Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During my trip to the UAE a couple weeks ago, I finally saw an actual Panamera being driven on the road heading toward Maqta Bridge in Abu Dhabi, rather than sitting in the showroom (I saw none whatsoever on public roads or streets when I was in Germany in December, and have seen none in the DC area beyond the confines of dealers).

As we passed him by :burnout: in our rented Nissan Tiida (aka the Versa as it is called in the US), we saw the car was driven very carefully by what looked like a 19 year old kid. Yes, Abu Dhabi really is different than anywhere else......

Not to leave Dubai out, in my week there I saw plenty of Carreras (none older than an '06) and at least two Caymans (one a black '09 S model, the other an Atlas Grey CS, generation I model). Of course, I also saw at least three Audi R8's and 2 Nissan GTR's not to mention the usual Lambo's and Ferrari's in front of the shopping malls.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I live in Al-Ain, 160 KM east of Abu-Dhabi, and I can tell you the Panamera has become very popular here. In fact the car in the photo has a green plate which means Al-Ain's registration.
:thanks:

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, so that's it. The AD registrations have the red accented plates. Since the plates are all Arabic now (they used to say "A.D." on them), I've not been able to differentiate the Al Ain ones, so your info is much appreciated.

Of course, I miss Dubai's distinctive plates from about 10 years ago with the Burj al-Arab on them. Apparently they ran into some trouble with those from the Saudis. Now, Dubai and Sharjah plates look sadly generic (black on white).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts