Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put mine next to my friend who has the stock. Mine was brighter and looked nicer. Its bright white with tint of blue looiks so nice and better then stock.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Do you mean next to stock halogen or are you meaning against factory xenons?

I hate driving cars with halogen lights on at night these days, but probably because I have got used to my 3 cars having xenons, 2 of which are OEM and the other retrofit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Why would they require pcm? no mine doesnt have the pcm unit.

Both the color we both had them on he has the stock bi xenon . Mine also was brighter the distance of the light traveled longer.
Install took 30-40 minutes. Good spot to use the mounter that came with the ballast. Was shared a bolt so it was a perfect clean install.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why would they require pcm? no mine doesnt have the pcm unit.
I know of a few people in the UK which have had issues with certain HID kits , where only one bulb would turn on. People found that there was no issue with the same kits if the car had PCM installed. :confused:

Thanks for the information , at least now I know that I can get a HID kit to work with my car :cheers:

JD

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah these cars seriously should come stock with hid don't know why its an option. When you see Nissan and auras come stock. But glad I found a good backup.Also anyone looking to buy a kit never buy the slim ballasts. I had problem with my last car and I know multiple people have problems after like 9-10 months the ballast start overheating ALOT to stay away from slim ones.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Did you have to drill any holes, etc. Is the installation basically plug and go?
I assume you replaced the H7 low beams. Any light errors on start up or
flickering?

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Just ordered the pricey Philips 4300K H7 low beam kit for my car. Will put in in next weekend I hope.
:banana:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Note that these HID kits don't come with the new reflectors the factory Litronics do nor, more importantly, the auto-leveling system.

In almost every case, replacing a halogen bulb with an HID kit will yield an illegally bright headlight or one with an illegal beam pattern. :(

·
Registered
109 Posts
Note that these HID kits don't come with the new reflectors the factory Litronics do nor, more importantly, the auto-leveling system.

In almost every case, replacing a halogen bulb with an HID kit will yield an illegally bright headlight or one with an illegal beam pattern. :(
In what ways is it too bright or the wrong pattern to be legal.

I took a quick look at my (WA) State's requirements. The law (RCW) is not too helpful. They refer to SAE and FMVSS. The latter seems to be antiquated, referring to standards set in the 60's and 80's.

I would think sticking to a 6000K bulb would be safest, maybe a 8000K, since those might not be 'blue' enough to attract attention. Some of the HID bulbs have a blue coating, which is a no-no according to statute, but I'm not sure that can be seen behind the lens. Another issue is that the high beam light is supposed to be the same color as the low.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
In what ways is it too bright or the wrong pattern to be legal.

I took a quick look at my (WA) State's requirements. The law (RCW) is not too helpful. They refer to SAE and FMVSS. The latter seems to be antiquated, referring to standards set in the 60's and 80's.

I would think sticking to a 6000K bulb would be safest, maybe a 8000K, since those might not be 'blue' enough to attract attention. Some of the HID bulbs have a blue coating, which is a no-no according to statute, but I'm not sure that can be seen behind the lens. Another issue is that the high beam light is supposed to be the same color as the low.
As the reflector is not designed for spreading the HID light type it can reflect wrongly and dazzle other road users, but also can spread or focus the light more dependent on the reflector and the lens (on some cars). The self levlling system is also required to prevent dazzling of other drivers, as are washers, in Europe at least.

I've run a HID retrofit kit in my Audi for 4 years now without any issues, apart from it like to blow a fuse occasionally these days.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
FWIW the factory Xenons on my 2010 Cayman are the best headlights for nighttime highway use that I have personally experienced. Definitely done with halogen beams.:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.