Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after owning a Cayman GTS for a couple of years, I realized I really didn't want to beat it up that much around my local tracks. I went looking for a quick, open-top sports car that wouldn't cost a whole lot that I could drive a few hours to my four or five local tracks for DE's or time trials much as I did a Lotus for a number of years. Looked long and hard at a Honda S2000, but didn't want to get involved with modifying the roll bar, and really just didn't want the car bad enough.

Then I thought why not a Boxster, a car that I truthfully never even thought about buying in the 20 years it's been out. As you guys know, and I learned, prices are cheap (relatively), and I took a look around to find that the 987.1 is in abundance if you're willing to travel. And sitting at a dealer 120 miles away in my state was a red Boxster S that they took in on a trade for a Jeep that they couldn't sell in the middle of winter and were about to send back to auction. It had a clean Carfax and I ran the VIN through my dealer, to find out it was a Texas car that ended up here in Michigan a year ago. It ran and sounded fine, so I offered a couple of thousand $ less than the car was probably worth and they took it.

So now I had a Boxster that I wanted to make into a part-time summer convertible and part-time DE, come and shoot the breeze and do some quickish laps car. I took the savings from the dealer buy and put on a Cayman R suspension retrofit . I changed out the fluids, got some good pads, did an aggressive alignment, and drove it around, to find that it was a really GREAT drive. Added Yoko AD08's and it was even better to drive. Better steering than my CGTS, obviously not as quick, but the whole car seemed to be just perfectly dialed in for a good drive. All it needed was some fun in the interior to match the extroverted exterior.

Dallas Wheel did an alcantara switchout of the sports wheel and gaiter, Function First supplied a great shift knob, and Classic 9 did the reupholstering in Porsche pasha. My local shop laughed when they saw the seats, but I explained that the velour holds me in place well on fast laps.

Ran my first DE on a local track the other day, car was quick and the drive home was a pleasure. They got it right with this one.

Here are some pics from the track.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
awesome! Love the Posha upgrade!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Nice looking Box. I had a 79 Mustang Pace Car that had checker board seat inserts. They look cool but are a dog to keep clean.

I would suggest adding a higher walled sump baffle and a Function First shifter-right solution. And shift at 6K rpm vs redline. These few items will provide many fun filled DEs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks good, were there any issues retrofitting the Cayman R suspension to the 987 Boxster S? I was thinking about getting PSS9s but I'm not going to be tracking the car very often. Cayman R suspension seems like it may be more suitable for daily driving as well (ride height, comfort).

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hey, thanks guys for the replies!

RHT87S, as to the Cayman R suspension, it was a drop in, no issues in installing by my indie shop. It makes for a fine street ride, firm but not harsh. As far as I understand, it is essentially what became the X73 option for the 981 chassis, so you get a 20mm shorter spring with a spring rate matched to the shocks with Porsche's secret sauce for damping and rebound. I like it and chose to pass on the PSS9 kit since i have no idea what spring and shock rebound and damping rates are used in it.

For the full "R" or Spyder suspension, there is also a slight change in one of the roll bars and 5mm spacers all around, actually. I did the spacers but not the roll bar, wanting to feel out how it behaves without it for a bit.

Husker, the high walled sump, that's probably a good idea, could you tell me where you sourced yours? Is there enough room down there for a bigger sump without risking ground impact, or do you also run a plate? I haven't poked around enough to visualize it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Husker, the high walled sump, that's probably a good idea, could you tell me where you sourced yours? Is there enough room down there for a bigger sump without risking ground impact, or do you also run a plate? I haven't poked around enough to visualize it. Thanks in advance.
I did mine 3 yrs ago. I'm pretty sure it is an EBS, which can be purchased thru Pelican. It was supposed to be plug and play, but needed some modifications to clear some internal bolt heads. Other companies (LN and Tarett) also sell replacement baffles. I have not done the sump extension.

I have done a spin-on oil filter from LN. There are 2 advantages: 1) oil does not bypass the filter at start-up, and 2) a metal filter will survive any agricultural runs that may occur during a DE better than a plastic canister.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Where did you get the Cayman R suspension?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
FYI...

There's a Function First shift-right soln for sale in the classifieds. Not affiliated. This makes a world of difference, esp when down-shifting. Don't want a 5-2 downshift when you think it's 5-4.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HB, it's essentially a short shift kit, no?

The guy selling it says he's going to the OEM SSK. My understanding is that the Boxster S already has a slightly shorter throw than the base Boxster, and I've seen threads that people who got he SSK either really liked it or the extra effort left them a bit cold. I imagine a lot has to do with installation and the driver's prior experience on whether it's a good thing or a bad thing.

I have some comparison, since I also own a 981 CGTS. The throws in the GTS are what I believe you get if you took the 987 shift and threw in a well-developed SSK. They are crisper and a bit shorter than on the 987. That being said, I don't find the 987 shift at all objectionable, and the clutch is quite a bit lighter.Now I know why they kept calling it a hairdresser's car!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
It's not a short shifter. It uses the factory length but tightens up the accuracy (the factory shifter is sloppy). If you were just using your Box on the street, it would not be a necessary upgrade, but helps you avoid the 5-2 (money) downshift during DEs.

I have the soln on my CSS and not on my LE. On the street, I don't notice any difference between the two. I do notice a difference on the track between the old factory vs the shift right. On the street, you have the extra mili-seconds to be accurate when downshifting. On the track, there's a lot of stuff to process and your focus may be somewhere else than on your shifter. The soln gets you into the proper gear with less attn required. You also need to factor in the plastic bushings in your Box are 10 yrs old. The soln replaces them with solid aluminum.

If I was to prioritize the soln vs the other suggestions, I'd put it 3rd behind the sump baffle and spin-on filter. Don't know what your track mod budget is, so you might need to prioritize (although these 3 are not budget busters). You could run a few DEs before "needing" the soln. Don't know what tracks you plan to run. I drive on 3 different tracks where I do a 5-4-3-2 series of downshifts (why do they put the slowest corner after the longest straight?). If I do a 5-2 shift, all that other stuff is worthless.

Something else for track duty: buy an extra AOS and take it with you to the track. Cheap insurance in case your AOS shoots craps during the weekend.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
looks like an interesting car! all you need is some chequered stickers for the trunk/doors/fenders to complete the look.

I hear good things about AD08 tyres - let us know how they stack up.
:drivingskid:

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I did mine 3 yrs ago. I'm pretty sure it is an EBS, which can be purchased thru Pelican. It was supposed to be plug and play, but needed some modifications to clear some internal bolt heads. Other companies (LN and Tarett) also sell replacement baffles. I have not done the sump extension.

I have done a spin-on oil filter from LN. There are 2 advantages: 1) oil does not bypass the filter at start-up, and 2) a metal filter will survive any agricultural runs that may occur during a DE better than a plastic canister.
This is a good one, Ha, ha!

I also looked at Functions First, looks like it is well engineered, not much for the 981, but I understand that not many will building a Spec Boxster from a 981 just yet...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.