Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I consider you a Dr. now your work is amazing!!!
Haha, thank you! There was very little aftermarket support when I first got into modifying and racing Volvos, so I had to learn to fabricate everything myself.

I love how many quality aftermarket options are available for these Porsches, but I still enjoy the DIY route and seeing if I can make quality functional parts on a budget.

The radiator grilles cost me $3 to make and I'm about $20 invested into this splitter. Though I'll eventually replace the wood of this prototype with alumalite or carbon fiber.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Referring to your third radiator install, do you have any thoughts or intentions to vent the air through the top, instead of the bottom, via the smiley vent? Would be something many would be interested in seeing!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Referring to your third radiator install, do you have any thoughts or intentions to vent the air through the top, instead of the bottom, via the smiley vent? Would be something many would be interested in seeing!
That's the plan! I have one of those vents sitting in my garage right now, waiting to be installed.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Finally got the "smiley" radiator vent installed, which was really easy and took less than an hour. Full front end shots to come once it stops raining.

Added the same mesh that I have been using.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I finished up my livery wrap... Took about a day, but I'm pleased with the results. A few more parts and a few more weeks, then it'll be ready for the 2019 season.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Installed my carbon fiber wing. The body of the wing is pretty similar to the GT4's; it was $100 due to a defect in the clear coat which is now covered by the lettering. I went a custom route with the end caps, just to be different from all the GT4 replica wings I see.

Rather than drilling into my trunk lid, I customized brackets (padded on the inside) which clamp to the edges of the trunk and allow wing-angle adjustability. There's still sufficient clearance that it won't scratch anything. I also prefer putting the force of the wing along the pinch welds of the lid, rather than the center of the aluminum, since the edge is tad stronger. Not as ideal as a chassis mounted wing, but it works and there's already a noticeable improvement at highway speeds. Only downside is that there is more weight than the trunk strut can support when open, but this is only an issue when filling oil and coolant.

It is lower profile than most Porsche wings, which I prefer with the lines of the Boxster. I'm trying to keep things looking nice, but function > form.
Now I really need to finish up the front splitter...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I've read a lot of posts about people complaining of the sloppy gear shifter and long throw in these cars.
Coming from the C30, which has a very short shift throw, I've never had any gripes with the 987.

Well, last night I discovered the first owner installed a Schnell short shift kit. No wonder I haven't had any complaints!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep. Made the jump in November last year. Just haven't found much of a 986.2 community here. I picked up a Seal Gray over Black 2004 986.2 S (6 speed, of course). IMS and RMS done and full documentation on the vehicle. Factory options include heated seats, Carerra 996.2 wheels, BOSE/MOST audio, cruise, windscreen, etc. PO added Girodisc 2-piece rotors. Currently otherwise stock but M030 (ROW) suspension on order. Looking forward to HDPE and AutoX this spring!

IMG_20170928_190200155.jpg

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Transferred over the tow hook from my previous car. Blue to match the vinyl.

I plan to recover the shift knob, but for now, I colored in the numbers blue.

Because I come from racing Volvos, the Volsche decals are a fun little tribute which are easily overlooked. For those who don't know, the prancing moose is a Volvo icon that has been in use for about 30 years. Volvo will actually sell you the prancing moose badge, but this Volsche badge is an obvious Porsche spoof.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I color matched the tunnel console to my white and blue. I have new seats on order and will be making a new shift boot to match the seats.

It might be a track build, but I still drive it to and from the track. I mounted my radar detector to the center grille and routed the wiring behind the dash.
In my opinion, radar detectors will not save you from tickets. But when moving with the flow of traffic, it's nice to know if there's a cop up ahead or behind, because they'll always zero-in on the Porsche in a group of speeding cars.

I've never used the radio in this car, so I took it out. In the process, I found a Dension Gateway! I had my suspicions that the USB and ipod adapters weren't factory. So that'll be up for sale soon...
I then cut a plate out of Lexan to fill the void and be a mounting surface for my GPS, oil pressure gauge, and any future items that I wish to add.

Yes, there is currently a boost gauge fitted, but that was only for test fitting a 52mm gauge.
The wiring for the GPS is nicely hidden and now I can use it for recording a few things on track.
I plan to pull the air controls face plate and the trim under the dash to wrap in white as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So good.

Michael, do 987 guys do a lower console delete like some in the 986 community? I’m thinking of going that route with a GT3 console delete to get a little more legroom. I’m 6’ so a little more legroom would be good. Didn’t know if that’s a thing for the 987 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Michael, do 987 guys do a lower console delete like some in the 986 community? I’m thinking of going that route with a GT3 console delete to get a little more legroom. I’m 6’ so a little more legroom would be good. Didn’t know if that’s a thing for the 987 as well.
I've seen a lot of track builds take out the console entirely, but I haven't seen any 987s with a console delete as clean as the 986. There's a lot of pieces that integrate into the dash, so you'd have to make some parts to fill the gaps and hide some wires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cool. Just curious. I’m in the 986.2 (last year of the model) so I have the GT3 option. I plan to do that this summer with a new stereo, Schnell SSK, boot, & Abrams M1 shift knob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Finished up color matching the interior trim under the dash and center console. Did the add-a-fuse trick so the 12v sockets are off when the car is off, so the GPS is simply plugged into that.

New seats (Bride) are on their way.
Splitter, canards, rear stress bar, underdrive pulley, and oil pressure gauge are waiting to be installed.
Deep sump is in the shopping cart but not yet ordered.

My other track toy has taken 100% of my spare time. So I may postpone working on the 987 until later this summer... I'll at least install the visual parts before some upcoming shows, but I don't want to do anymore track days until the deep sump is on. The main priority is to finished building the other car.

Life gets in the way, but we're still having fun and we'll hopefully have two cars on the track by this fall.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I am also finishing up a track build engine protection program to protect rod bearing #6 including three large mechanical gauges where the Sports Chrono wart is. My recent thought is to use a WRX gauge holder and cover it with simular leather to my dash board. I am looking at 2 5/8 in Autometer gauges, oil pressure, oil temperature and water temperature. positioned to face the driver for a quick glance espcially the oil pressure. I have done the other oil safe guards including a deep 2 qt sump with windage plate with 997 straight down tubes, a Porsche MotorSports 987.1 AOS, a spin on filter with 19 micron filtration, using Mobil 1 FS 0w-40 oil for daily drivability and a GT3 997 center radiator with chimney. Race oil is Driven XP-9 as recommended by LN, (still not convinced about using their spin on micro screen bullet that has filtration of 80 microns for less oil back pressure to help #6 rod bearing oil flow).

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Swapped out the shift knob for a perfectly round shift ball. So far, I'm liking the general feel of it more than stock, as all my past builds have had similar shift knobs.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts