Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

161 - 178 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Fantastic! Can you elaborate on it for us?
What do you want to know? Vinyl is cheap. I suggest only going with 3M 1080, 2080, or Avery Supreme. Both brands are higher quality, easier to apply, and will last a long time.

For the side stripe, I did the thicker center stripe at 4.5cm tall, 1cm spacing to the pinstripes, and 1cm tall pinstripes.
This fits well for a level stripe that runs just above the lower door edge and just below the indentation for the side vents.

The factory stripe cuts off before the wheel wells and door seams, which isn't visually appealing to me. The spacing is also a bit narrower, which makes the "PORSCHE" feel squished. I've documented the whole process for a video that will come out once I finish wrapping a few other panels.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What do you want to know? Vinyl is cheap. I suggest only going with 3M 1080, 2080, or Avery Supreme. Both brands are higher quality, easier to apply, and will last a long time.

For the side stripe, I did the thicker center stripe at 4.5cm tall, 1cm spacing to the pinstripes, and 1cm tall pinstripes.
This fits well for a level stripe that runs just above the lower door edge and just below the indentation for the side vents.

The factory stripe cuts off before the wheel wells and door seams, which isn't visually appealing to me. The spacing is also a bit narrower, which makes the "PORSCHE" feel squished. I've documented the whole process for a video that will come out once I finish wrapping a few other panels.

Thanks, and I look forward to seeing the clip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
GT2 RS-inspired negative stripe with a personal touch to compliment the side stripes and generally be a bit more unique. Just a few more details before this phase of cosmetics is complete.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Looks cold enough to freeze the street and you.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Looks cold enough to freeze the street and you.
It was definitely cold up on the mountain! Though there were a few other convertibles driving with their tops down too; we're all crazy.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #171

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #172

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #173

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #174

From a 987.2 Spyder --> 987.1S --> 997.2S --> 981S, my dad is back in a Porsche; a manual 987.2 Base.
He claims that this is his favorite drivers car to date. More nimble than the 997, a better driver's experience than the electric power steering and PDK from his 981, and less anxiety from driving a base Boxster than a "rare" Spyder.

I find the 987.2 Base to feel underwhelming from what is expected of a Porsche. Even as a car built for momentum through the corners, the power band is lacking from what I have become accustomed to. But it is still a great car and it has been fun working on both and discovering the subtle differences of the 987 trim.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
@MyNameIdeasWereTaken what rails & sliders did you use for the seats?

also is that a works/bell hub?
I had some universal low profile sliders that came with some other seats, I also have low profile sliders from Sparco. They look and feel identical, so I can only assume it's an Alibaba part that gets repackaged.
Since that last video, I removed the sliders and bolted the seat straight to the brackets so that it sits about 1" lower. My wife and I are about the same height and use the same seating position, so having a fixed seat isn't problematic since we're the only two who drive this car.

Are you referring to the steering wheel hub? It's a Momo hub/adapter.

Reactions: mechavore884

·
Registered
33 Posts
1) yeah steering wheel hub, was looking at replacing the 987 steering wheel since i have a couple spare wheels from a previous track build

2) Gotcha, thats exactly how it is in my beloved S chassis world with rails and sliders. I was looking at something low mount since id like to toss in my fatman certified seats

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
We've been hard at work on my dad's 987.2 Base. The most recent addition was a Soul valved exhaust.

I'm impressed with the weld quality and the sound. Great tone and minimal drone, though being bolted to a 2.9 isn't anywhere near as loud as the 3.4.
But I am very unimpressed with the over-engineering of Soul's exhaust and the lack of detailed instructions for vacuum and wire routing.

The exhaust itself was easy to install. Took about an hour to pull the stock exhaust and install the Soul system.
It makes sense that this valved system was developed or a quick plug and play application for cars with the factory valved exhaust. But for cars without factory valved exhaust, it makes zero sense to wire an electronic controller for a vacuum controlled valve system.
Tapping vacuum lines creates an additional point for failure and since we already have to cut and splice wires, why not just offer electronically controlled valves instead? This would be a cheaper option to bundle as well...

Also, the universal lock/unlock fobs are an ugly accessory to pair with a $3,000 exhaust system. I would have preferred to see a nice switch, maybe with a picture of exhaust tips on it, rather than a lock/unlock button.

The real frustration was the vague install instructions for vacuum and power. Super detailed instructions for the exhaust system, which is already self explanatory. Soul's install photos are only applicable for an S model, as the Base does not have a convenient vacuum line to tap near the throttle body. Instead, we had to cut into the line for one of the plenum actuators.

Once again, I was faced with over engineering on Porsche's part. It would make sense for the actuator vacuum lines to be single hoses, but instead they opted for straight plastic straws connected with tiny bits of rubber hose for every point where the line had to make a bend or turn.
As I said before, every time you have an unnecessary vacuum connection is an additional point for failure. Why Porsche did not opt to run a single hose is beyond me... What is even better is that the plastic straw pieces are not flared, so when attempting to connect our T connector for the exhaust system, this factory vacuum connection came undone, requiring us to remove the plenum just to reconnect the stock parts. One hour to install the exhaust system, five hours of dealing with the vacuum routing nightmare.

For power, we tapped the passenger footwell 12v socket and put the signal unit behind the dash for unobstructed communication with the remote fobs.

At least is sounds great! If I were to install this system on my own car, I would just lock the valves open and save myself the trouble of running vacuum lines.

161 - 178 of 178 Posts