Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 99 2.5 was dropped off to premier race fab shop last week. Windsheild is being cut off, dash removed completely and relpaced by small aluminum plate holding gauge panel, will put a small fiberglass windscreen in place of the windshield. Then building traditional production like cage similar to SCCA production class cages like the Miata pictured below.

·
Caymaniac
5,655 Posts
My 99 2.5 was dropped off to premier race fab shop last week. Windsheild is being cut off, dash removed completely and relpaced by small aluminum plate holding gauge panel, will put a small fiberglass windscreen in place of the windshield. Then building traditional production like cage similar to SCCA production class cages.
How much will it weigh when all is said and done?

·
Registered
103 Posts
now that's what i want to see more of! i bet the boxsters would sweet with a chopped windscreen, too.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Since a Spec Boxter minimum weight is 2650#, this project is looking like BS to me.
That's with a driver. I know a couple of SPBOXs that need 50# of ballast and 1/4 tank of fuel to get to 2475# w/o a driver.

With a roll bar and door bars and not a full cage, no roof and reduced windscreen I can see a car getting to around 2300# reasonably.

After that one would need to replace the hood, doors, trunk, conv. top cover hatch and hardware with fiberglass, frp or carbon fiber, replace windshield/frame with polycarbonate flyscreen, pull the entire dash, replace the OEM wiring harness, 17 pound wheels, and who knows...2100 pounds? Pricey, but sounds like fun.

Then put a Gen II motor in it...ooohhh.

Phat B, sounds like a fantastic project, looking forward to seeing it progress, please keep posting.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
You guys are fun and some of you are not very creative! ..So lets compare Spec Box to a more production class like Boxster build.

You need to use full steel hoods not altered for Spec. I have fiberglass front hood and fiberglass rear decklid. -25 lbs or so. ...Bought front hood on ebay for $250

Spec cars use stock wheels and big heavy DOT tires. My 15x7 wheels with cantilever race slicks are about 12 to 15 lbs a corner lighter than a spec Boxster. Overall about 60 lbs lighter just in wheel and tires! Used 944 Phone dials cost me $50 each and used take off tires cost $75.

Spec boxsters have to use a top, mounting hardware and heavy steel convertible top cover. ...Those are gone on the production style Boxster build. 25 to 50 lbs lighter than spec. ...oooh starting to add up isnt it? ;) ....Didnt cost a thing. Actually make money back by selling top!

Cages in most spec cars are signficant and have to use heavier gauge to support extra weight of heavier car. My production style cage can be built from slightly thinner gauge tubing and design is more efficient as it doesnt need to conform to artificial limits of roof and windshield. More weight off from traditional spec build. Estimate 20 to 25 lbs lighter than spec cage.

Windshield, windshield frame, all structure supporting windshield and dash go bye bye on production style build. All spec cars have a dash and windshield. Thats at least an additional 75 lbs lighter than average spec car.:dance:

I plan to go with fiberglass fenders and door skins. Spec cars use stock steel body panels. That should get me to the promised land of 2000 lbs.

Take all the weight reductions from lightest spec car because I have done everything that lightest spec cars have done and more. No radiator fans, no fender skirting, all emisions equipment pulled, lightweight exhaust, cat delete, headers, lightwieght aluminum flywheel, no bumper structures, all heat shielding removed, single lightweight composite seat, headlight assemblies removed and replaced with CF covers.

..and I havent even started on cutting away non functional sheetmetal that spec cars cant touch.

Suspect my first round will be somewhere between 2100 to 2200lbs but I wont stop there.

My engine choice is up in the air. Looking at a vareity of things from 275 HP big bore made from my existing 2.5 or 99 3.4 transplant or even possibly a V8 conversion. But at 2100 lbs even stock 200 HP will make the car scoot.

The car isnt going to be real pretty but it will be fast. My intent is to show Boxsters can be made into fast race cars without spending a fortune.

Here's the donor car prior to surgery.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
PCA's Panorama mag had an article a few years back on a superlight 911 that was under 2000#, IIRC. Had a flat fan engine in it, tuned to under 400hp and was road licensed. In light of that, Phat B's target weight sounds very achievable.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ugly iphone sneak preview pic on progress. I'll take some nice pics when its finnished.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Ugly iphone sneak preview pic on progress. I'll take some nice pics when its finnished.
Nice cage. :cheers:

Check out the Boxster getting an LS1 motor over on the boxster spec site, it actually *sorta* fits. :naughty:

·
Caymaniac
5,655 Posts
Looks like a show car. Get rid of some that bling. :crazy:

·
Registered
103 Posts
can you fit any of the dash back in? or are you going to have to fabricate new dash pieces?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
can you fit any of the dash back in? or are you going to have to fabricate new dash pieces?
No dash required in Hillclimb, TT and AX classes I run. I'm just installing a windscreen from a 914 over the instrament pod which connects to the rollcage. One of those pics shos the pod bolted to the cage. Its sort of cool how that pod comes out in one self contained piece! I thought I would have to have an aluminum dash piece made until we pulled that pod out.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Nice cage. :cheers:

Check out the Boxster getting an LS1 motor over on the boxster spec site, it actually *sorta* fits. :naughty:
Do you have a link? I cannot find it.

What I have never understood is why cam-in-block motors don't get more respect. I guess it's because we always harp on HP per liter. If instead we were enthused by HP per pound of engine weight, or HP per exterior dimensions of engine, we'd be VERY impressed with the current crop of cam-in-block motors. They are very powerful, very light and very compact....

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As I understand it issues are with accessories such as water pumps etc on front of motor not allowing clearance. The LS! has been mated to Boxster transmission no issue.

There are some solutions being worked on. I was considering an LS1 V8 for my car. If I had tons of money the Cayenne V8 would be my choice!

More likely a 3.4 or 3.6 996 motor will find its way into my car.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts