Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,825 Posts
I love your dedication, and that you share your mod journey with us. I just can't get past those Baja1000/WRC-style driving lights!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I found a perfect condition Carrara White trunk lid for $100 on ebay and went with longer wing brackets that bolt into place. I'm liking the styling of a higher wing a lot more and I have since angled it to be a little less aggressive as it feels like it's in a better line of airflow and generating more downforce, which is unnecessary until I get to an event.

The fall colors are nearly at their peak here in Dahlonega.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #84

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
The dive canards.... did you DIY? Just drill into the bumpers? How do you know wha angle to put it a
These were universal canards that I cut down and shaved away until they matched the bumper contours. They are drilled into place. Some companies claim similar mounted canards see up to 60lbs of down force at 100mph, so I did not want to depend on tape alone.

To figure a good angle, I studied many pictures and airflow data sheets provided by companies who make canards for these cars and race teams. The idea was to get something that would add down force while also helping direct air towards the side ducts. While I'm sure my setup isn't perfect, since it is more or less eyeballed, it is definitely an improvement. When I take the rally lights off for optimal aerodynamics, there is great stability through high speed cornering. Though that's also attributed to other parts and the lowered ride height.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Seems like every time I go to the Dragon, this car gets a highlight!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
When the forecast says hail, they all come into the garage.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
so what tracks have you taken this thing to?
This 987 has only been to Atlanta Motorsports Park and Road Atlanta. Not a huge fan of Road Atlanta because it's mostly flooring the car and getting your braking points right. AMP is lower speed and a lot more technical, which makes this car competitive with anything out there.

I still haven't put on a deep sump, so the car has only been coming out about once a week for mountain runs.
The C30 is my go-to for the track; it's built for it. Plus it's faster than the 987S and while not as nimble in the tight corners, it keeps up in long sweepers. The Porsche is actually the slowest car that I own right now...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Back from May of 2019, someone got us leaving Caffeine and Octane at 11:16.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
This car continues to sit on the back burner as I've been having more fun with the other cars.
Been doing a few modifications in my spare time and driving it once a week, just hit 46,000 miles.

I blacked out the headlights, since I prefer the more modern look. Done the right way, by opening the headlights and painting all the non reflective bits so light output remains unhindered.

Finally got around to swapping on the Tarett underdrive pulley. Super easy swap, I'll post a how to video on that soon. If you're really tuned-in with your car, you'll notice a slight improvement. It's nothing to write home about. More of just a worthwhile upgrade when replacing the belt.

I also picked up a 987.2 TC Sportline lip/splitter. It's quite hefty, so I'm not worried about scraping it on things.
It's a 3 piece design, so the ends could be lined up with the 987.1 lines and then I just had to trim down the center piece to finish it off. A near perfect fit now. So yes, 987.2 lips can be made to fit the 987.1 without much effort.

There are still many items on my to-do list for this car and I'm slowly crossing them off. Once I'm done, then I'll get her cleaned up and get some good pictures of the recent changes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The headlights look good! do you have a zoomed out picture? Was there a specific guide you followed to do this? Thanks

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
The headlights look good! do you have a zoomed out picture? Was there a specific guide you followed to do this? Thanks
I'll get a picture as soon as I put the bumper back on.

No guide... I ran a heat gun around the seal of the cover lens until it was warm enough that I could pull the lens off. Some people bake their lights to do this, but I don't like baking 13 year old plastics.

Rather than disassembling the whole light, I carefully masked off EVERYTHING so that I could just paint it as one unit.

Resealed using 30 minute rain ready window/shower door sealant. I've use the same stuff on headlights I did back in 2010, which still remain leak free. Aside from paint cure time, the project only took about 2 hours and cost about $10 in tape, paint, and sealant.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Finally got around to swapping on the Tarett underdrive pulley. Super easy swap, I'll post a how to video on that soon. If you're really tuned-in with your car, you'll notice a slight improvement. It's nothing to write home about. More of just a worthwhile upgrade when replacing the belt.
Agreed. I did this on my 986.2S. It seems to let the car rev a little quicker and the car feels a little torquier. I don't have access to a dyno (nor do I care enough to worry about it); the psychological gains are enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81 - 100 of 139 Posts