Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

after having missed it when it was launched, after a long search, I fiinally got my hands on a Spyder...
She is GT Silver, 2000 km, and has the specs I always dreamt of.

Any recommendation on maintenance, attention points, etc...is more than welcome!

Here she is...alone in a parking lot and in the garage with her "older sister"

Attachments

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Nice. GT Silver rocks...especially on a Spyder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your messages...

I was writing to some friends who were curious about the new toy...and I thought of sharing my impressions...here they are.
The car is still breaking in and I'm still beginning to know her....so my judgement is still preliminary.

Configuration is very close to my dream spec:

Color: GT silver - I have to say that while I initially loved the white, but as time goes on, I start appreciating the grey hue as well...it is more of a timeless color.

Wheels: in general terms I’m not a fan of non silver alloys, so I’m very happy with the configuration. I put a nanoceramic coat on …it works!!!!.

Seats and Steering wheel: Both amazing, with the second taken straight from the 918. For the buckets, no heigh/back adjustment, but still, amazingly comfortable. Despite the lack of adjustments, the rails are mounted in a way (the seat moves significantly upwards going forward) which allows people of different heights to find easily a good seating position (my wife was very happy with it as well). The wheel is very small and covered with Alcantara; no buttons nor switches. Very good!

Other standard features: Limited slip differential, active engine mounts, torque vectoring, Sport Chrono pack, Sport exhaust, Xenon lights.

Other options: There is: Navigation System, interior light package, alarm, Dynamic cornering lights, automatic high lights, upgraded stereo, 2-zone automatic clima, leather cover for the dashboard, leather cover for the doors, Alcantara cover for the sun visors, silver stitching, silver door straps, silver safety belts, painted roll bars, cruise control (you may think it is nonsense, but actually I use it a lot) and the Bluetooth connectivity. I also considered adding the rear view camera, but I didn’t. I however realised that the rear visibility is quite poor, so I bought a small WiFi camera (20 euro) which I installed at the back. It connects to the IPhone and it seems to work relatively well. I’m considering to install another one at the front as the spoiler is definitely lower than any curb in town.

Look: all in all it looks very good - at least in my opinion. The very low nose has a more serious look vs the other Boxster/Cayman which really works well in combination with the big 20’ wheels. In the back, the humps on the boot are reducing the ‘boxy shape effect’ I never liked on the Boxster.
All in all, actually at first glance you may also think it is not a Boxster.

General observations: the overall quality seems to be very high. All the body panels fit very well and the interiors (also probably thanks to the all-leather configuration) look premium. Switches are high quality and the overall feeling is that they took the good base of the 997 generation and further improved it.
The fabric cover is very basic; it takes some time to open it, let us say that it is a bit Duetto style. It is a single layer and when seated inside you can see all the mechanisms and ropes which operate it. The process to lock/unlock the fins in not straight forward: all in all a sudden summer shower could easily be difficult to manage ;-)
The aluminum boot lid is huge and when you open it, the top edge goes 2 meters high. The opening mechanism looks complicated as it moves backwards while rotating up...the overall feeling is that for sure it is very light but it is also a bit delicate and flimsy.

Driving position: as I said, despite the seats limited adjustments, thanks to the very good ergonomics, it is easy for me to feel very at ease. The cabin looks wider than the 997 and maybe is wider (here I should check as the overall width is 1800 mm vs 1850 of the 997, but the 997 is much wider in the back while the 981 is more of a rectangle).
Front visibility is quite good while driving, while it is a bit problematic during parking maneuvers (as I said, the mini plastic window in the back is key-hole sized).
Pedals are well aligned with the steering-seat line. The gear lever is VERY short and the throws are very short too. A bit like the 997 (which has the short shifter it), but probably less contrasted.

Now that we are done with the static part, let us move on with the dynamics..
The engine wakes up with a big (!) roar: the exhaust lines are all open when the 3.8 wakes up. The DFI has very little inertia and it takes (and loses) RPMs with brio. Here the gap with the Mezger is visible.
Torque is decent, with a very good crescendo up to 4000-4200 RPM (I didn’t push more as the car is still breaking-in), but the 700Nm of the 997tt are a different league. Here the the gap with the Mezger is visible as well, but in the opposite direction.
Soundtrack? Truly amazing. If you open the exhaust pipes, the engine sound becomes loud, and powerful: deep and gloomy up to 3000 to become very loud, more metallic and sharp afterwards. The soundtrack is completed by some nice crackles during overrun. All in all, probably the best sounding car I’ve ever heard (Yes Marc, even better than your Exige F1).
Clutch is a bit more masculine than the 997, with a very good feedback (on the 997 it is probability too soft and vague), while the break pedal is ultra sensitive (I remember this very clearly also from the test we did in Chantilly some time ago)
Strangely enough while driving around at low speed the engine gives the strange sensation of being capable to pull forward the car no-matter what gear you are (Raymond, you may remember this from the tt…)
The steering is very direct (I understand that it is the most direct Porsche has on stock, even more direct than the one installed on the GT4) and it contributes a lot to the rewarding razor sharp feeling you get when driving around (even at low speed). Steering feedback? The hydraulic unit on the 997tt is more talkative, but is much better than the one on the standard Boxster and of the 991.1 I tried.
Here we approach the best part of the story: the handling. The overall feeling is that of going back to the old Elise but with 3 times the power.
Lively, sharp, communicative, neutral, flat, precise, compact, agile. The combination of the direct steering, flat suspension and low momentum of inertia is exhilarating in the bends. At this stage I do not have enough confidence to give a more detailed opinion, but it looks very promising. More will come in the future

The comparison with the 997: Difficult exercise. All in all I think I know the Spyder too little (still breaking in and I haven’t used it yet with the top down) ;-)
Let’s go in order:
- Design: no winner - the Spyder has a beautiful nose and is probably more balanced (and obviously modern), but some design cues of the 911, especially the wide back and the massive rear arches remain quite appealing and unique
- Interior quality: they both win (the 911 has 12 years and it still is in amazing conditions)
- Steering: despite the lower feedback, the Spyder wins; it requires some time to get used to the hyper-direct ratio, but all in all is more precise. When taking back the 911, especially at motorway speed, I had for the very first time a feeling of vagueness…(the Spyder really spoils you from this point of view)
- Brakes; I think the 997 wins. Both are VERY effective, but the tt is more manageable (the Spyder is a bit too brutal in biting the disks at the slightest pressure).
- Gearbox: Spyder wins (with a question mark). Both units are very precise, but the 911 has the short shifter which maybe makes the throws too short and sometimes hard. The Spyder is smoother and ‘easier’ to use. The question mark is due to the superlong gearing…in 2nd you can get to c.130km/h (!!!!) - I suspect that this is more that what the tt can do with 700 Nm vs. 420 Nm….I have to check!
- Engine: difficult to judge so far: i know the DFI only up to 4500 RPM and I have a "Cobbed" Mezger. The DFI revs with no inertia, is very reactive and has an amazing sound (winning over the tt on all these points), but the torque is divided by 2 (!!!). I have to get to know better the DFI at high revs and then I’ll be giving a more fair judgement. My guess is that they are both exceptional units, simply very different (opposite?) …. then it becomes purely personal preference (and I think I stand more on the tt side).
- Handling: again very different animals - the Spyder plays with you in a probably more predictable way, while the 911 requires more attention. The Spyder feels more effective and much more neutral in bends (no understeer in and little oversteer out), but I have to say I got used to the 911 personality and all in all I like it as well. To be honest, when I get out from the Spyder and I take the 911, I feel like I’m going back home (the only really disappointing thing is the excessive softness of the clutch)

·
Registered
246 Posts
I must say that GT Silver is very nice looking. I've seen these in Agate Grey and don't care for it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Thanks for your messages...

I was writing to some friends who were curious about the new toy...and I thought of sharing my impressions...here they are.
The car is still breaking in and I'm still beginning to know her....so my judgement is still preliminary.

Configuration is very close to my dream spec:

Color: GT silver - I have to say that while I initially loved the white, but as time goes on, I start appreciating the grey hue as well...it is more of a timeless color.

Wheels: in general terms I’m not a fan of non silver alloys, so I’m very happy with the configuration. I put a nanoceramic coat on …it works!!!!.

Seats and Steering wheel: Both amazing, with the second taken straight from the 918. For the buckets, no heigh/back adjustment, but still, amazingly comfortable. Despite the lack of adjustments, the rails are mounted in a way (the seat moves significantly upwards going forward) which allows people of different heights to find easily a good seating position (my wife was very happy with it as well). The wheel is very small and covered with Alcantara; no buttons nor switches. Very good!

Other standard features: Limited slip differential, active engine mounts, torque vectoring, Sport Chrono pack, Sport exhaust, Xenon lights.

Other options: There is: Navigation System, interior light package, alarm, Dynamic cornering lights, automatic high lights, upgraded stereo, 2-zone automatic clima, leather cover for the dashboard, leather cover for the doors, Alcantara cover for the sun visors, silver stitching, silver door straps, silver safety belts, painted roll bars, cruise control (you may think it is nonsense, but actually I use it a lot) and the Bluetooth connectivity. I also considered adding the rear view camera, but I didn’t. I however realised that the rear visibility is quite poor, so I bought a small WiFi camera (20 euro) which I installed at the back. It connects to the IPhone and it seems to work relatively well. I’m considering to install another one at the front as the spoiler is definitely lower than any curb in town.

Look: all in all it looks very good - at least in my opinion. The very low nose has a more serious look vs the other Boxster/Cayman which really works well in combination with the big 20’ wheels. In the back, the humps on the boot are reducing the ‘boxy shape effect’ I never liked on the Boxster.
All in all, actually at first glance you may also think it is not a Boxster.

General observations: the overall quality seems to be very high. All the body panels fit very well and the interiors (also probably thanks to the all-leather configuration) look premium. Switches are high quality and the overall feeling is that they took the good base of the 997 generation and further improved it.
The fabric cover is very basic; it takes some time to open it, let us say that it is a bit Duetto style. It is a single layer and when seated inside you can see all the mechanisms and ropes which operate it. The process to lock/unlock the fins in not straight forward: all in all a sudden summer shower could easily be difficult to manage ;-)
The aluminum boot lid is huge and when you open it, the top edge goes 2 meters high. The opening mechanism looks complicated as it moves backwards while rotating up...the overall feeling is that for sure it is very light but it is also a bit delicate and flimsy.

Driving position: as I said, despite the seats limited adjustments, thanks to the very good ergonomics, it is easy for me to feel very at ease. The cabin looks wider than the 997 and maybe is wider (here I should check as the overall width is 1800 mm vs 1850 of the 997, but the 997 is much wider in the back while the 981 is more of a rectangle).
Front visibility is quite good while driving, while it is a bit problematic during parking maneuvers (as I said, the mini plastic window in the back is key-hole sized).
Pedals are well aligned with the steering-seat line. The gear lever is VERY short and the throws are very short too. A bit like the 997 (which has the short shifter it), but probably less contrasted.

Now that we are done with the static part, let us move on with the dynamics..
The engine wakes up with a big (!) roar: the exhaust lines are all open when the 3.8 wakes up. The DFI has very little inertia and it takes (and loses) RPMs with brio. Here the gap with the Mezger is visible.
Torque is decent, with a very good crescendo up to 4000-4200 RPM (I didn’t push more as the car is still breaking-in), but the 700Nm of the 997tt are a different league. Here the the gap with the Mezger is visible as well, but in the opposite direction.
Soundtrack? Truly amazing. If you open the exhaust pipes, the engine sound becomes loud, and powerful: deep and gloomy up to 3000 to become very loud, more metallic and sharp afterwards. The soundtrack is completed by some nice crackles during overrun. All in all, probably the best sounding car I’ve ever heard (Yes Marc, even better than your Exige F1).
Clutch is a bit more masculine than the 997, with a very good feedback (on the 997 it is probability too soft and vague), while the break pedal is ultra sensitive (I remember this very clearly also from the test we did in Chantilly some time ago)
Strangely enough while driving around at low speed the engine gives the strange sensation of being capable to pull forward the car no-matter what gear you are (Raymond, you may remember this from the tt…)
The steering is very direct (I understand that it is the most direct Porsche has on stock, even more direct than the one installed on the GT4) and it contributes a lot to the rewarding razor sharp feeling you get when driving around (even at low speed). Steering feedback? The hydraulic unit on the 997tt is more talkative, but is much better than the one on the standard Boxster and of the 991.1 I tried.
Here we approach the best part of the story: the handling. The overall feeling is that of going back to the old Elise but with 3 times the power.
Lively, sharp, communicative, neutral, flat, precise, compact, agile. The combination of the direct steering, flat suspension and low momentum of inertia is exhilarating in the bends. At this stage I do not have enough confidence to give a more detailed opinion, but it looks very promising. More will come in the future

