Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i didnt think that you could manualy lift the rear spoiler while in motion ,but yesterday while on the motorway i must have accidentily hit the spoiler button while reaching for the air con temprature dial .i think i was probably diong less than 75mph when i did this but not sure ,after about 45min i pulled off the motorway and stopped in a layby ,and guess what the spoiler was up and i had to press the button to make it detract .i was under the impression that the spoiler would automatically deploy /detract and you could not overide this function ?am i right or not?,and by the way the amber light on the spoiler button was perminantly on the whole time .

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are you sure roger ?i thought that it detracted automatically below 54mph or something like that ,and the button was just so that you clean under the spoiler when stationary .so i could in theory run with the spoiler perminantly deployed at all speeds (not that i want to ),i just thought that i maybe had an electrical problem as i recall on numerous threads that people have said that this cannot be done ,i may bewrong though ,thanks anyway roger.

just one other question my amber light never illuminates when the spoiler activates automatically ,is this normal and how do i know if the spoiler is actually raising as you cannot see the thing from the drivers seat.

Edited by - raysman on 07/10/2006 02:09:40 AM

·
Registered
384 Posts
There is detail in the manual about this. You can set it in manual mode or automatic, and there is different behaviour depending how long and when you press the button. To be honest it has me a little stumped, so I suggest you read the manual and hopefully it makes sense.

·
Registered
274 Posts
HI raysman,

My tests indicates that the spoiler uses a simple logic based on speed. It extends when accelerating above 70-ish mph and retracts when decelerating below 50-ish mph. If the spoiler is activated manually below 50-ish mph it will stay extended until the speed above the 50-ish mph threshold is reached at which point the spoiler will retract when the speed decreases below 50-ish mph. If the spoiler is extended manually when above 50-ish mph, it will similarly retract when the speed decreases below the threshold. You must not have exceeded 50 mph after extending it manually and therefore it remained extended.

Correct, the amber light on the manual activation button only illuminates when the spoiler is activated manually. Father Porsche expects us to trust that the spoiler functions as required and as programmed by their engineers. Who are we to dictate when and even inquire verification of its function? /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/wink_smile.gif

·
Registered
267 Posts
The rear spoiler extends automatically above 75mph. You can manually extend/retract at any spead (recommend extending when washing) by pressing the button.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
silversled not possible that i was below 50mph for my whole journey for definate reached xxxmph as i always do ,by the way have just opened the manual at page 60 and it appears that what i have actually done is pressed the button briefly on start up which raised the spoiler manually and illuminated the led ,so you can drive all the time with the spoiler up ,ok i now understand that to switch back to auto you have to hold the button untill the led goes out but only between 0-20mph,after this a brief touch should set the spoiler back to auto.why does the led indicate that the spoiler is deployed in manual and not when it deploys in auto mode ?the manual also says that the onboard computer lights up if the spoiler does not extend properly over 75mph ,i never saw this so i must assume that its me and not a fault with the car,however i did touch the button when i noticed the led illuminated and nothing happened ?a bit worrying as the spoiler effects the stability of the car and i dont feel confident anymore that this function is working properly ,i wish you could see the damn thing raise up while on the move .i will get someone to follow me and confirm that it is functioning properly .a bit of a paraniod reacton i guess but once it happens i cant relax untill i know its ok ,very sad i know

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
HI raysman,

My tests indicates that the spoiler uses a simple logic based on speed. It extends when accelerating above 70-ish mph and retracts when decelerating below 50-ish mph. If the spoiler is activated manually below 50-ish mph it will stay extended until the speed above the 50-ish mph threshold is reached at which point the spoiler will retract when the speed decreases below 50-ish mph. If the spoiler is extended manually when above 50-ish mph, it will similarly retract when the speed decreases below the threshold. You must not have exceeded 50 mph after extending it manually and therefore it remained extended.

Correct, the amber light on the manual activation button only illuminates when the spoiler is activated manually. Father Porsche expects us to trust that the spoiler functions as required and as programmed by their engineers. Who are we to dictate when and even inquire verification of its function? /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/wink_smile.gif

Ha, great post!

It's pretty simple to follow: goes up automatically at 75 and retracts automatically at 50. OR use the manual switch to put it up or down when you want. Porsche advise that you don't leave the spoiler up when the car is not in use for long periods of time, as it can drain the battery?

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
silversled not possible that i was below 50mph for my whole journey for definate reached xxxmph as i always do ,by the way have just opened the manual at page 60 and it appears that what i have actually done is pressed the button briefly on start up which raised the spoiler manually and illuminated the led ,so you can drive all the time with the spoiler up ,ok i now understand that to switch back to auto you have to hold the button untill the led goes out but only between 0-20mph,after this a brief touch should set the spoiler back to auto.why does the led indicate that the spoiler is deployed in manual and not when it deploys in auto mode ?the manual also says that the onboard computer lights up if the spoiler does not extend properly over 75mph ,i never saw this so i must assume that its me and not a fault with the car,however i did touch the button when i noticed the led illuminated and nothing happened ?a bit worrying as the spoiler effects the stability of the car and i dont feel confident anymore that this function is working properly ,i wish you could see the damn thing raise up while on the move .i will get someone to follow me and confirm that it is functioning properly .a bit of a paraniod reacton i guess but once it happens i cant relax untill i know its ok ,very sad i know

Just drive at different speeds by a long office building with mirrored glass and take a photo as you drive by. Carefully.

/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/wink_smile.gif

·
Registered
248 Posts
. . . raysman, how long have you owned the car !?!?? LOL - RTFM !! ;o)

Dean

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well you would think that i would have automatically known what the problem was ,but i have only ever used that function for cleaning the spoiler and to be honest have you read page 60 in the owners manual ,it does not explain the functionality very well .the truth is that i had gained my knowledge of what it did on this forum and had convinced myself that the spoiler could never be permenantly deployed on the move and that it always reverts to auto mode ........very embarasing i know ....oh well i am wiser now

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
If your spoiler remains extended for longer than 4 hours, contact a doctor ...

·
Registered
245 Posts
The logic circuit on my 964 was that if the spoiler was deployed manually it would stay up unless you exceeded the auto deployment speed at which time it would revert to auto function. I suspect the Cayman to be similar.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts