Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Bought my new, to me, first Porsche Saturday night and I have to say I am just in love with the stupid thing. My car is a one owner 07 Cayman base 2.7 and really doesn't seem underpowered to me but then again I did trade in a 6 speed Acura TSX so the Porsche did feel like a rocket when I test drove it.

Allways been a British car guy and have several still including a 65 MGB that has a pretty hot motor (for an MGB) in it, also a 61 Midget that is a hybrid with a Toyota 4AGE twin cam in it and last, a 69 Lotus Elan.

So between the Elan, which has an autocross suspension, and my sons tweaked 94 Supra I really thought I had a grasp on what a good handling car was. The Cayman is better. The Elan is awesome but twitchy and capable of incredible things as long as you are laser sharp in your concentration. Tylers Supra is closest but a little / alot, heavier which translates into inertia probs with quick directon changes. The Cayman though is incredible, changes direction immediately, precise, takes a "set" and stays put until you want to change the arc,,, justfriggin incredible,,,, and good lord the grip is pretty insane.

The car being a 2.7 is it such a handicap? I did have an 04 Honda S2000 and this Cayman certainly seems quicker. If I were to choose to modify it slightly does a cat back, AF and re-flash have the same benefit it does the Type S?

So I live in Denver where I'm a Controller at Buckley, maybe I'll see some of you around or would like to join me for a Peak to Peak drive.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
I never thought my 944S2 of being power handicapped and the 2.7 brings ~50 more HP to the table yet weighs in about the same. So no I wouldn't say that though I've met some who would.

I went CS simply because I could. It's also likely my last new sports car.

And yes, even after several Porsches, the handling is amazing. I suspect that going from your son's Supra to the Cayman is rather like going from an M3 to a Cayman. Still like to add an M3 to the stable but it isn't the same car.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Enjoy! I haven't driven the 2.7 Caymam only the 2.9, but out right power isn't what these cars are about, as you have already found out.

·
Registered
196 Posts
jayrz,

Welcome! Things you must do with the Cayman:

Join the Rocky Mountain Region Porsche Club (and the national chapter):
Rocky Mountain Region Porsche Club

Attend some of the monthly meetings - a great way to meet the brethern.

Come out to High Plains Raceway in April for the first RMRPCA event and realize the true potential of that Croc!

I've got a 2.7 and I will tell you that there is no better way to enjoy that car than to get it out on the track.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Beleary,

yes planning on joining the RMR, attending meetings and definately doing some track days.

just visited th site and clicked join, says that registration ended on 27 Dec 2009 11:59. Does this mean I need to wait until after the first of the year?

and, still waiting on my PCA registration number.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yes, wait until January to join. Starting in 2010 for the RMRPCA I believe that both your local and national dues will be rolled up in your national registration.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
I did have an 04 Honda S2000 and this Cayman certainly seems quicker.
Welcome to the site.

The reason your Cayman feels quicker that the S2000 is because the Cayman has torque. I still have my S2000 and a Cayman S and I can tell you there is a big difference down low.

·
Registered
196 Posts
jayrz - send me a PM when you get a chance.
Thanks,
beleary

·
Registered
252 Posts
Congratulations on your 2.7. I just got a CPO 2.7, '07 w/ PASM and Sport Chrono. The dealer had an '06 S, with almost same mileage and price within $250.00. I drove both and chose the 2.7 because I liked it better. As you have found, even with 50 Hp less, it "pulls stumps" and is a sweet, tractable car. As best as I can tell, the only difference between the two models are power and brakes. The body and suspension are identical. The rest comes down to individual choice with all the various options. As we purchased used, we've got what we got, until you add after market mods.

There are many S owners here that will blow smoke that you didn't get the better car, but that's their opinions. For daily use, 245 Hp is wonderful good as we say in PA Dutch country. I wish you many years of enjoyment.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
My base 2.7 enjoys California roads -- and tracks (Laguan, Thunderhill). The 2.7 and Cayman is a great combination for all around driving and you will find the combination totally entertaining.

If you do "take it to the track", you may start wishing for the extra 50 hp, but, frankly, 245hp and the great Cayman suspension makes for some great driving... and, really, how do you compare 100% enjoyment to (more) 100% enjoyment ?? Besides, driven well, the 2.7 will do a very good job against only slighty less qualified driver, even in a Cayman S !!
D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I'm sure this is going to be alot of fun.

Beleary, I sent you a PM.

Anyone else here a motorcycle roadracer or ex?

yeah, ahem, maybe I shouldn't admit that. Ever see a $20,000 Aprilia flip end over end after you let go of it? Awesome sight but I don't reccomend it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Welcome. May I suggest two things. First really study the owner's manual, lots of nifty features inside. I took months to find all of them. And second, when the weather improves, take a mini-vacation to some place with lots of twisty roads. You will come home smitten.

I did both and are better for it. Come on Spring. Ed

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi Jay, congratulations on your new car.

Like other's have suggested earlier in the thread I could highly recommend some expert led instruction on a good test track with a mix of cambers, bend's and surfaces. The 2.9 Cayman is one of the fastest car's timed around Millbrook proving ground in the UK so you will probably find your limits in the 2.7 before the Cayman's :)

Cheers,
Carl.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
997 Posts
Jay, congrats on your new 2.7. You will find that after some time mastering the power curve (which starts at 2500 rpm and really kicks in 3500 rpm and above) that you will have no trouble wringing the car out, especially with that high redline - and the handling is superior to anything on the road. :burnout:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just took my brand new 09 2.9 for a high speed spin in the Santa Cruz mtns. of Northern California,I envy you Jay for having the Rockies as a playground,

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well at the moment I have great roads but it is just too dang cold to be driving with much spirit and I have no doubt these PS2s will cold tear if I lean on them too much while this frigid.

In the fall I drove from Denver to my engine builders shop in Cortez and went the "back way" , crossing the state diagonally and passing through telluride then straight down, it took forever but man what a great set of roads!

Unfortunately I was driving a silverado pickup to retrieve the 65 MGB engine but I am definately going back through there in the Porsche or the Lotus.

·
Don
17 Posts
Congratulations Jay and welcome! You will keep finding more you love with the car.

I got mine almost a year ago and still say it is absolutely amazing. Just wait until you find a really good set of turns on a warm day when you can push it. I think it was about a month or so after I got mine when I finally found a great stretch of road and I felt like I was driving a totally different car! Amazing handling.

Thankfully the blue ridge mountains are close enough I can get to them on weekend drives as the turn around where I live just don't even come close to challenging the car (or me).

And as others have said, get to the track! Did my first DE in Nov and it was another threshhold in learning what this wonderful car is capable of. I'm hooked and can't wait until late Jan for DE #2.

Have fun!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am really looking forward to doing track days with the car. High Plains Raceway is only about an hour east and a relatively new track that I have never been around. Pueblo (PIR) is a couple hours south and I know it pretty well. On the Aprilia I used to get around there in 1:38 or so..

I'll probably be in the market for another set of wheels for stickier tires if I like it as much as I think I will.

What do you track day folks use for tires?

Do I NEED the sump extension to keep it from oil starving on the track?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts