Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share some pics of my 981 Cayman S build after 1 year of ownership. This is not a PTS car (PTS was not available until the latest gen of cars here) - it was originally black and I had it repainted along with installing the GT4 kit.

The photos are not all "up-to-date" and were just taken over time, so there will be some discrepancies in the appearance of the car :)

Current mods (in rough order of being done):
IPD plenum and GT3 throttle body
Ohlins R&T coilovers
Custom forged wheels from nine's forged (yes, the wheel fitment isn't for everyone haha)
GT4 kit (front bumper, diffuser, ducktail) - wing and side covers were intentionally omitted so as to not look as "poser" 馃槄
K&N air filters
Facelift side repeaters
Soul Performance valved exhaust
Yellow seat belts
GTS tail lights

More pics on my instagram: @icy981s

Registered
Very nice! Really love the color. I think it's great you kept the S badging and didn't do the rear spoiler. The front and rear end of that car are my favorite parts anyway.
Dislike the wheel fitment...but you already knew that was coming lol.

Question on your Ohlins R/T. Did you use the standard spring rate? Or drop down? Thoughts on it for street use?

Do you get the CEL w/ the IPD plenum? Sounds like some do, some don't and it's not dependent upon the ecu flash for the larger TB.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The car looks great! Are there a lot of 981s in HK? I didn't see any when I was there and I certainly was looking out for them. Your photography is great. Nice job!
There are a loooooooot of Porsches in general haha a 981 is quite peasant here

Very nice! Really love the color. I think it's great you kept the S badging and didn't do the rear spoiler. The front and rear end of that car are my favorite parts anyway.
Dislike the wheel fitment...but you already knew that was coming lol.

Question on your Ohlins R/T. Did you use the standard spring rate? Or drop down? Thoughts on it for street use?

Do you get the CEL w/ the IPD plenum? Sounds like some do, some don't and it's not dependent upon the ecu flash for the larger TB.
For the Ohlins - I just used the standard settings as we don't have any tracks here and I'm not that familiar with suspension settings. For street use I think it's okay but over rougher surfaces can be kinda crashy. At my current setting (which I think is a tad under the "recommended spec" in the manual) it feels similar to X73 in terms of comfort.

IPD plenum - no CEL. I haven't tuned the car (plan to do so if I eventually get headers down the line)

Looking fantastic! When I was in HK and Kowloon I didn't notice many, but I did see a few Porsche's. Lot's of Mercedes. We were in super tourist mode with our sights set on Lantau Island, Victoria Peak, etc.

If you have any questions on SOUL products, drop me an email or DM. [email protected]

Dave @ SOUL

I haven't tuned the car (plan to do so if I eventually get headers down the line)
Most good tunes will pick up meaningful power without headers since your throttle body doesn't open fully from the factory. They should have enough adaptation to accommodate headers as well. Softronic absolutely does. You don't need to re-tune with catted headers vs stock headers.

Dave @ SOUL

Administrator
What a great color and look! Zowie!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Most good tunes will pick up meaningful power without headers since your throttle body doesn't open fully from the factory. They should have enough adaptation to accommodate headers as well. Softronic absolutely does. You don't need to re-tune with catted headers vs stock headers.

Dave @ SOUL
I haven't decided on what route I'm going to go with tuning yet (not in a huge rush as I find the current level of power sufficient, and you don't get much gains from a NA car anyway) - I figured it'd make more sense to do headers as well and then just tune with that in mind?

very nice pics! looking good...low and sporty. any other plans with the car?
Might do headers and a tune sometime down the line, sway bars, maybe a newer steering wheel, different air filter, change caliper colour, maybe replace interior trim and just fixing up some general wear and tear...that's all I can think of off the top of my head lol

I don't really want to mess with control arms and such as I had suboptimal experiences doing so on a previous car with aggressive wheel fitment

Nice. It's my first time to see a stretched tire on a 981 but I think it's more for Honda, Mitsu, Subie, Toyota crowd. Just my 2c.
Haha yeah it's definitely not for everyone. Maybe next set of wheels I'll go for a more conventional aggressive fitment but for now I'm happy with how it looks :)

Premium Member
Love the color ... great mods!! car looks great ! no big spoiler? :) i think Techart Type 2 spoiler will look good...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Love the color ... great mods!! car looks great ! no big spoiler? :) i think Techart Type 2 spoiler will look good...
Haha not for now...trying not to invite too many "poser GT4" comments (especially from my real GT4 owning friends :ROFLMAO:). Plus it does look cleaner without the wing and a bit more unique - over here almost everyone who does the GT4 kit on a Cayman also adds some kind of wing, mine is the only one I've seen without a wing. Maybe in a few years

Plus it does look cleaner without the wing and a bit more unique
I love the ducktail look. The wing takes away from the curves of the rear 1/4 panels. The color really makes the shape pop!

Dave @ SOUL

Registered
Just wanted to share some pics of my 981 Cayman S build after 1 year of ownership. This is not a PTS car (PTS was not available until the latest gen of cars here) - it was originally black and I had it repainted along with installing the GT4 kit.

The photos are not all "up-to-date" and were just taken over time, so there will be some discrepancies in the appearance of the car :)

Current mods (in rough order of being done):
IPD plenum and GT3 throttle body
Ohlins R&T coilovers
Custom forged wheels from nine's forged (yes, the wheel fitment isn't for everyone haha)
GT4 kit (front bumper, diffuser, ducktail) - wing and side covers were intentionally omitted so as to not look as "poser" 馃槄
K&N air filters
Facelift side repeaters
Soul Performance valved exhaust
Yellow seat belts
GTS tail lights

More pics on my instagram: @icy981s

Absolutely beautiful! That must be a kick to drive around HK. Thanks for sharing!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts