Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first attempt at a GTS configuration which I propose to discuss with a local UK dealer. Any comments?

My Cayman GTS Options

* Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV)
* Electric folding outside mirrors
* Speed limit display
* Adaptive cruise control incl Porsche Active Safe (PAS)
* Light design package
* 2-zone automatic air conditioning
* Wheels painted in satin platinum
* Bi-Xenon Headlights with PDLS with dynamic high beam
* Rear wiper
* Automatically dimming interior and exterior mirrors with integrated rain sensor
* Third Year Porsche Assistance
* Third Year Warranty
* Elimination alcantara
* SportDesign steering wheel
* Sapphire Blue Metallic
* 20-inch Carrera S wheel
* Sports seats Plus (2-way, electric)
* Telephone module
* Digital radio
* Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
* Porsche Communication Management (PCM) incl navigation module with universal audio interface
* Reversing camera incl. ParkAssist front and rear
* Black leather interior
* BOSE® Surround Sound System
* Seat heating
* Smoking package
* Seat ventilation
* Key pouch in leather
* Personalised floor mats with leather edging
* Voice control
* Door sill guards in stainless steel

·
Registered
83 Posts
I believe that refers to the display that shows the speed limit on the road that you are driving on. It is a handy feature for those of us driving cop bait.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
"Camera-based traffic sign recognition of speed limits and ‘no overtaking’ zones (start and end). Includes display on the colour screen in the instrument cluster". Not a North America Option. We get a speed limit display but as best as I can tell, it's based only on the data from the nav system and no camera is used. I have not had my car for that long and I've found the data from the nav system is not always right. For instance I was in a 45 zone and the system told me it was 55.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
That sounds like a pretty interesting option. I wonder where Porsche put the camera? On the back of the rear view mirror perhaps?

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
That sounds like a pretty interesting option. I wonder where Porsche put the camera? On the back of the rear view mirror perhaps?
Pretty sure it's in the mirror.

On a side note, I'm actually at the point where I want the ability to have a camera recording things at all times and I think it would be cool if Porsche would add an option like that. Much like he Corvette's Performance Data Recorder: Performance Data Recorder: Quantified Corvette | Chevrolet I can envision how other manufacturers will adopt something similar over the next few years.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
This looks like a pretty loaded config!! One thing I suggest is that you seriously consider one of the two-tone interior choices. I'd do Agate/Amber with the Sapphire Blue, but if you're feeling that's a bit wild, the Black/Luxor will go perfectly as well.

I'm not really sure which options you've passed on. Is there anything in particular you're having trouble deciding on?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Any comments?
Just three:

1. In my opinion it leaves very little to be desired.
2. As a result of 1 above, your wallet will take a hammering.
3 As a result of 1 and despite 2, you are likely to be delighted with this car.

Depending upon your thoughts about the chrome trim inside the car, it might be worth looking at the leather / brushed black aluminium / carbon trim options.

I opted to have the centre console chrome trim replaced with leather trim (for about £160) and, now I have the car, I'm pleased I did. I've seen photographs of a car that has had all of the chrome trim replaced with brushed black aluminium (I think it is Wild Weasel's) and, if I'd thought about this before my order was locked, I would have been very tempted to select those options.

As it is, I collected my car on a very sunny day last week and, despite the sun being low in the sky, did not find there were any distracting reflections.

·
Registered
381 Posts
What good does auto cruise do for a fun car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: subshooter

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for all the comments so far. To give a bit of background, this car will replace a 2003 Mercedes CLK 240, which is now a bit too large and ponderous for my needs. As a daily driver I also have a 1996 Honda Civic 3-door which I intend to keep for as long as it continues to pass its MOT without great expense. I have had both of these cars from new. As you can see, I tend to hang on to my cars for a long time, and this has caused me to want a highly specified Cayman.

One of the extras on the CLK is a speed limiter, which I have found very useful to keep me out of trouble on main roads and around town. This is why I've gone for the adaptive cruise control which I think would do a similar job on the Cayman. When I want to have fun I would turn it off. I think the speed limit display is an interesting gadget and fairly low cost, and would help stop me getting carried away in the Cayman and going well over the limit!

In the interior, I quite like the appearance of the silver trim on the doors and the dash. I think it provides some interest in the otherwise black interior. I've gone for the 2-way sports seats plus however I was initially a bit worried about the silver grey seat backs however to have these in leather I believe you have to have the multi-way seats, making the total additional cost very high at around £3,000. I've decided I'm happy with the silver grey backs as they will match the similar feature between the filler caps on the rear parcel shelf.

Other issues are that I'm not sure of the difference between 'preparation for mobile phone' and 'telephone module'. Also the catalogue seems to indicate that some form of door sill guards with model designation are standard in the Cayman GTS. I'm not sure how these would differ from the stainless steel sill guards that can be selected.

Anyway, I'm going for a test drive in a few days and hope to place an order if I like it!

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I'm sure you've seen the interior in person to get an opinion on that chrome trim, but I agree with the above and suggest you give it a second thought. People who have it seem to agree that even if not for the issues with reflections, it generally just seems a bit cheap in an otherwise top-notch interior.

You've got a highly optioned car so I'm assuming the extra cost to change it isn't going to kill you. If you ignore my suggestion above about a two-tone interior and stick with the Sapphire and Black, here's my suggestion:

I think that either the painted dash trim and leather console trim, or the silver brushed aluminum and leather console trim would look beautiful in your interior. If you like the contrast that the chrome plastic gives you, you'll get the same thing with a much more higher-end feel with the brushed aluminum. Doing the painted trim just brings in the outside colour... and it IS a beautiful colour.

In both cases I suggest you do leather for the center console. I just don't find that doing that in a different colour than the rest of the console is a great look no matter what material is used. It's just not a set of flowing lines that should be contrasting from the rest, like the dash and doors are. In my case, it's black brushed aluminum but I completely forgot it was there until I rested my hand on it and it felt a bit cold. It blends with the black perfectly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to let everyone know I had a test drive in December (awesome) and placed an order on 17th December. Delivery is expected in April.

I think that the standard silver interior trim (on doors and dash) looks fine so decided to go with that rather than carbon.

I deleted the rear wiper as I think the car looks better without it and also I believe it is configured for left-hand drive not right hand drive. I also decided to not go with the seat ventilation, key pouch in leather, personalised floor mats, voice control or door sill guards in stainless steel.

I did however go for the 14-way electric sports-plus seats.

* Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV
)
* Electric folding outside mirrors
* Speed limit display
* Adaptive cruise control incl Porsche Active Safe (PAS)
* Light design package
* 2-zone automatic air conditioning
* Wheels painted in satin platinum
* Bi-Xenon Headlights with PDLS with dynamic high beam
* Automatically dimming interior and exterior mirrors with integrated rain sensor
* Third Year Porsche Assistance
* Third Year Warranty
* Elimination alcantara
* SportDesign steering wheel
* Sapphire Blue Metallic
* 20-inch Carrera S wheel
* Sports seats Plus (14-way, electric)
* Telephone module
* Digital radio
* Porsche Doppelkupplung
(PDK)

* Porsche Communication Management (PCM
) incl navigation module with Universal Audio Interface

* Reversing camera incl. ParkAssist front and rear
* Black leather interior
* BOSE® Surround Sound System
* Seat heating
* Smoking package

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
The phone module allows you two things if I remember correctly:

You can use a SIM card directly in your car. Not sure you really need it.
If your phone supports the protocol (not all do, not even all iPhones), you can use the car's antenna instead of the phone's antenna to make calls, thus improving call quality.

Unless you use it as a rolling conference center, I think I would skip it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That's a pretty impressive spec, I have ordered my GTS from OPC Portsmouth who got me an April Build Slot
I have ordered my Cayman GTS today, after ringing/e-mailing just about every Porsche centre in the UK I have an April build date from OPC Portsmouth
White, 20" Carrera Wheels in Satin, Park Assist Front & Rear, Seat Heating, Smoking Package (Don't Smoke), and most of all 6 speed manual.
You can't believe how difficult these are to get over here in Blighty...lol
I live in Worksop, North Notts, so it will be some journey when I come to collect and I cant wait.
It's a very limited spec, well I'm at the top of my budget as it is and the only real thing I would like to add if funds allow is Sat Nav as the GTS comes with virtually everything I want.
To say I'm excited is an understatement, now please let Porsche build it a bit early...lol
Cheers

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Wow! Are there any options left at all? :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts