Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
Porsche used to use alloy lug nuts which could be broken off by a yahoo with an impact wrench leaving a ring holding the wheel on with no way to remove it. The solution was a Porsche tool to cut it out. Basically a hollow end mill that just fit over the stud. Once the remaining bit of the lug nut was cut away the wheel was removed and the stud replaced. Perhaps this would work here.

A Porsche dealer or good indy may still have such a tool. The process was in the older shop manuals. I know it was in my 944S2 manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Porsche used to use alloy lug nuts which could be broken off by a yahoo with an impact wrench leaving a ring holding the wheel on with no way to remove it. The solution was a Porsche tool to cut it out. Basically a hollow end mill that just fit over the stud. Once the remaining bit of the lug nut was cut away the wheel was removed and the stud replaced. Perhaps this would work here.

A Porsche dealer or good indy may still have such a tool. The process was in the older shop manuals. I know it was in my 944S2 manual.
I've heard that a hole saw that is just larger than the stud can be used in this way to remove wheel locks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Maybe, if the cutting edge has industrial diamonds embedded in it. Don't think that regular steel hole saw teeth would be sufficient to cut the steel locking bolt, but HMMV.

330px-Drill_arbor_holesaw_2.jpg 330px-Drill_diamond_core.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
In the original case the nut was aluminum. Not sure about steel but may be worth a try. A nut is typically softer than the stud.

If one could find a hole saw that would fit the stud closely enough to be properly guided it may work. I've had success cutting steel with bimetal saws, though it wasn't hardened steel.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Maybe, if the cutting edge has industrial diamonds embedded in it. Don't think that regular steel hole saw teeth would be sufficient to cut the steel locking bolt, but HMMV.

View attachment 270640 View attachment 270641
You could try a tile bit for your drill but for that size I'd be afraid it would not be deep enough. Try a search for this to see if it would suit the need:

BRUTE S33 GRANITE, MARBLE & STONE SPECIALTY DIAMOND CORE BIT BY DITEQ

I found it at Tools Direct.
Good luck

·
Registered
2006 Porsche Cayman S
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So far no response from the guy jDavis sold his key too, going to see what a shop says before I try to tackle this myself. Real erk'd with the previous owner though, I have had wheel locks on 8 different cars and never forgot to pass the wheel lock on with them, GUHHHHH.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Try a "Universal Socket Wrench." Its a collection of pins housed in a socket and you might be able to get it to seat into one or more of those holes. Good luck

·
Registered
2006 Porsche Cayman S
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Try a "Universal Socket Wrench." Its a collection of pins housed in a socket and you might be able to get it to seat into one or more of those holes. Good luck
Great idea, thanks!

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
That head looks so rusted that I'd hate to think how rusted the threads are. I really doubt any "key" or universal socket that uses the head's indents will be able to grip enough to withstand the torque needed to loosen. Sorry, but you may have some new wheels in your future.

·
Registered
2006 Porsche Cayman S
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
That head looks so rusted that I'd hate to think how rusted the threads are. I really doubt any "key" or universal socket that uses the head's indents will be able to grip enough to withstand the torque needed to loosen. Sorry, but you may have some new wheels in your future.
What good are new wheels if you can't get the current ones off...

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
What good are new wheels if you can't get the current ones off...
I'm thinking the only way to get them off is to damage/destroy them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Here is what has got me out of jams plenty of times with busted bolts, nuts, etc.

Get a lug nut with no cap and run it through the stud until the stud is about an 1/8” from being flush with the other side of the lug nut. Then weld the end up flush welding the lug to your stud. Take a socket and back it out. I made a quick couple pictures with a nut and bolt before and after welding to give you a visual. Sorry if the photos are huge I’m currently at work and not sure how to resize on my phone.

75A1144A-B823-4FFB-B025-09B8A7FA9093.jpeg 37E00C16-BE77-42A2-836A-0351DD11A751.jpeg

·
Registered
2006 Porsche Cayman S
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Here is what has got me out of jams plenty of times with busted bolts, nuts, etc.

Get a lug nut with no cap and run it through the stud until the stud is about an 1/8” from being flush with the other side of the lug nut. Then weld the end up flush welding the lug to your stud. Take a socket and back it out. I made a quick couple pictures with a nut and bolt before and after welding to give you a visual. Sorry if the photos are huge I’m currently at work and not sure how to resize on my phone.

View attachment 270681 View attachment 270682
Makes complete sense to me, thanks!

·
Registered
2006 Porsche Cayman S
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
DING DING DING, we have a winner! $5 5/8" deep socket, some modeling clay, hack saw, bench grinder and 30 minutes later we have a key. Got the bolt off to prove it works, now to get the replacement lug bolts in the mail.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts