Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if any changes are expected to the Caymans and Boxsters in Model Year 2011? Or, when the order guides and pricing for 2011's will be available?

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
Order Guides usually come out in late summer to early fall depending on model changes/differences, etc. Most seem to have date stamps from August or September.

Please note that last year (2010 Guide) Porsche changed its policy with regard to the dissemination of those guides and republishing on the Internet. Guides are now only to be made available by Porsche dealers and no websites are authorized to host them. This is why you do not see the 2010 guides on this site. Any site that hosts them is subject to legal action from Porsche for doing so. I would suggest contacting your local dealer to see if they know when they are getting them.

·
Registered
565 Posts
The dealer my dad purchased his '09 Cayman from said that Porsche is droppin' the base model Cayman, so there will only be an "S" model like in '06. I don't know of any changes to the vehicle, though. I don't know if what that salesman is even true.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The dealer my dad purchased his '09 Cayman from said that Porsche is droppin' the base model Cayman, so there will only be an "S" model like in '06. I don't know of any changes to the vehicle, though. I don't know if what that salesman is even true.
Many dealers sadly will make up all kinds of **** if they think it will help them make a sale, or just to look like they know what they're talking about. If Porsche had plans like that, I can't imagine they would have exposed it to any dealers at this point (and that would be pretty bizarre anyway).

It was always a joke on the Honda S2000 forum that if you went by what Honda dealers told you, the S2000 was in its "final production year" from 2002 through 2010 when Honda actually ended production.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Given the substantial price difference between the base and "S" version, I tend to doubt that Porsche would get rid of the base model unless they are doing this to make room for a model under the Cayman.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Many dealers sadly will make up all kinds of **** if they think it will help them make a sale, or just to look like they know what they're talking about. If Porsche had plans like that, I can't imagine they would have exposed it to any dealers at this point (and that would be pretty bizarre anyway).

It was always a joke on the Honda S2000 forum that if you went by what Honda dealers told you, the S2000 was in its "final production year" from 2002 through 2010 when Honda actually ended production.
My dad had already bought the car, so the salesman wasn't tryin' to make a sale. However, he very well could've been talkin' out his azz. I see the same type thing every year at the Harley dealerships. It's all rumor until the dealer show or the new models are released. I wouldn't think Porsche would be any different.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The timing of this is interesting. I have placed an order for a MY2011 car. The order has not been accepted into the PorscheAG system yet. This car will be my dealer's first build slot for a 2011 Cayman. If anything I have specified for the car is no longer available then the order will get kicked back. Once the order is accepted we will get a build date. I'm not sure when I'll know what the MY2011 pricing will be. It sounds like I may actually get my car before the order guides are out! :crazy:

·
Registered
169 Posts
This is actually pretty common. They start building the cars early (all on the line are now 2011's)
with the common options packages, ship them and then release them on the date with the guides.
They will commonly sit in both Germany and the ports/PDC until the year switchover release date.
Most of the early cars are Porsche spec vs. cust. spec since many want to wait to see the prices/guides before custom ordering.
But the dealer already has the option changes in the ordering system, just not the prices to go with them.

New metallic colors:

Platinum Silver Metallic(no more arctic, guide shows it with asterisk, need to confirm but supp. gone)
Ice Blue

Special colors:
Ruby Red
Amethyst Metallic
(GT Silver still avail)

Deleted Colors:
Arctic
Nordic
Malachite

Standard on all sportscars
bluetooth
floormats
ipod adaptor(charged more if you get PCM)

Uprated front Rad for PDK cooling

They have option packs now:
Convenience(bixenon/wind blocker/auto dim/ACC/Crest in Rests)
Infotainment(PCM/SPP/Bose(s)/XM)
Design(Box Spyder wheels/lots of stuff painted black)
Design Sport Pack(aero kit)

The rumor is a ~$1500 increase on 2011's with the release in Aug., but not confirmed.
Also, if you want silver and don't want to pay for GT, go look at arctic vs. platinum.
I had the option to extend to a 2011 but kept the 2010 special order due to liking arctic better.
My 2010 is one of the very late production 2010's (just got it off the boat) and
it actually has a 2011 steering wheel.....that's late production. (and hopefully rare)
The switchover date must have occured somewhere between carpet and dashboard because no floormats......lol

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
cpsu

When was your build date. Mine was and April-May. My 2010 base was completed on April 28 on a boat as we speak and is slated to hit the port on May16. Wonder if I am going to get a black steering wheel with my PDK or the 2010 silver trim one. Like you I have one of the last 2010's.

dave-t

·
Registered
169 Posts
Congrats Dave. After some more snooping around today, I realized there was
a full month of production after my late Mar. build (like your late April for example)
So it seemed odd that I'd get the black wheel with a full month of prod. left.
*edit - well thought it was a 2010 GT3 Alcantara wheel, but have seen some of those now
and most are silver too. (this was an Alcantara steering wheel option)
Still think your PDK will be silver because believe it's an Alcantara changeover thing.
Looks like at some point between late Feb. and late Mar., the GT3/GT3RS Alcantara wheels switched to black.
That is what I have on my late Mar. 2010 CS build. Kinda interesting.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I ordered my car CS white with PDK, limited diff, PASM, Paddle shifters etc..The dealer said he would try and get me a late April 2010 build..did not work out. He updated me that the order is now in and is aiting on prod number. In the mean time I already order Fikse 18" to swap out with stock wheels...wait is unbearable...:(

Most likely August before I get the car

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After reading all the above comments I don't really know when I should expect my 2011 car. The dealer told me they were hoping for June or July but August is sounding a lot more likely. Thank you all for your help/advice!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
jonathan, July is possible because Porsche has talked about a July release
of other models and there were also talks about trying to go one month earlier this year.
So Aug. may be the common knowledge date but imho July is also equally likely. fyi.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Placed my order for a 2011 Cayman S Apr 17, build date is July 8. In Canada the MSRP is dropped to $75000. However automatic climate control, heated seats, and self dimming mirrors/rain sensors are no longer included. As mentioned earlier, bluetooth, USB cable and floor mats are now standard.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, I'm starting to feel better now. After reading the three posts above, perhaps there is hope that I will be driving my new car this summer!

Chronarion, did you get a confirmed price for your car? Can you confirm any price changes for MY2011?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Okay, I'm starting to feel better now. After reading the three posts above, perhaps there is hope that I will be driving my new car this summer!

Chronarion, did you get a confirmed price for your car? Can you confirm any price changes for MY2011?
No idea. All I know is that floor mats, universal audio and bluetooth were standard but no clue on the price. Will post when I find out what to make my check out for.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.