Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Greetings from Ireland. I am on the lookout for a Cayman S (981), and unfortunately there are none for sale in Ireland at present, however i would love some advice so i can be prepared for when one does pop up:

01 - what is the best transmission (manual or automatic (paddle shift))? I know this will be a preference to some, but i'd love to hear both arguments as to why one is better than the other :) I've always had a manual car as a i felt it was a better driving experience, and i've also found that some automatic / paddle shifts are not really paddle shift at the end of the day... anyway, i am looking forward to hearing the facts and opinions on the 981 transmission options.

02 - there seems to be so many options on 981s that really influence the prices... what options are 'must have' options, and what options can you really live with out.

Thanks in advance for your help on this... and if you know anyone in Ireland with a 981, please let me know, thank you :)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

As you have correctly identified, you are going to get divided opinions as to whether manual or PDK is best. The only advice I can offer is to try both, and you may have to take a visit to your local OPC to do this but it will greatly assist in your decision. They are both very good, but you are either a manual or an auto person.

Options are very subjective, but since you are purchasing used, the best advice is to buy on condition. There are however a few options that are generally regarded as 'must haves' and are: full leather, climate control and (for me) sports seats.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
The only must have is the car itself. Everything else is just personal preference and may have no bearing on what you want in your own car. A test drive in any 981 will help, if that's possible. Decide on a budget, then see what items in your wish list will be affordable. Regardless of how the car is set up, you'll have a wonderful sports car that will offer a rewarding driving experience.

Oh .... and of course the manual transmission is mandatory. ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I will offfer up my thoughts based on owning 3 Caymans and about to take delivery of my 4th when it arrives from port. 2008 Cayman S, 6MT and only auto HVAC and colored center caps. This was used as my DD 25 miles round trip in moderate to heavy traffic. In 3 years of driving, I had no complaints or issues. Cayman R, 6MT bought as CPO with 5,800 miles. I drove it about a year as a DD over the same route as the 08 CS. It had Bose, auto air, bi-Xenons, OEM black wheels, Chrono, short shifter, bi-Xenons, ........list was about $80K new. I had no issues but found the Bose not worth the money. 2014 Cayman 2.7L PDK bought as CPO with 5,700 miles on it. It is a DD and have owned it for two years. In addition to the PDK, it has 14 way memory seats, bi-Xenons, auto air, 19" Cayman S wheels, Infotainment, PDLS......This is my favorite overall to date for balancced performance and mix o amenities. I actually prefer the PDK especially in traffic. 2016 ordered. It is confiigured very simiilar to the 2014 with a few tweaks. These include Mahogany Metallic paint, X73 Sport Suspension, 19 Boxster S wheels, Sport Design steering wheel, CDR+ vs Infotainment. The X73 is the only really substantive change which I added as it wouldd get me closer to the handling I had in the Cayman R and enjoyed. As you can see, for me, the 2014/2016 represent my 'ideal' combination. I was happy with all the Caymans even when pretty stripped down like the 08 CS. In my opinion, then, the must haves for me are.....PDK, auto air, bi-Xenons (PDLS), 14Way/memory seats (two drivers use the car), upgraded audio.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, great insight... i will be doing the exact same (distance and traffic) commute as you.

Now... if only i could find one to buy :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Out of all my options on my Boxster, the sports exhaust is my favourite! That is definitely worth the money...it sounds really good!

Reactions: 293866

·
Registered
221 Posts
Out of all my options on my Boxster, the sports exhaust is my favourite! That is definitely worth the money...it sounds really good!
+1 on the Sports Exhaust. It's my best option, by far... Very happy with my PDK as well. Only one regret: I wish I had optioned the car with X73...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts