Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this isn't as bad as the other post where the guy's GTS order didn't actually have an allocation, but apparently Porsche changed my interior choice on the Cayman GTS that is supposed to be being built for me right now - without notifying me or the SA, from what my SA says!

Here's the story.

I placed my order for my Cayman GTS back on May 8th. This is through one of the larger dealers in the SF bay area, and through one of the SAs that people generally seem to have had a good experience with.
Anyway, I didn't really want the GTS interior - my current 370Z interior is mostly black leather + something alcantara-like, with white deviated stitching, and I wanted something a lot different. I ordered and had confirmed the agate/amber interior. My SA noted that most of the interior choices, including that one, were being discontinued at the end of July, but that my build wouldn't have any issues since it would be done by then (since I'm picking it up for ED in Sept, and the factory is pretty much closed in August.)

A few days ago, as part of my obsessive/compulsive behavior, I was looking at my config again, and I noticed there was a few hundred dollar price discrepancy between the configurator and my Excel calculation for the exact same options. I sent my comparison to my SA, who responded with the current prices shown on my build in his system, and I noticed my Agate/Amber interior (plus ventilated seats, carbon fiber center console + trim, white dials, and white sport chrono) was gone and replaced with the GTS interior in red!

The SA says he hadn't noticed these changes until I pointed them out, and he's "pissed" and has calls into people at Porsche. He says it shows the car's build has been rescheduled 8 times, probably while they were sorting out the interior items, and that the changes to the order were done by the factory itself. He's looking into it but doesn't think he'll have any responses till early next week. He will do "everything in his power" to get me agate/amber, but I'm not feeling a lot of confidence here.

I'm pretty pissed. If I hadn't been OCD about something and gotten a recent build sheet from him, it would have been quite a surprise when I picked my car up in September!

It looks like agate/luxor is the only 2 tone option available. I didn't love the luxor when I saw it - I really liked how the amber popped with the DBM exterior I've ordered. I'm really going to have to think about what interior I want, if I even have a choice in it at this point!:wall:

Pretty disappointed right now in my first Porsche ordering experience, I admit. :(

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Having ordered a CR, did you get a printed copy of your build sheet when you placed your order? If you have no documentation of what you ordered, then the plot thickens.

I wouldn't hesitate to move up the ladder to at least the sales manager, and the GM if necessary.

Good luck, and keep us up to date on how this plays out.

John

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
That's a nightmare!

The color of the exterior or interior is too personal and can be a deal breaker when buying a car, let along configuring it. I'm sorry to say this, but if were you, I'd cancel the order and ask for full refund.

·
Registered
734 Posts
If I hadn't been OCD about something and gotten a recent build sheet from him, it would have been quite a surprise when I picked my car up in September!

Where are you on that recent build sheet? Anything past V250/V260 and it is probably too late to make any changes.

I asked for a build sheet on week 1, soon after I placed my order for this exact reason. As a matter of fact, the dealership did mess up and optioned in heated steering wheel instead of the sport design wheel I had asked for. Fortunately the order hadn't locked in yet.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the comments.

"Build sheet" may be the wrong term for it... it looks like a copy/paste from the SA's system. It doesn't include the order status, so I don't know if it's in V250 or what. The first few lines of it looks like this:

Option Description Centre Text Importer Text Price
981140 Cayman GTS 75,200.00 USD
N4 Dark Blue Metallic 710.00 USD
BX Leather Interior in Agate Grey/Amber Orange 430.00 USD
[.....]

These are the first few lines from the email he sent me on May 8. Note the Agate/Amber interior option. He did ask me to respond in writing that the options were correct, which I did.
I emailed him in June just to make sure everything was on track with the build, and he assured me everything was fine. Looks to me like he didn't actually check in on anything then.

Today (July 3) I received a new copy/paste of the build:

981140 2016 N4N4GQ C02 A37378 5 USD
Pos. MTYP/Option Text Retail Price
1 981140 Cayman GTS 75,200.00
2 N4 Dark Blue Metallic 710.00
3 GQ Leather Interior in Black w/ Alcantara® incl. GTS Interior P 0.00
[....]

I responded immediately about the different interior, and he said he hadn't even noticed the change and immediately placed calls to contacts at Porsche Exclusive & somewhere else. He claims that when he looks at his system that the order was changed in May by someone not at the dealership, and that he never had any notification that things were modified.

I have a whole trip planned & booked around European Delivery to drive around Europe and end up at Oktoberfest. Canceling the order seems drastic, especially since it doesn't seem like there will be any more flat-6 CGTSs, which I really do have my heart set on.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
That really sucks! Like others said, the interior color is a major item to just change without consultation. Hopefully you still have time to change it and will get what you wanted. I don't think you can have vented seats with the GTS interior package. If you are able to change it, consider the Luxor beige/black combo with the DBM, but I may be biased

·
Registered
737 Posts
That's terrible. I hope your order has time and can be corrected fully, and if not, I echo the others in this thread and say you should cancel it, get a full refund, and never go back to that dealer again.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I echo what others have said, bottom line if it cannot be reconciled to your satisfaction I would cancel it.

That said, jeez I'm so sorry this happened to you. I don't subscribe to "everything happens for a reason" nonsense. However, one can usually draw meaning or benefit from nearly anything if one navel gazes deep enough. And maybe, just maybe, you actually end up with an even nicer car. Fingers crossed for the very best conclusion to this seemingly unfortunate situation.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
OMG

Do you realize this is an allocation error of sorts?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
981FTW, you're right, this really does seem to be an allocation error of sorts. I guess I was unfortunately prescient when I created this username many years ago! :eek:

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
981FTW, you're right, this really does seem to be an allocation error of sorts. I guess I was unfortunately prescient when I created this username many years ago! :eek:
<ctrl> <z> So presumably you're a C programmer?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<ctrl> <z> So presumably you're a C programmer?
Not anymore... I moved into the sales side of the world about 10 years ago. I haven't been creative enough to think up a new username, though!
Can't shake my nerdy side, regardless... so not sure if your ctrl-z is undoing something or suspending the current process :)

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Not anymore... I moved into the sales side of the world about 10 years ago.
Cool. I probably should have done a career change 10 years ago but don't really know how to leverage my skills into another role that I'd like and would pay well, so still a coder for now. Fortunately sill enjoy it.

I haven't been creative enough to think up a new username, though!
Hmmm, I got nothing, everything my brain produced was lame.

not sure if your ctrl-z is undoing something or suspending the current process :)
Tried to undo unfortunate consequences of the past, like prescient usernames.

Reactions: mallocfailure

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
This situation truly sucks. I'd be rattling cages as far up the food chain as required until I got a resolution that I was happy with. It sounds like taking a car with a different interior than you ordered isn't in the cards: let everyone know in every conversation that a red GTS interior is a no-go, and this is a screw-up that needs to be made right. I suggest, however, that you determine two or three options going into the process that you would be happy with if they can't build you the car you ordered...If I was in your shoes that would be along the lines of 1) alternate Porsche of your choice at dealer cost, 2) a GT4 allocation at MSRP. In any case, if you need to cancel your ED trip, I would ask the dealer and/or Porsche to cover any airline or hotel charges...alternatively, do the trip and ask Porsche to provide you with a car at no cost for the duration.

This is understandably a big deal to you (as it would be to almost most people)...but Porsche and/or the dealer can "fix" it (which may not mean getting you the car you originally wanted) in a heartbeat at no out-of-pocket cost to them. I'd try to stay uber-cool but be SUPER firm in all discussions. And the minute I saw any finger-pointing by the dealer that it was Porsche's screw-up, I'd point out that the SA and the dealer are the interface between the customer and Porsche and should have been on top of the process, even if they weren't automatically alerted to a change in configuration.

Ultimately, I think it helps going into a difficult situation like this with an expectation that it CAN be made right, and that you will be as happy or happier with the outcome. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Well... I'd say the chances of you getting it straightened out such that you get what you ordered are going to be nil. That sucks, but just as you described, it kinda sounds like they tried and tried to make it happen and then figured out the materials just weren't coming and switched it on you. That's where the whole process went VERY wrong as I can't imagine any scenario where the logical next choice from Agate/Amber is the Black/Red GTS interior. I mean... it's nice.... but they're hardly interchangeable!!

So... accepting that they're not building any more Agate/Amber and there's nothing you'll be able to do about that... I'd like to at least say that Black/Luxor will look really good in there. Not quite as good as the Agate/Amber would have been... but it's not going to suck. I absolutely love it in my Guards Red. I also would have ordered Agate/Amber with DBM... but in your circumstances, I'd take the Black/Luxor and hope they'd give you some money back or something to make it worth the hassle.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
threads like this make me nervous about my order... which dealer/SA did you order from?
Brett @ Sonnen in Mill Valley.

I had asked in early June about the status of my order, making sure it was all on track... he assured me everything was fine then. Considering the order apparently was changed sometime in May, I have to assume he didn't actually check the status very carefully... so I encourage you to make sure your SA really does make sure things are all proceeding normally!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well... I'd say the chances of you getting it straightened out such that you get what you ordered are going to be nil. That sucks, but just as you described, it kinda sounds like they tried and tried to make it happen and then figured out the materials just weren't coming and switched it on you. That's where the whole process went VERY wrong as I can't imagine any scenario where the logical next choice from Agate/Amber is the Black/Red GTS interior. I mean... it's nice.... but they're hardly interchangeable!!

So... accepting that they're not building any more Agate/Amber and there's nothing you'll be able to do about that... I'd like to at least say that Black/Luxor will look really good in there. Not quite as good as the Agate/Amber would have been... but it's not going to suck. I absolutely love it in my Guards Red. I also would have ordered Agate/Amber with DBM... but in your circumstances, I'd take the Black/Luxor and hope they'd give you some money back or something to make it worth the hassle.
Thanks, Weasel. I do think black/luxor is probably the (distant) second place for me to agate/amber, but I definitely just feel disappointed at the moment, rather than excited as I did before.

I did order a lot of carbon fiber bits on my original build, so maybe that's why they felt the GTS interior was interchangeable? I should stop trying to figure out their thought process.:wall:

We'll see what the dealer comes back with, hopefully soon....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Brett @ Sonnen in Mill Valley.
He's my SA too.. I asked for an update a month ago and he said there was no update on my order. I'm sure he's real busy as a lot of folks go to him. I put in my order late March and all the info I got is below. Not even sure if its locked or not.. I just order the standard black interior so won't get the same issue as you, but I don't understand how some people are putting in order later and getting build dates before me.. Oh well.

V260
Vehicle entry to body shop (CP 0.0)
07/17/2015
V270
Vehicle exit production (CP 7.8)
08/21/2015
V300
Vehicle completion (CP 8.0)
08/21/2015
V331
Entry port Emden
08/28/2015