Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Built a new light mount bracket out of aluminum which I bent to match the curvature of the bumper. Bolted in place using the original license plate holes. You have to pull the bumper to remove it, but that only takes like 5 minutes.

This mounting is a bit more rigid than before, which is preferred. Should also disrupt airflow over the top of the car a lot less. I ended up leaving the lights mounted all of last year, so I'm okay with this more semi-permanent solution.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
What are you using these lights for ??

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
What are you using these lights for ??
Two purposes.

1. I live in the North Georgia mountains where all the local roads are heavily wooded 55mph and 65mph back roads. No traffic, just lots of animals. Factory brights just don't offer a wide enough or long enough field of view. Even the my family car has a small light bar for enhanced nighttime visibility.

2. I use the 987 for hill climb events and the C30 for hill climb and rally which can extended into dusk/twilight. Going down 1 or 2 lane roads near 100mph, you need all the light you can get.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Here's a shot with the bumper back on. First event of the season will be the Caffeine and Exotics show in April... Still a lot of work to do before it's ready and it desperately needs a bath.

I finished hooking up the oil pressure gauge. Made use of the sport chrono dash wart, since that stop watch is a completely useless feature. I'll be sharing a video on this installation as well. Ran into a few hiccups along the way, but I'm pleased with the final result. The 52mm gauge fits in the wart with a factory finish. I opted to mount the settings/recall controller to the side of the gauge for convenience.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I just noticed your dive planes.. the angle is very shallow compared to the angle prescribed by Verus for their dive plans.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I just noticed your dive planes.. the angle is very shallow compared to the angle prescribed by Verus for their dive plans.
I was going off of setups I've seen with Versus and TWL.

A lot of flow diagrams are based on the 986 and 987, which put the air in line with the door handle and going over the wheel arches. This is good for flow at high speeds, but there were a lot of threads debating on if this starved the intake and exhaust cooling vents. Also question on how air flow over the shoulders vary between boxsters and Caymans since the Boxster would usually be run with roof and windows down.

I'm content with how my setup has been performing. Seems to be better front end stability at high speeds.
Obviously I haven't wind tunnel tested my setup, so I'm sure it's not perfect.
I don't think there is a such thing as a perfect angle, as aero ideally needs to be tweaked based on the track.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Here is my how-to on the Tarett Engineering underdrive pulley install. Very straight forward and only took about an hour. The only mishap was my own stupidity of not properly aligning the pulley locking bolt.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I finished hooking up the oil pressure gauge. Made use of the sport chrono dash wart, since that stop watch is a completely useless feature. I'll be sharing a video on this installation as well. Ran into a few hiccups along the way, but I'm pleased with the final result. The 52mm gauge fits in the wart with a factory finish. I opted to mount the settings/recall controller to the side of the gauge for convenience.

I used the same pod for a Depo Racing Oil Pressure/Oil Temp/Oil Temp and Voltage gauge. I now know when it's warm enough to use its potential as well as watch for fluctuating oil pressure. Although gauge says Water Temp, I used that sensor to mount in the sump to compare sump and Cyl 6 temps.
20190329_135714.jpg

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Love it! I was considering the Depo gauge. But then I got the Prosport brand new for $50 and figured I can continue to judge warm up time like I always have for that kind of deal.

That's one thing I love about my WRX, it gives you gauges and measurements for everything.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Love it! I was considering the Depo gauge. But then I got the Prosport brand new for $50 and figured I can continue to judge warm up time like I always have for that kind of deal.

That's one thing I love about my WRX, it gives you gauges and measurements for everything.
I was looking at the Prosport (the memory & alarm are sweet!) but I also wanted a dual guage with oil temp. Interesting that the Cyl 6 temp significantly lags the sump temp - probably due to it's position on the end of the block (maybe a portent of oiling/temp issues back there and potential bore scoring?). The Voltage was useful when I had the underdrive pulley on - definitely did not get enough charging (with the mediocre driving I was doing as a DD) to get the volts to 14 or better. Took the pulley off and every thing was fine again.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
All upcoming events have been canceled. So a group of us went for a quick mountain drive before we're forced into quarantine.

First time my car has come out of the garage since the subtle changes over winter. Here's a better shot with the headlights and splitter.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Day 24 of quarantine: Patched a tire and returned to the isolation of my garage...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Deleted the bumperettes and replaced them with vents to help get some of that exhaust heat out of the rear bumper area.

Bumper cover off:

Bumperettes covers removed:

Bumperette removed from bumper:

Used a rotary tool to expand and smooth the openings (stock on left for comparison):

Zip tied mesh in place with all zip ties in locations that are out of sight:

Bumper reinstalled with visible area painted black:

Bumper cover reinstalled with the area behind the license plate wrapped gloss black:

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Yes real nice looking and a smart idea. Good thinking outside the box.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Your rear vent with a few additional rear body cutouts would work well with the LN PDK cooler. Not that you need a PDK cooler for your 6 speed manual.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Michael,

Excellent work, as usual, but I'm not clear on what problem you're solving. What do you perceive is the problem with exhaust heat behind the bumper? Is the heat shielding inadequate?

I certainly like the aesthetic, which would be enough for me. I just am not clear on what's going on that makes this necessary for heat dissipation.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

101 - 120 of 134 Posts