The comparison with the 997: Difficult exercise. All in all I think I know the Spyder too little (still breaking in and I haven’t used it yet with the top down) ;-)
Let’s go in order:
- Design: no winner - the Spyder has a beautiful nose and is probably more balanced (and obviously modern), but some design cues of the 911, especially the wide back and the massive rear arches remain quite appealing and unique
- Interior quality: they both win (the 911 has 12 years and it still is in amazing conditions)
- Steering: despite the lower feedback, the Spyder wins; it requires some time to get used to the hyper-direct ratio, but all in all is more precise. When taking back the 911, especially at motorway speed, I had for the very first time a feeling of vagueness…(the Spyder really spoils you from this point of view)
- Brakes; I think the 997 wins. Both are VERY effective, but the tt is more manageable (the Spyder is a bit too brutal in biting the disks at the slightest pressure).
- Gearbox: Spyder wins (with a question mark). Both units are very precise, but the 911 has the short shifter which maybe makes the throws too short and sometimes hard. The Spyder is smoother and ‘easier’ to use. The question mark is due to the superlong gearing…in 2nd you can get to c.130km/h (!!!!) - I suspect that this is more that what the tt can do with 700 Nm vs. 420 Nm….I have to check!
- Engine: difficult to judge so far: i know the DFI only up to 4500 RPM and I have a "Cobbed" Mezger. The DFI revs with no inertia, is very reactive and has an amazing sound (winning over the tt on all these points), but the torque is divided by 2 (!!!). I have to get to know better the DFI at high revs and then I’ll be giving a more fair judgement. My guess is that they are both exceptional units, simply very different (opposite?) …. then it becomes purely personal preference (and I think I stand more on the tt side).
- Handling: again very different animals - the Spyder plays with you in a probably more predictable way, while the 911 requires more attention. The Spyder feels more effective and much more neutral in bends (no understeer in and little oversteer out), but I have to say I got used to the 911 personality and all in all I like it as well. To be honest, when I get out from the Spyder and I take the 911, I feel like I’m going back home (the only really disappointing thing is the excessive softness of the clutch)
Thanks for the more detailed review, I found myself reading it for the second time, thinking about what you said and reading your impressions of both the static and dynamic qualities of the Spyder again. I have a 2016 GTS, at the time I could not envision the manual top as I was driving my GTS every day in situations where the top might get operated3-4 times in the day, the power top on the Boxster is incredible and with the SmartTop module virtually automatic so it suited my needs exactly, now however and looking towards the possible introduction on the next Spyder, I think that because my usage for the car has changed I could actually live with a manual top...

So I have a question, noise with the top up, my Boxster top has sound insulation, a magnesium forward panel and an inner liner, all of which not only blocks sound out but also prevents it from becoming a 'drum skin' in the wind, what are your thoughts about the inner cabin experience when the top is up, because as we know it does rain and it will need to be up at times! ;)

As for the rear vision, and that very low front spoiler, take note of my avatar photo, my car has the Spyder nose and GT4 lip, yes very low and out back just about as bad as the Spyder for parking... so I would recommend that front camera, I actually installed both front and back cameras that show up on the PCM screen, I can say that without a doubt these are saving me from some very expensive parking faux-pas!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Noise with the top up is more than acceptable - at least for me. I manage to listen to the radio and have normal conversation, even at Motorway speed. Actually the noise mostly comes from the engine/exhaust, while the aerodynamic one is moderate.

Can you tell me more about how you connected the cameras to the PCM? This is super interesting!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I scrape my nose everywhere especially with the GT4 lip. Wasn't a problem with the Spyder lip. Rear view backup camera is a must.

I took my Spyder to the race track before I hit 1500 miles haha. Car is great on the road but amazing on the track. I could do with more power though. The gearing is so long that even pedal to the floor the car takes too long to wind up and hit red line. That's about the only complaint I would have about my Spyder. It's damn near a perfect car.

