Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
The first few plywood splitter prototypes results in more scraping than I anticipated. While no lower than the lowest points of the car, it does protrude rather far from the front wheels. So I'm working on a lower profile splitter design. Since I know it won't be enough to counter balance my wing, I opted to add canards.

I bought a set of plastic canards that I was able to heat and bend to perfectly match the contours of the bumper. These were then hydro dipped to look like carbon fiber and match my rear wing. I studied a bunch of 987, 981, and 997 canard designs to determine what would be a good angle and setup.

I really appreciated the data put out by companies like Versus Engineering. It helped me determine the optimal angle setup for a car with a front splitter and wing, as well as making sure air still gets fed to the intake (perhaps better than stock).

While my setups isn't wind tunnel tested, there is noticeably more stability at higher speeds. Between the added aero parts and having eliminated the factory suspension rake, the car feels very well balanced and drastically improved over stock. For a DIY-built track toy, this is sufficient for me. After all, I'm just building this car to have fun with. I'm not trying to build a competitive time attack car.

While I was at it, I also cut down the blocky carbon fiber ends on my wing to a shape that resembles that of the GT4's.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Your work is impressive!!!
Thank you!

I finished up my 4th splitter prototype, which may end up being the final design that I stick with.
It is made from a polyethylene that I heated up and bent to better match the bumper contours. It's super rugged; you could probably drive over this thing and it would retain its shape, so I expect it'll hold up if it ever scrapes.

While it won't have the same affect as a front wing-style splitter, it will still help enhance the low pressure zone underneath the car and help direct higher pressure over the top.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Installed my Hella rally lights. Definitely not the most aerodynamically beneficial, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. If you reference my past builds, all my cars get some sort of aftermarket lighting. Function is greater than form. No bulb upgrade can compete with a real light setup and it's an absolute necessity for the midnight touge runs and hill climbs that we participate in.

I partook in a PCA tour last weekend which ended at one of my local wineries. It was a fun event despite my gripes with how PCA drives are run.

I also took the car to Caffeine and Octane. Whether people love it or hate it, this car definitely gets a lot of attention. I've been finding pictures of it all over social media.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Finally installed the Bride Vios III Low Max seats (the Sparcos are going into the rallycross car).

I got invited into Caffeine and Exotics Spring show. Strong Porsche representation, though a bit boring in comparison to the cars that were present.

One of the highlight videos did briefly show the back end of my car as we were exiting. I ended up right behind the McLaren Senna as we left. :D

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Won the Dragon's Choice award (majority vote for the car that most people wanted to drive)*at the 10th annual C30s Conquer the Dragon event.

I also got another weekly highlight on 129Photos.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Michael, your builds are always unique! I love how you explore creative options and build stuff that didn’t exist before!

You’re a very talented builder and you give a lot back to the motoring community. Thanks for all your help with my C30 build. It’s fun following your progress on the 987.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Thanks for the kind words. :)

I received a Killboy Weekly Highlight as well!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Brought the car back out for the RennSport dragon event, got another weekly highlight with my dad's 997 in the background.

My buddy also got this rolling shot.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I'm feeling very honored that my car received another Killboy weekly highlight as well.

This picture also shows why I can't go any more aggressive with the offset or run a larger front splitter. Perfect track setup (for me), as there is still proper suspension travel and damping while running as low as I dare go. Still no rubbing!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I came across your build a little while ago while looking up Godspeed coilovers, and even ended up finding your build on IG! Glad to see your build come together so well.

Quick question though - how do you like your coilovers? I found some used Bilstein PSS9s for about the same price as a set of new Godspeed coilovers, and I wanted to know how the Godspeeds hold up in comparison.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Quick question though - how do you like your coilovers? I found some used Bilstein PSS9s for about the same price as a set of new Godspeed coilovers, and I wanted to know how the Godspeeds hold up in comparison.
Honestly, I'm completely blown away by these coilovers. I bought them just so I could play with wheel/tire fitment and alignment specs while I waited on a deal for something better, but I've been very pleased with these and plan on keeping them.

The adjustable damping has allowed me to find a setting that hugs the corners and isn't bouncy. As seen in some of the previous pictures, I still have nearly 2" of suspension travel with how I have it setup, so it drives properly. The fact that these coilovers come with built in camber plates was also a plus.

I've run many known brand coilovers on my other cars, the C30 is currently on H&R, and they are terrible by comparison. I always considered GodSpeed to be a cheap brand, but for the price and my experience with them, it seems to be very good value.

That being said, I don't have experience with other brand coilovers on the 987. I'm certain the Bilsteins, KW, etc. will all be significantly better quality and ride. If you have found a good condition set of Bilsteins for the same price, I would suggest going with those. They'll probably hold up much better over the long term.

what's his IG
MyNameIdeasWereTaken on everything.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I received another invite to Caffeine and Exotics, which I attended last weekend. There were a lot of cool cars to see!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Peachstate PCA had their September Cars & Coffee at Atlanta Motorcar Club this past weekend. Lots of cool cars to see.

Here's a low quality phone video from the event...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Had some extra vinyl laying around, so I decided to add the PORSCHE lettering above the stripes.
It gives it a little more character than just having stripes.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Made a rear subframe stabilizer bar out of a radius rod, similar to what RennLine sells.

It definitely helps tighten up the back end in the twisties. I find the slight (but noticeable) improvement is most apparent when trail braking.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts