Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 06 came w/o Sports chrono, and that split second delay when accelerating from a standstill in first gear always annoyed me. It felt like the ECU was driving the car for me and making decisions I prefer my right foot to make... because I can operate a clutch, thank you very much ;-)

Enter Sprint Booster, based on this forum's recommendation... I popped it in under 5 minutes thanks to K-man-S' write up on this forum.

Verdict: Hell, I don't know...

The thing definitely is *not snake oil*, it works, but maybe too well...
What I like, I really like: that split second delay is GONE.... I am in control of my gas pedal, not the ECU nanny. Touch it, it responds... That part is golden... For old timers, it's like going from a CIS 911 to a carburated one. Bam, touch the pedal, power. Instant.

The throttle mapping, OTOH, I'm not sure about... It *feels* like you are getting full throttle at 25% pressure of the pedal... Cool for a few minutes, but you loose the progressive nature of the thing... I'm sure that's not true, I've seen the chart, but it *felt* that way on my first drive... I may get used to it, my old 73 BMW 2002 was retrofitted with EFI and the throttle mapping is essentially an on-off switch. I got used to it in one week... Then again I don't track my 2002 ;-(

I *think* the Sprint booster could use a slightly gentler throttle map and keep that no-lag response, maybe the tiptronic version is gentler, as some posted...

For instance, first left turn from a stop, I "went" and lit up the rear tires... Unexpectedly... it's gonna take retraining of my right foot, I can do that, but I wonder if it's too much for situations where you need more finesse like on the track... A little too on-off... and 75% of the pedal travel totally wasted. I'm going to give myself a week and revisit this - if I'm still undecided I'll swap it for a tip version, assuming our sponsor still lets me ;-)

I really love the no-lag feature though !

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Took another drive... Yeah, too much neck snap when barely touching the pedal... My wife tried it (she can drive!), same comments... No lag is good, but it's too sensitive even in high gears....

So, does the tip version really mellow things down much? I think that could be the ticket for me because i am more interested in the no-lag than the throttle remap. I couldn't find a chart of tip vs. Manual booster, anybody knows where that is?

Please dont say Softronic (yet) I don't want to mess with an ECU reflash while under warranty...maybe later :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Deschodt - I have previously made a brief contribution to this topic in another thread and am happy to do so again here: On the same day I tried both the manual and tiptronic version of sprintbooster (for my 2.7MT) and decision to go with the tip version was a no-brainer, for me. And in terms of bang for your bucks benefits, I see this solution hard to beat.

I am quite an 'involved' driver and the poor throttle response was my biggest annoyance with my car, so after reading reviews on this forum the sprintbooster seemed like a cheap and easy solution to try. The workshop let me try both with no obligation for purchase, so I could approach the question of benefits totally objectively. So for me, the tip version felt spot on - to my reasoning it is exactly what the throttle response should be like out of the factory.

By contrast I agree with you that the manual version is just too sensitive - even for a very involved and sometime quite agressive driver like me. You are right, the progressive nature of the throttle is all but gone and it feels like you hit full throttle at maybe 25% pedal - even on the track this would make no sense to me, let alone the road. (just my view, of course)

I have read on these forums that there is a new switchable version available offering normal plus 2 levels of throttle mapping, but in the absence of that I would suggest to always go for the tiptronic version - I have enjoyed the difference so much I am questioning the need to go for an ECU retune as I had always planned to do at some stage (though obviously this may offer power gains where the sprintbooster just improves throttle response).

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've been seriously considering the sprint booster for my tiptronic '06 CS and am interested in your comment about ECU while under warranty. Are you saying that fitting the SB does not affect the warranty?

I have just renewed my warranty at a cost of US$ 1688/-. Prior to which I discussed the delay in throttle response with my OPC service manager. Basically he said there was nothing he could do to improve/remove the delay. I did not specifically ask about fitting a SB but in previous discussions he has indicated any mods( other than tequipment) would invalidate the warranty. I am therefore reluctant to do any mods as I truly value the warranty - even tho' I only have 15,000 miles on the car. If there is someone somewhere that can substantiate Porsche would not consider the fitting of a SB invalidates the warranty then I will go for one for the throttle response is the only bugbear I have about the car.

Please dont say Softronic (yet) I don't want to mess with an ECU reflash while under warranty...maybe later :)[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
I do not have Sprint Booster but based on what I've read, if your car needs warranty work, you can just remove the device and everything would be back to stock. It's only 5-10 minute swap. Hence there should be no reason they would deny warranty coverage.

-Moto

I've been seriously considering the sprint booster for my tiptronic '06 CS and am interested in your comment about ECU while under warranty. Are you saying that fitting the SB does not affect the warranty?

I have just renewed my warranty at a cost of US$ 1688/-. Prior to which I discussed the delay in throttle response with my OPC service manager. Basically he said there was nothing he could do to improve/remove the delay. I did not specifically ask about fitting a SB but in previous discussions he has indicated any mods( other than tequipment) would invalidate the warranty. I am therefore reluctant to do any mods as I truly value the warranty - even tho' I only have 15,000 miles on the car. If there is someone somewhere that can substantiate Porsche would not consider the fitting of a SB invalidates the warranty then I will go for one for the throttle response is the only bugbear I have about the car.

Please dont say Softronic (yet) I don't want to mess with an ECU reflash while under warranty...maybe later :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like MotoFanatic said, it's just a module that goes between the gas pedal electronic box and the wire harness. Unplug them in 5 minutes or less and nobody will ever know you did this. It converts signals from the pedal to the ECU to simulate sports chrono (actually something like sports chrono for the spastic), so it's not writing anything or doing anything detectable once removed.

But based on my experience and that of others, I recommend the tiptronic "calmer" version, let me try it first and confirm !!
Honestly if they sold a version that changes nothing but remove the lag, I'd get that !! I love the lack of lag !!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
"CIS to carbureted" - good analogy!
Yes, but probably lost on this forum ;-) You had to have a CIS 911 and have changed it to carbs or MFI to really get it, it's really similar, throttle response and all... But not very many board members have done that.

I'll call the shop on monday for an exchange !

PS: it occurred to me that an overly agressive mapping could be like lugging the car. Here you are at 2500 rpm cruising in traffic... You barely touch the pedal and get something like full throttle... Gotta be like if you mashed it down, can't be good for the engine... Definitely swapping for the tiptronic mapping...

·
Registered
415 Posts
Well,

We have sold a few of these, mostly the latest available adjustable ones. On our own Cayman S we installed one of the Manual trans ones last week. The throttle response is now very similar to what we get out of our 911 race car which has a cammed, high compression 3.4 twin plugged aircooled 911 motor that runs ITB's and programable EFI. Not quite the same but similar....

When I drove the car the first time I loved it. But it does require some retraining of the right foot. I still like it but I am used to a throttle that behaves the same way..... I may install the version for the tips just to see the difference.

I will be lapping this car in June and having clients drive it on track as well to get more feedback and go from there.

The car already has a Softronic tune with "sport throttle" which quite frankly made no noticeable difference.

If anyone is interested in the manual version "used" at a good price, drop me a PM.....

Also, we can provide pricing the same as the group buy on an individual basis.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I love the SB, and I have the Softronic flash and plenum. Night and day.

Maybe because I started in the P-car world with a 1969 911 with Webers, it's not too sensitive for me at all. Perfecto.

For what it's worth, we used to have 944's and there was a "throttle cam" that did some of the same thing for a cable throttle, where there was a lever arm on the stock trhottle body that slowed the response of the pedal for pollution control reasons, I believe. The throttle cam made the pedal linear.

I don't happen to agree that the manual version is too sensitive, each person has a feel that they like and this suits me fine for the street. Hit the gas and it goes. Simple!

Paul

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I've got a slightly used AT version (single mode) for sale if anyone is interested for $200 or best offer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well,

We have sold a few of these, mostly the latest available adjustable ones. On our own Cayman S we installed one of the Manual trans ones last week. The throttle response is now very similar to what we get out of our 911 race car which has a cammed, high compression 3.4 twin plugged aircooled 911 motor that runs ITB's and programable EFI. Not quite the same but similar....

When I drove the car the first time I loved it. But it does require some retraining of the right foot. I still like it but I am used to a throttle that behaves the same way..... I may install the version for the tips just to see the difference.

I will be lapping this car in June and having clients drive it on track as well to get more feedback and go from there.

The car already has a Softronic tune with "sport throttle" which quite frankly made no noticeable difference.

If anyone is interested in the manual version "used" at a good price, drop me a PM.....

Also, we can provide pricing the same as the group buy on an individual basis.

Cheers
So, there are separate Sprint Booster's for the PDK and manual cars? I have a 2009 CS manual and want to make sure I get the correct one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I Prefer the new version of Sprint booster

The new SBooster has three modes :
1) off
2) 50%
3) Aggressive mode 100%

If you use for a while the 50% mode...you just can't go back to normal ( SB off)
I use the 50% mode and it is just Fine!!
Yesterday i used the 100% mode , which ALSO has enough fun (feels alot stronger) , but perhaps not for everyday driving

Here is a pic of the remote control which i have nicely fit in the cabin

http://www.sprintbooster2.com/images...lebyremote.jpg

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I Prefer the new version of Sprint booster
Funny you should mention that... I called Cameron at GMP last night to return my Manual "single mode" version. For $60 extra, I ordered the new version mentioned above, for automatic (even though my car is a stick)
I suspect like Jtace that the 50% mode will do me just fine - actually I think Cameron said the new switchable model is not distinguishing between auto and stick anymore, it's a Off- 50 -100%.

Taking sprint booster OFF last night (another 2 minutes of hard work) reminded me how castrated the stock Cayman S feels ! I recall when I had an 05 987 (base) and test drove the first 06 CS on my dealer's lot, I did not find it *that* much faster. And i recall my ex 320hp 996 felt a lot stronger than the 295 Cayman S (which is lighter)... Odd, that ! The stock CS with no Sports chrono feel like the friggin' handbrake was left on accidentally ! I kid you not... It takes removing the SB to realize how bad it is !

As twitchy/hair trigger as the single mode manual sprint booster was for me, it was a revelation on how mediocre the stock throttle response is. Honestly, stock, under 4000 rpm, the car feels like it's got 220hp, max. With Sprint booster it feels like the full 295 and then some... I think Porsche is screwing up majorly here making the default map so lazy and laggy.

I'll conclude this when I get my new "automatic map, 3 settings" booster hopefully before the week end.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, there are separate Sprint Booster's for the PDK and manual cars? I have a 2009 CS manual and want to make sure I get the correct one.
Yes, and you SHOULD get the wrong one ! The manual version is way too sensitive. Get the automatic one, which is still better than stock but not quite so neck snappingly sensitive ! OR better yet get the new version that has 3 modes and lets you try them back to back, it's only $60 extra !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Question: Do you have to choose your selection each time you start up the car or does it remember from your last journey??

My cabin routine is long enough already! ;)
The new version , which i have (0-50-100%) remembers the last position , every time you switch on the ignition. Also it switches the led off , after 15 minutes or so, when the ignition switched off. (i presume for battery saving reasons)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks. Where exactly does the switch sit in the cabin? Is it completely hidden?

:cheers:
it is so small that you can fit it anywhere you want.....completely hidden or not...it's your choice ! i will try to post a picture later from my car (have put it left from the steering wheel)

·
Tennessee Vol
649 Posts
I ordered the new version today. Let me know what you think.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts