Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Four months ago I sold my 06 987 CS because I only drove it 2500 miles in the year that I had it. I was thinking I can go by without a pcar, but I was wrong. I found myself daily and nightly looking at what to get next...autotrader, ebay, cars.com, manheim auction (I run a VW dealership) and craigslist. Since I just had my first taste of a pcar, I wanted this time to be a 911 S. My price range was in the low 40k, so I focused on 06-07 models. After 4 months I finally found one that I felt like a deal. I had it shipped up from New Mexico and it landed last Friday and I had it for a couple of days.

So here's what I had:
2006 987 CS
Speed Yellow
6sp, 19" turbo wheels with Continental Max performance tires, Sport Chrono, Pasm, Navi, bose, stebro exhaust, power sport seats
$26K purchased last year

VS

2007 997.1 C2S
Meteor Gray
19" Cerrera classic wheels with Continental DWS, same exact equipment with sport exhaust and audio control on steering wheel
$45K

My first impression was that the 997 with the sport exhaust sounded great. Everything else was pretty much the same as the 987 in terms of the interior except for the extra two seats (if you want to call them seats). After a quick car wash, I took it out for a quick spin. Right away I felt the additional power of the 997's and torque. It felt great, something that I felt was missing in the 987 CS. Although I didn't push it too hard, the handling was superb and I felt confident going around corners at higher speeds than you should. I took it home that day and took my girlfriend out on it and she too felt the power. The sunroof was great that allowed just enough sun and air to come in. I asked which car she likes better and she said the 911.

However, I felt like something was missing. I wasn't blown away by the 911. Maybe it was the color? Coming from a bright yellow car, the gray looked dulled. Or was it that while looking for cars and seeing GT3s and Turbos, the 997 C2S looked a little too subtle for me? Maybe it needed to be lowered? Maybe I need to drive it longer? Was I missing the side vents or the curve hips of the 987?

So here's the funny part. The salesman that sold my Cayman called his customer when he found out the I had a 911 and invited them to come for a test drive. Today, they swung by and drove the 911 and may end up buying it. While they were there, I had a chance to look at both cars side by side and the more I looked at both cars, the more I liked the Cayman. While the customer took the 911 for an extended test drive, the salesman and I went out on the Cayman just around the block and I was in the passenger seat. It made me realize how great of a buy the 987 CS was. Yes, it's not as fast or sounded as good or that it was not a "911", but it was a fun car. It is so well balanced.

I'm sure we'll make the deal with the previous customer and I'll have to continue my search for my next pcar. Do I just step up and get a 997 turbo? Maybe for the same money a 981 CS? Or find a 997.1 C4S with fat butt and add a GT3 kit to it? Where does it end??? All I know is that a stock 997.1 C2S doesn't do it for me. It has a classic look, enough power, but just missing something for me.

In summary:

Cayman S vs 911 S - equivalent year, miles and equipment, your looking at least a $10,000 difference in price. This makes the Cayman S a real bargain if you are not power hungry. However, there is something about driving a 911 which you don't get from driving a Cayman. Maybe it's the history, power or that people just know what it is. For those entering the Porsche world, both cars will amaze you. Once you're in, you'll never get out. It's like a black hole that consumes you in many different ways. :)

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
997 is an amazing car, that is my first Porsche and made me a Porsche owner/enthusiast for life. I believe all 911's needs some type of aerokit to look complete. Either a whale tail, duck tail, etc. 911 is a sports car and should look like one. IMO. Great review, I'd enjoyed reading it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. Aggressive wheels and a rear spoiler helps. I'm surprised that there's not much in aftermarket front lips like the techart style that's not $1500.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I agree. Aggressive wheels and a rear spoiler helps. I'm surprised that there's not much in aftermarket front lips like the techart style that's not $1500.
There are a few out there, getty designs comes to mind for a reasonable price. But yes, most parts for the 997 are expensive, even though it's a 10 year old car, price has not dropped, if fact, it seems like aftermarket parts has gone up for 997. If you look at 911 as a whole, air cooled 911's are extremely outdated but demands crazy money, 996 are the red headed step child that no one cares about, that leaves the 997 as the primary choice for used 911's. It seems like everyday there is a new thread about someone buying or looking for a used 997.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Good post. I bought a 996 turbo a few years ago. Was my first Porsche, I decided to go big - I felt that if I first got a C2 or C2S, I would always be wondering/wanting the turbo. I really loved the wide hips.

While I loved the power and the driving experience, the car I got was a maintenace nightmare, ended up selling it.

Take the cost and problems away, I can say that the turbo is quite impractical. It was a bit of a heavy pig on tight roads. It's trick was eye popping acceleration - but for me, it got old rather quickly. Mash the throttle and in 5 seconds you would go to jail if caught by the cops. As I wait for my next Porsche, I am really looking forward to a more engaging, balanced, updated ride. I feel the Cayman get it right on so many fronts. While the 911 is the status model that everyone lusts after, I'll go with what I want and what is right for me. Nothing to be ashamed of with the Cayman - it is damn near perfect.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
997 is an amazing car, that is my first Porsche and made me a Porsche owner/enthusiast for life. I believe all 911's needs some type of aerokit to look complete. Either a whale tail, duck tail, etc. 911 is a sports car and should look like one. IMO. Great review, I'd enjoyed reading it.
The Aerokit Cup is the way to go on the 997, IMO.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Many of the parts specifically mentioned in this thread are somehow involved in either the branding process or in upsell.

Porsche is in the business of earning money on upsell. Overpriced extras on top of reasonable base price. Items, as in replacement parts, that are involved with this will have to be priced in a way that it fits that upsell scheme. That is very unfortunate for those who legitimately need just a replacement for a broken part. But there just is no way that the upsell on -say- the wheel center caps is high and replacement is low. That would not only make people skip the new order and just do the extra from parts, it would make the whole upsell thing look ridiculous, it would make people paying for upsell feel bad about their purchase. Porsche can't do that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts