Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone! After 15 years of driving BMWs I have decided to switch to Porsche. This website/forum has been very helpful. I am expecting delivery in November.

Here is what I configured, this car will be my daily driver:

Cayman Base
Agate Grey Metallic/Standar Interior Black
18 inch Cayman wheels/Wheel Center Caps with Colored Porsche Crest
Power Sport Seats (2 way)
Infortainment Package with Sound Package Plus
Power Folding Side Mirrors
ParkAssist (front and rear)
PDK

Power Steering Plus
Sport Steering Wheel
Smoking Package to cover the hole in the center console

What do you all think? I have read mixed reviews about the power steering plus, not sure if I should keep it.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Nice! I'm down in your neck of the woods too! Word of advice: join Porsche Club of America. You'll enjoy your car more, there are club rides down to th keys, you'll meet nice Porsche folks. Did you buy from The Collection? When you service your car, if you go there, ask for Gus Chevres, he actually cares about how your car is treated, he's professional and no b.s.............

Reactions: Fabspeed Motorsport

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice! I'm down in your neck of the woods too! Word of advice: join Porsche Club of America. You'll enjoy your car more, there are club rides down to th keys, you'll meet nice Porsche folks. Did you buy from The Collection? When you service your car, if you go there, ask for Gus Chevres, he actually cares about how your car is treated, he's professional and no b.s.............
Thanks! I went to the Collection since they are so close to where I live, but they flat out refused to give me any discount on the car, so I went to Champion Porsche up in Pompano and they did a lot better price wise.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Welcome, and good choice of your next car!
What do you all think? I have read mixed reviews about the power steering plus, not sure if I should keep it.
What mixed reviews?
Some people who were talked by salesman into ordering it or bought off the lot - say - it doesn't mess up things too much. Some say it does. No one says 981 needs it. Switching from BMW you sure will appreciate perfect steering of 981. Why mess it up? The rest of you spec is good. Sport steering wheel = sport design, right?

Also, if you are concerned about parking - rear camera is really good to have. Close proximity rear view is non-existent.

·
Registered
773 Posts

What mixed reviews?
Some people who were talked by salesman into ordering it or bought off the lot - say - it doesn't mess up things too much. Some say it does. No one says 981 needs it. Switching from BMW you sure will appreciate perfect steering of 981. Why mess it up? The rest of you spec is good. Don't forget smokers package!
Seat belts in Guards Red are a better use of option dollars than power steering plus

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Thanks! I went to the Collection since they are so close to where I live, but they flat out refused to give me any discount on the car, so I went to Champion Porsche up in Pompano and they did a lot better price wise.
Yes! I drove to St.Pete, went to Bert Smith Porsche, the Collection refused to order car for me! Said I had to buy what they had on floor, as their allocations were all sold.....it was bs. I drove eight hours round trip, saved $8K compared to what The Collection wanted. As for service, I only recommend Gus Chevres, he's a stand up guy.

Reactions: CoralGablesGuy

·
Registered
146 Posts
Congratulations. I had two BMW 3-Series coupes before I bought by first Porsche. I'm now on my third Cayman. Hope you enjoy the Cayman as much as I do. :cheers:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Lose the power steering plus and get the rear back up camera. Money better spent.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Congrats! I don't have any experience with power steering plus, but my cayman doesn't have it, and I wouldn't change a thing about my steering.

im not sure you really need a backup camera or parking sensors on the cayman - the overhangs are short and the rear visibility is good (in my opinion). I'd recommend getting 19" wheels instead.

·
Registered
108 Posts

What mixed reviews?
Some people who were talked by salesman into ordering it or bought off the lot - say - it doesn't mess up things too much. Some say it does. No one says 981 needs it. Switching from BMW you sure will appreciate perfect steering of 981. Why mess it up? The rest of you spec is good. Sport steering wheel = sport design, right?

Also, if you are concerned about parking - rear camera is really good to have. Close proximity rear view is non-existent.
Spot on about everything. When parked in those slanted spots in downtown, you won't be able to see oncoming traffic due to the c pillar/hatch. Visibility is atrocious. I just back up slowly and pray people will let me out haha.