Car by default is set up for massive understeer. Had to get a suspension setup done to dial that out. Also when braking super hard from 140 down to like 40 the rear will fishtail. Definitely room for improvement. I hope they have dialed out the limitations that were present in the 981 Spyder from the 718 Spyder. Hoping that rumored 50 hp boost will fix the straight line performance too. Oh and be weary of your 3rd gear. Chances are you could lose it but Porsche should cover you.

Welcome to the Spyder ownership! It's a blast I tell you!

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Noise with the top up is more than acceptable - at least for me. I manage to listen to the radio and have normal conversation, even at Motorway speed. Actually the noise mostly comes from the engine/exhaust, while the aerodynamic one is moderate.

Can you tell me more about how you connected the cameras to the PCM? This is super interesting!

Edoval, thanks for your reply about the top, as I mentioned, back in 2016 this was the concern that prompted me to buy the GTS, now with the opportunity to revisit this decision I am seriously considering a Spyder!

So in a nut shell, NAV-TV makes a module that interfaces to the PCM, with this I could add two camera's to the car, the reverse is activated automatically when you select that gear, the forward camera can be selected with the rear defogger switch when the top is up, both can be set up to be selectable anytime with an external switch. For this install I bought aftermarket cameras from Amazon and they have been working perfectly for the past few years.

I suggest you read the following short thread about this product, all of my pictures and details are they include installation. Also as you will see by a post by @noddy he has a GT4 and there was some catch about front camera selection with the NAV-TV he has and he is in communication with the NAV-TV folks about this, I suggest you confirm that their module will work with your 2016 Spyder before purchase.

https://www.planet-9.com/981-diy-discussion/114895-cayman-roofcam-rear-vision-solved.html#post1004783

·
Registered
101 Posts
I however realised that the rear visibility is quite poor, so I bought a small WiFi camera (20 euro) which I installed at the back. It connects to the IPhone and it seems to work relatively well. I’m considering to install another one at the front as the spoiler is definitely lower than any curb in town.

NB, you might want to consider a FenSens parking plate sensor. Bluetooth not wifi (quicker, and always connected vs wifi that would you need to "swap" in and out of). Caveat, not a camera, but the beep-beep style. Pro, easier to install! https://fensens.com/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At isthar: thanks for the suggestion: I also considered the numberplate with the the parking sensors, but I have them on another vehicle and they only cover the center of the car, so I tend to prefer the camera.

At Westcoaster: I had a quick look at your post....amazing job. I considered putting the original Porsche camera, but they asked me big money at the local P. dealer (1.5K).
The small WiFi toy I’m have is not ideal but it is amazingly cheap and I managed to install it without drilling any hole in the bumper (the cables exit from one the screw holes originally made for the numberplate).
Still the temptation for the solution your have is huge and it may be on my to-do list (probably after putting a clear bra all over the car).

At digitalrurouni: fully agree with you on long gears...actually -just for reference- I checked the max speed of my 997 tt in 2nd gear, and guess what? 114 kph vs the 135 of the Spyder (and the tt has 260 Nm more!). Nonsense.
Concerning the 3rd gear: is it such a common issue? I heard that there is an alternative 3rd gear wheel which could replace the original...any info?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
At isthar: thanks for the suggestion: I also considered the numberplate with the the parking sensors, but I have them on another vehicle and they only cover the center of the car, so I tend to prefer the camera.

At Westcoaster: I had a quick look at your post....amazing job. I considered putting the original Porsche camera, but they asked me big money at the local P. dealer (1.5K).
The small WiFi toy I’m have is not ideal but it is amazingly cheap and I managed to install it without drilling any hole in the bumper (the cables exit from one the screw holes originally made for the numberplate).
Still the temptation for the solution your have is huge and it may be on my to-do list (probably after putting a clear bra all over the car).

At digitalrurouni: fully agree with you on long gears...actually -just for reference- I checked the max speed of my 997 tt in 2nd gear, and guess what? 114 kph vs the 135 of the Spyder (and the tt has 260 Nm more!). Nonsense.
Concerning the 3rd gear: is it such a common issue? I heard that there is an alternative 3rd gear wheel which could replace the original...any info?
You know about the 3rd gear issue I don't think its that common and majority of the failures I have seen reported were in the GT4. And a lot of them track them frequently. I have tracked my Spyder 4 times but nowhere near as the other GT4 owners who are track rats. I think we are probably safe!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts