Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Porsche Cayman S
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to think I know a lot about cars but I am stumped here. Myself and the guys are my tire shop had no idea what this lock is, don't know if it specific for the spacers or what. Hoping someone can tell me what kind of lock it is and where I can get a new key. I desperately need a balance but more that likely will get new tires.

Pictures below.

Thanks!
IMG_0373.jpeg
IMG_0375.jpeg
IMG_0377.jpeg
IMG_0378.jpeg

·
Registered
2006 Porsche Cayman S
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It appears that the lug nuts are a two piece design and the tapered part of the lug broke off.
Unfortunately no, that was my first thought though.

Every wheel has one like this and the other 4 are the typical Porsche bolts.

But one on each wheel, the bolt head unscrews and shows the weird lock pictured above.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Still looks broken / sheared, otherwise that's a really bad finished product. Since it's converted to studs is there any way to get at the heads from the rear? Otherwise removal is going to be laborious and require inventive thinking.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It just looks like something broke. I’m trying to wrap my head around if it’s not broke what would be the purpose of the lug after the “keyed” portion fastened the wheel on other than cosmetics? Essentially that lug you pictured last would have zero to do with holding the wheel on.

Did you check in the frunk where the factory wheel lock adapter is if anyone put the adapter there? I’m very curious to see what conclusion you find out.

·
Registered
2006 Porsche Cayman S
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still looks broken / sheared, otherwise that's a really bad finished product. Since it's converted to studs is there any way to get at the heads from the rear? Otherwise removal is going to be laborious and require inventive thinking.
While I would agree it looks broken just seems highly improbable that all 4 broke. and the nut head and bolt are both threaded that way.

·
Registered
2006 Porsche Cayman S
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It just looks like something broke. I’m trying to wrap my head around if it’s not broke what would be the purpose of the lug after the “keyed” portion fastened the wheel on other than cosmetics? Essentially that lug you pictured last would have zero to do with holding the wheel on.

Did you check in the frunk where the factory wheel lock adapter is if anyone put the adapter there? I’m very curious to see what conclusion you find out.
Oh trust me, you may think it has nothing to do with holding the wheel on, but will all 4 stock lug bolts are removed and the head off the fifth, trust me the wheel doesn't budge. We had 2 people trying to get it off, whatever this thing is, is holding the wheel on.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oh trust me, you may think it has nothing to do with holding the wheel on, but will all 4 stock lug bolts are removed and the head off the fifth, trust me the wheel doesn't budge. We had 2 people trying to get it off, whatever this thing is, is holding the wheel on.
I’m not debating that what is left on the wheel still is holding it on as it appears it is. What I was saying is I then don’t understand why the lug in your last picture even exists other than purely cosmetics. If these are a wheel lock which it sounds like they are if all four are like this it would take a deep wall impact socket with some grooves cut at the end with a dremel tool to mimic the key way to hopefully loosen them if you’re not able to find the original key. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Here is a discussion of the Ralph Boothe locking lug bolts.

And here's what the former (?) administrator had to say about them:

I sold my set and wrench to the OP in that first link. You might wish to consider getting in touch with him to get more of an explanation of what he had to do to remove the studs stuck in his wheel.

jD

·
Registered
182 Posts
Agree on the "shadetree mechanic" custom cut key, only has to work once( per wheel). Of course if there is a factory key that can be located that's the best solution.

·
Registered
2006 Porsche Cayman S
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m not debating that what is left on the wheel still is holding it on as it appears it is. What I was saying is I then don’t understand why the lug in your last picture even exists other than purely cosmetics. If these are a wheel lock which it sounds like they are if all four are like this it would take a deep wall impact socket with some grooves cut at the end with a dremel tool to mimic the key way to hopefully loosen them if you’re not able to find the original key. Keep us posted!
Ah I see, yes it is cosmetic, and clearly poorly executed at that considering it's peeling so badly. I have a 450 mile drive ahead of me today, will try to get to it this week, I would really like a new set of tires as these are from 2014.

·
Registered
51 Posts
According to jdavis’ post I would agree you have these Ralph Boothe locking lugs. IMHO these appear to be more of a headache than anything else and would hope you replace them once you finally get them removed.

·
Registered
2006 Porsche Cayman S
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is a discussion of the Ralph Boothe locking lug nuts.

I sold my set and wrench to the OP in that link. You might wish to consider getting in touch with him to get more of an explanation of what he had to do to remove the studs stuck in his wheel.

jD
That is exactly what I need, I will try to reach out to him. Wish we knew the name of this ridiculous contraption.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Pictures of the Ralph Boothe locking wheel bolts in my post on Rennlist. I posted them here in case someone else, sometime in the future, has the same problem with their wheel bolts.

Ralph Boothe was a maker and seller of Porsche bling: chrome lug bolts, center caps, center caps that don't spin with the wheels, etc., until health (?) issues caused his retirement.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Did you remember to check those little cubbies behind the seat and perhaps the flip up armrest on the door for the tool? I always forget about those cubbyholes.

·
Registered
2006 Porsche Cayman S
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you remember to check those little cubbies behind the seat and perhaps the flip up armrest on the door for the tool? I always forget about those cubbyholes.
Unfortunately no luck, I even checked under the seats :)

·
Registered
2006 Porsche Cayman S
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
According to jdavis’ post I would agree you have these Ralph Boothe locking lugs. IMHO these appear to be more of a headache than anything else and would hope you replace them once you finally get them removed.
OH believe me sir, they are getting replaced. I don't know the advantage of these over standard locks but once these are off they are never going back on.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Being older wheel locks to me equal "super strength" passwords with numbers, capitals and the like. They end up thwarting the legitimate owner more than potential criminals.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I had these locks on my 964 several years ago, they came with it when I bought it. I believe the claim was that they had the same weight and appearance as the stock wheel nuts. They did look nice, but removal and installation was annoying since you had to deal with two pieces. The locks and keys went with my car when I sold it.

I think you'll probably have to fabricate a key unless you can find someone that has a matching one. Someone with a lot of skill might be able to drill through the ring to crack it open.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think you'll probably have to fabricate a key unless you can find someone that has a matching one. Someone with a lot of skill might be able to drill through the ring to crack it open.
Or someone with a minimal amount of skill could probably tack weld an appropriately size lug nut to the end of the exposed shaft of the bolt.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts