocation today. She was surprised it caused to much hassle, like it snows every year there.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Last week I was up in Sedona, Az during a snow storm. I was in my 4x4. as I started to head back to Phoenix. I saw a person driving thier 981 Boxster. There was easily 2 inches on the roads. I could not imagine driving my Boxster S in this type of weather. I only could think... They're NUTS..

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
I had an experience in 1998 in a Porsche Carrera 4 driving in thick snow. Between the weight of the car and the 4-wheel drive I felt confident and safe. In fact I went out because we got a phone call from a friend that was stuck and needed a ride home. I took my time and made certain to avoid sudden moves, but it worked fantastically well. The only concerns I recall were that there were other drivers out (but not many because of the bad snow storm) and the "high center" between the grooves in the road where other cars had driven.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
A friend just moved to DC and posted about the snow dislocation today. She was surprised it caused to much hassle, like it snows every year there.
Actually, it doesn't. It's pretty strange being on the border. Some years, it can be 70 degrees on Christmas, January thaw, and no appreciable snow at all. Other years, like last year, it had small, miserable storms, 3- 5" seemingly into early April, and cold so it rarely melted. And about every 7 years it gets a major blizzard, like 2010 when two hit it. Worse yet, the coast line can have just rain, and inland heavy snow, literally on the snow/rain line. Its weird seeing that transition as you drive, going from rain to snow or vice versa, but not just once but a fair amount of time. Most people just live in areas where it rains or it snows.

DC metro area has a lot of transient people. They come and go, for various reasons. Some come from the north and get frustrated with every one else. Some come from the South and go in fits of panic at even hearing the word snow.

So the issue is, literally, everyone else. Cause you have no idea if last year they were in Miami or Honolulu and never seen or driven in a drop of snow, or Maine or Montana and love the stuff. And snow tires - very, very rare. SUVs? all over the place and everyone knows if you have a SUV you can drive in any storm. Some SUV drivers have no concept of slowing down on snow covered residential areas because you know AWD means you can brake just like in the dry.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had no problems getting to downtown D.C. this morning. The Michelin Alpins worked remarkably well in the snow and I am pleased to say the least. Now I just need to get all the accumulated crud off the car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just had my winter Dunlops and 18" Caymans installed last Friday; had no problems today on Long Island (1-2" of snow)

Reactions: Boxster S Convert

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
Last week I was up in Sedona, Az during a snow storm. I was in my 4x4. as I started to head back to Phoenix. I saw a person driving thier 981 Boxster. There was easily 2 inches on the roads. I could not imagine driving my Boxster S in this type of weather. I only could think... They're NUTS..
I guess I was nuts during my European Delivery. Drove in at least 3 to 4 inches on snow when heading up towards Col de Turini (my wife made me turn around way before I felt unsafe to drive). Unfortunately did not take a picture of that stretch, but here is a picture with a bit less snow at the Col de Tende:

And yes, winter tires are a must.

For some related videos of driving Boxsters in the snow also see this post: http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-...-boxster-s-macan-s-post912106.html#post912106

Reactions: chows4us
1 - 20 of 63 Posts