Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hopefully this helps some people because it was difficult to find and required microphones etc.
This was a left rear cabin creaking/cracking noise that would show up during suspension travel, throttle in turns and pulling in and out of driveways.
Additionally it sounded like it was coming from the left rear upper shock mount while driving.
This made it difficult because it pointed toward a suspension issue, which was incorrect.
All interior plastic was removed, bolts checked, hatch checked, window checked, still did it.
We started getting worried that an actual weld had broken in the body somewhere....not good......
All suspension normal, microphones installed, noise emitting from a weld on the upper left engine compartment outer wall.
Inspection on the other side of the weld inside of the engine compartment showed this tab supports a grommet that stabilizes the airbox.
As the airbox moves with engine and suspension movement,(it is rubber mounted with one bolt and flexes around this grommet/pin) it slides slightly on this grommet.
The grommet is hard plastic, becomes dry and begins making a loud plastic creaking/cracking noise against the airbox which is transferred to the metal pin
which is welded on the cabin side which then transmits the noise to the cabin.
Spyders and R's will notice this more since they have no insulation betweeen the engine compartment and body panels.
Since the airbox was installed at the factory before the engine, removal isn't convenient.
I just filled the center of the grommet with white lithium grease and it seems to be self lubricating now and totally silent.

The part on the Porsche PET system is #6

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Holy ****.

Nice find. Thx.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Thanks for post, something to remember when this issue creeps up.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Nice work!

·
Registered
327 Posts
I realize this is an old post, but this seems to have fixed a rattle over my left shoulder that was driving me nuts in my 2010 CS.

Take off the airbox cover and remove the filter. The grommet/pin access is inside the box in the rear upper left: you can't really see it but you can feel it. I used some spray grease with a straw, just fed the straw into the opening by feel and sprayed away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts