Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although my BS comes with F&R sensors, I've had a few occasions where I suddenly found people walking behind me as I was backing up. You would think the exhaust note would make them give me a wide berth but but it doesn't. So I've been looking for a backup camera solution. I did a bunch of searches and I found the NAV-TV posting. This provides a mostly OEM finished looking install which I also wanted. I spoke to the NAV-TV people just to confirm everything: yes, I have PCM >4, 4.63; yes, it does work with F&R sensors; but no there is no mechanism to have the guidance lines turn based on the steering wheel position.

As I was not intending to do the install myself, I used their recommended installer, Audio Symphony in SanFran. Took them all day, and we had a brief panic when they could not get the F&R sensors to show on the PCM screen, but that just required a re-programming step outlined in the installation guide. The F&R sensor horizontal picture of the car that normally takes the full screen is now vertical and to the right hand side with the camera view showing behind it and the rest of the screen. Took them most of the day. They mounted the NAV-TV backup camera centered under the rear parking lights just above the license plate.

Overall I'm happy with the setup. If I were to do it over again however I would go with a different camera as the one recommended by NAV-TV is aimed too far downward making it hard to see what is behind me past 6 feet. On a couple of occasions, I have experienced the PCM screen flashing a bit and having a greenish tinge to everything but I think this is an interaction between the backup light and the camera's automatic dimming. At first I thought this was using an infrared but its not consistent enough to confirm that feature.

One quirky thing I had not anticipated is that because of the front sensor, whenever the front sensor goes off, the backup camera also comes on.

One thing I wish the camera would support is allow me to adjust the backup grid lines to distances that I want rather than having them fixed. The PCM options for grid lines appear to have no affect on this setup. The grid lines are always there.

And in case anyone is wondering it is possible to turn on the backup camera by hitting the mute button twice which is useful some times.

Hope this helps anyone.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I ran into several of the situations that you described.
I installed myself and used a different camera (as specified by other P9 posters).
I like the angle / distance provided...but I was not so excited by the camera taking over my PCM screen when my front sensors went off.
Overall...I do enjoy having the backup camera on my CS - allows me to back into places and not worry about hitting anything.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.