804 Posts
Congratulations on the new acquisition! I also highly recommend joining the PCA, it is a great community. When you you have some interest in taking your driving experience to the next level, I would love to work with you on any exhaust, intake, ecu, wheel, suspension, brake and/or cosmetic upgrades you are interested in.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Congrats! I also would pass on PS+ , not needed IMO.
Welcome to the club!
:cheers:

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
I just back up slowly and pray people will let me out haha.
That was my procedure too. But this winter I installed rearview camera and in-mirror-display.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congratulations. I had two BMW 3-Series coupes before I bought by first Porsche. I'm now on my third Cayman. Hope you enjoy the Cayman as much as I do. :cheers:
I have had a 3 series coupe, sedan and now have a 535i. I am looking forward to a fun sporty car. I hope I love it as much as you do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Congrats! I don't have any experience with power steering plus, but my cayman doesn't have it, and I wouldn't change a thing about my steering.

im not sure you really need a backup camera or parking sensors on the cayman - the overhangs are short and the rear visibility is good (in my opinion). I'd recommend getting 19" wheels instead.
I think I'm just going to leave the power steering for now, maybe test drive a car with it this weekend and see if its a problem. The dealer said its a "good inexpensive option" because it allows for easier steering when driving at slow speeds in traffic and when parking. As for the tires, I'll check them out at the dealer again, but I don't really want to shell out the extra cash, unless it will really make a different in how the car drives.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
If you drive it and like PS+ that's great...but if you're ambivalent about it, I'd suggest seriously considering taking it off. It's one of the very few Porsche options that could potentially limit the size of your resale market, in my view. There are a lot of options I could take or leave if I was shopping for a used Cayman...PSE, Sport Chrono, backup cameras, PDK, etc.,...but the presence or absence of almost all Porsche options wouldn't deter me from buying a used car. In the used market I'd even be fairly flexible about color, and would look at cars that have interior and exterior colors I'd never order. I would flat out not buy a used car with PS+.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think I'm just going to leave the power steering for now, maybe test drive a car with it this weekend and see if its a problem. The dealer said its a "good inexpensive option" because it allows for easier steering when driving at slow speeds in traffic and when parking. As for the tires, I'll check them out at the dealer again, but I don't really want to shell out the extra cash, unless it will really make a different in how the car drives.
I don't get it. It seems all dealers promote this option. Mine tried to convince me to get it too. Is it because it is a simple option with 100% profit margins? What am I missing?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you drive it and like PS+ that's great...but if you're ambivalent about it, I'd suggest seriously considering taking it off. It's one of the very few Porsche options that could potentially limit the size of your resale market, in my view. There are a lot of options I could take or leave if I was shopping for a used Cayman...PSE, Sport Chrono, backup cameras, PDK, etc.,...but the presence or absence of almost all Porsche options wouldn't deter me from buying a used car. In the used market I'd even be fairly flexible about color, and would look at cars that have interior and exterior colors I'd never order. I would flat out not buy a used car with PS+.
I'm leasing the car so resale is not something I am concerned about.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I'm curious as to why you feel so strongly. I don't have first hand experience with it (that I remember), but I was under the impression that it didn't change steering feel at speed, only adding some extra boost at very low speeds for parking lot maneuvers, etc.

I wouldn't take it for free, personally, but I didn't think it was that big of a deal.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I'm curious as to why you feel so strongly. I don't have first hand experience with it (that I remember), but I was under the impression that it didn't change steering feel at speed, only adding some extra boost at very low speeds for parking lot maneuvers, etc.

I wouldn't take it for free, personally, but I didn't think it was that big of a deal.
It's the feel at low speeds that is the problem. Where we live and use our cars, much of the time we are at less than 30 mph...heck, less than 20 mph...navigating around the urban jungle. The additional boost numbs the steering, and robs a significant measure of the car's low-speed, tactile goodness. The transition to "normal" steering is smooth, and at 40 or 50 mph all feels fine. I think PS+ is completely unnecessary, and undermines what makes a Porsche (especially the sports cars) a Porsche. If someone wants that overboosted "luxury/easy-to-drive" experience, a Lexus or a BMW might be a better choice. Even with the switch from hydraulic to electric, 981/991 steering is sublime...at any speed. Panameras, Cayennes, and even Macans might be fine with PS+, but 911s, Boxsters and Caymans are made worse driving tools by it.

I wouldn't go so far as to say PS+ ruins a Porsche sports car, but of all options, it comes the closest. It's always there, very noticeable at slow speeds, can't be turned off, and can't (easily) be removed.

Of course, all this is my opinion. ;) To be taken with a grain of salt. After all, I'm one of only 11 P9 members that doesn't like the sound of PSE on 981s/991s (I like it fine on 987s/997s). PSE wouldn't be a deal-breaker on a used car, though, as it can be sitched off so it's ALMOST unnoticeable, and pretty easily replaced with an aftermarket system.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts